Move xml.sax.saxutils.*?

chris.atlee

It seems like functions such as xml.sax.saxutils.escape and unescape
are generally useful, and not at all tied to the xml.sax module. Would
it make sense to move them somewhere else, like to xml?

I ask because it just took me 20 minutes to figure out how to escape
entities in python. It's not obvious that this functionality should be
buried 3 modules deep.

Cheers,
Chris

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

It seems like functions such as xml.sax.saxutils.escape and unescape
are generally useful, and not at all tied to the xml.sax module. Would
it make sense to move them somewhere else, like to xml?

Moving it would be a bad idea. Exposing it elsewhere would be useful.

The precise details are best discussed at (e-mail address removed). While this
is obviously wrong, it is not at all obvious what the right thing to do
is (it never is when dealing with XML).

Regards,
Martin

uche.ogbuji

"""
It seems like functions such as xml.sax.saxutils.escape and unescape
are generally useful, and not at all tied to the xml.sax module. Would
it make sense to move them somewhere else, like to xml?
"""

It would be useful to allow

from xml import escape, unescape

But as an alias, rather than a replacement for the current import.