More gems than CPAN modules?

Phillip Gawlowski

cpan.org shows 21,674 distributions, while rubygems.org shows 19,428 gems.
I'm not sure what they're scraping.

Maybe the good old RAA, too. I have no idea if the site controls for
multiple identical listings, or how the variants of Gems / modules are
counted (QT-Ruby exists for at least Qt 3 and Qt 4, would those count
as one gem or two gems? What about wxRuby? Rails? Etc.)

The metric itself is debatable, anyway. Different capabilities of the
standard libraries lead to different gems/modules, and several
gems/modules solve the same problem in different ways. Not to mention
if a module/gem is still actively maintained or not (and how would you
measure *that*?).

--
Phillip Gawlowski

Though the folk I have met,
(Ah, how soon!) they forget
When I've moved on to some other place,
There may be one or two,
When I've played and passed through,
Who'll remember my song or my face.

Xavier Noria

cpan.org shows 21,674 distributions, while rubygems.org shows 19,428 gems.
I'm not sure what they're scraping.

They count registered modules which is not a meaningful CPAN metric.

Registering a module is something optional, it requires application
etc. That's a fraction of CPAN.

Since "module" is a Perl term (think .pm), to refer to a "library"
CPAN uses the term "distribution", that's what you can compare
numbers with. There are more distributions than gems as of this
writing.

Xavier Noria

You want quality over quantity. :)

Only, do not assume more quantity implies less quality :)

In fact, CPAN's standards regarding test suites and documentation are,
generally speaking, still not matched in my opinion. Not to mention
CPAN Testers etc.

Gems are getting better and better, but in my view there's still walk to walk.