module metadata variables

Roland Koebler

Hi,

many Python-modules contain metadata-variables, like __author__ etc.
But most documentation-tools only support some of these variables, and
some tools even define their own metadata-variables.

So far, I found:
- pydoc (-> pydoc.py):
__author__
__credits__
__date__
__version__ (additionally converting '$Revision: ...$' to '...')

- epydoc (-> http://epydoc.sourceforge.net/manual-fields.html):
__author__
__authors__
__contact__
__copyright__
__date__
__deprecated__
__license__
__version__

- some modules also use:
__revision__

So, my question is:
Is there any "generic" definition of these variables?
Otherwise it may be good to define a "standard" set of such
metadata variables.

And I think pydoc should be extended to at least support __copyright__
and __license__. I'll send a patch for this, except there is any
reason against it.

regards,
Roland