modules path

Python

Hi there,

I moved a few modules into the modules folder (on OSX: /opt/local/lib/
python2.5/site-packages/).
They don't show up though when I start IDLE...

Is there a way to reload the modules folders in sys.path without
logging out and back in?

something like "source .cshrc" in a shell...

thanks in advance,

Arno

John Machin

Hi there,

I moved a few modules into the modules folder (on OSX: /opt/local/lib/
python2.5/site-packages/).
They don't show up though when I start IDLE...

Is there a way to reload the modules folders in sys.path without
logging out and back in?

I know nothing about OS X, but no "reload" step should be necessary.
Each Python process, whether run from IDLE or some other tool or from
the shell, will form its own idea of sys.path.

So: What modules? What type of file (.py, .pyc, .egg, .zip, .so) are
you talking about? Did their documentation say that moving the files
into site-packages was all the installation that was needed? What does
"don't show up when I start IDLE" mean?

When you start IDLE and do
import sys, pprint
pprint.pprint(sys.path)
do you see the site-packages directory containing the module files?

What happens when you do
import amodule # substitute correct module name here
?

Repeat the above two steps for each of
(1) running Python from the shell
(2) running Python from the shell with the -v option

HTH,
John

Python

--
I installed pyGTK from MacPorts
for some reason Macports installs these modules in the /opt/ folder

i appended the path and IDLE found them
I should have thought a bit more before asking...
saturday night... why am I here anyway ;)

now one question came up, how do I make those path permanent?
i mean, sys.path.append(<path)> adds it for the current session,
yet when i logout of IDLE and start it again it's gone...
how do i keep it in there?

thanks for the answer John...

Arno

Gabriel Genellina

now one question came up, how do I make those path permanent?
i mean, sys.path.append(<path)> adds it for the current session,
yet when i logout of IDLE and start it again it's gone...
how do i keep it in there?

You can add that path to the PYTHONPATH environment variable, or you can put a .pth file in the current Lib directory, containing the desired path.
See http://docs.python.org/inst/search-path.html and the documentation for the site module (although it appears not to be totally accurate).

Python

You can add that path to the PYTHONPATH environment variable, or you
can put a .pth file in the current Lib directory, containing the
desired path.
See http://docs.python.org/inst/search-path.html and the
documentation for the site module (although it appears not to be
totally accurate).

i read that but was wondering why some modules installed by macports
did show up
in the path and some didn't
the PYTHONPATH wasn't set anywhere in my shell

I did add it and now it works!

Thanks John & Gabriel!

gr
Arno