    What is the technology behind creating moveable containers on a web
    page like iGoogle?
    , Dec 23, 2007

  2. wrote:
    >What is the technology behind creating moveable containers on a web
    >page like iGoogle?

    Without even checking, I'd guess some CSS and a
    whole bunch of JS (Javascript). Check the source
    of the web page for any mention of javascript.

    BTW - if you want to pursue JS further, note that it
    is a different language to Java, best discussed on
    comp.lang.javascript

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    http://www.physci.org/

    Andrew Thompson, Dec 23, 2007

  3. Roedy Green Guest

    On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 23:05:27 -0800 (PST),

    >What is the technology behind creating moveable containers on a web
    >page like iGoogle?

    to see iGoogle, go to the google home page then click iGoogle in the
    upper right. I used View Source to see how the page was created. It
    seems to be doing thingswith tables, CSS and a lot of pointless
    javascript to arrange for things like the calendar. There is no need
    for the JavaScript, except perhaps for the clock.

    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    Roedy Green, Dec 23, 2007

    On Dec 23, 12:05 pm, wrote:
    > What is the technology behind creating moveable containers on a web
    > page like iGoogle?

    Looks like Portlets to me. Looking at the source code seems to be a
    moot point since the generated stuff will anyways be not any different
    from a mix of HTML markup / JS / CSS.
    , Dec 24, 2007

    On Dec 23, 12:05 am, wrote:
    > What is the technology behind creating moveable containers on a web
    > page like iGoogle?

    I suspect that some portal product was used also. Does anyone have
    any idea which product was used?
    , Dec 29, 2007

    On Dec 28 2007, 8:58 pm, wrote:
    > On Dec 23, 12:05 am, wrote:
    >
    > > What is the technology behind creating moveable containers on a web
    > > page like iGoogle?

    > I suspect that some portal product was used also. Does anyone have
    > any idea which product was used?

    I'd also like to know what technology is being used behind the scenes
    for iGoogle. I've tried to search around for an open source framework
    that provides the same basic windowed functionality and customization
    that iGoogle provides. Here is what I've found so far:

    -Pentaho Dashboards & Dashboard Builder: Appears to be a very mature
    open-source framework dashboard with reports and out-of-the-box
    features to leverage.
    -Spago Solutions: Seems similar to Pentaho, but less mature.
    -Apache Jetspeed-2: open-source implementation of JSR-168 (Portlet
    Framework), seems to be an implementation to handle common portlet
    functionality like security, but I don't think there is much boiler
    plate code for making quick widgets/mini-windows
    -Websphere Dashboard Framework: Appears to be a non-open-source
    framework for building a dashboard with reporting capabilities. I
    would guess that you probably have to be using IBM Websphere and their
    Portlet solution to use this framework.

    If anyone has experience with these frameworks please let me know how
    you've found them to work. I've only done a very high level
    investigation on each.
    , Jan 14, 2008

    On Jan 14, 3:19 pm, wrote:
    > On Dec 28 2007, 8:58 pm, wrote:
    >
    > > On Dec 23, 12:05 am, wrote:

    > > > What is the technology behind creating moveable containers on a web
    > > > page like iGoogle?

    > > I suspect that some portal product was used also. Does anyone have
    > > any idea which product was used?

    > I'd also like to know what technology is being used behind the scenes
    > for iGoogle. I've tried to search around for an open source framework
    > that provides the same basic windowed functionality and customization
    > that iGoogle provides. Here is what I've found so far:
    >
    > -Pentaho Dashboards & Dashboard Builder: Appears to be a very mature
    > open-source framework dashboard with reports and out-of-the-box
    > features to leverage.
    > -Spago Solutions: Seems similar to Pentaho, but less mature.
    > -Apache Jetspeed-2: open-source implementation of JSR-168 (Portlet
    > Framework), seems to be an implementation to handle common portlet
    > functionality like security, but I don't think there is much boiler
    > plate code for making quick widgets/mini-windows
    > -Websphere Dashboard Framework: Appears to be a non-open-source
    > framework for building a dashboard with reporting capabilities. I
    > would guess that you probably have to be using IBM Websphere and their
    > Portlet solution to use this framework.
    >
    > If anyone has experience with these frameworks please let me know how
    > you've found them to work. I've only done a very high level
    > investigation on each.

    I just found an interesting application that seems to provide the
    basic portlet/mini-windowing capabilities found on iGoogle:
    http://www.nabh.com/portal/projects/normal/0/reset/0/0?project_id=3&project_name=Stringbeans Portal
    , Jan 14, 2008

    On Jan 14, 6:41 pm, wrote:
    > On Jan 14, 3:19 pm, wrote:

    > > > I suspect that some portal product was used also. Does anyone have
    > > > any idea which product was used?

    > > I'd also like to know what technology is being used behind the scenes
    > > for iGoogle. I've tried to search around for an open source framework
    > > that provides the same basic windowed functionality and customization
    > > that iGoogle provides. Here is what I've found so far:

    > > -Pentaho Dashboards & Dashboard Builder: Appears to be a very mature
    > > open-source framework dashboard with reports and out-of-the-box
    > > features to leverage.
    > > -Spago Solutions: Seems similar to Pentaho, but less mature.
    > > -Apache Jetspeed-2: open-source implementation of JSR-168 (Portlet
    > > Framework), seems to be an implementation to handle common portlet
    > > functionality like security, but I don't think there is much boiler
    > > plate code for making quick widgets/mini-windows
    > > -Websphere Dashboard Framework: Appears to be a non-open-source
    > > framework for building a dashboard with reporting capabilities. I
    > > would guess that you probably have to be using IBM Websphere and their
    > > Portlet solution to use this framework.

    > > If anyone has experience with these frameworks please let me know how
    > > you've found them to work. I've only done a very high level
    > > investigation on each.

    > I just found an interesting application that seems to provide the
    > basic portlet/mini-windowing capabilities found on iGoogle:http://www.nabh.com/portal/projects/normal/0/reset/0/0?project_id=3&p...

    Another portlet/mini-windowing application that seems to be tried and
    trusted by the open source community is Liferay Portal. However all of
    these portal solutions don't seem to integrate easily into an existing
    application. I am still looking at the details on how to accomplish
    this.
    , Jan 16, 2008

    On 16 Jan, 17:06, wrote:
    > On Jan 14, 6:41 pm, wrote:

    > > > I'd also like to know what technology is being used behind the scenes
    > > > for iGoogle. I've tried to search around for an open source framework
    > > > that provides the same basic windowed functionality and customization
    > > > that iGoogle provides. Here is what I've found so far:

    > > > -Pentaho Dashboards & Dashboard Builder: Appears to be a very mature
    > > > open-source framework dashboard with reports and out-of-the-box
    > > > features to leverage.
    > > > -Spago Solutions: Seems similar to Pentaho, but less mature.
    > > > -Apache Jetspeed-2: open-source implementation of JSR-168 (Portlet
    > > > Framework), seems to be an implementation to handle common portlet
    > > > functionality like security, but I don't think there is much boiler
    > > > plate code for making quick widgets/mini-windows
    > > > -Websphere Dashboard Framework: Appears to be a non-open-source
    > > > framework for building a dashboard with reporting capabilities. I
    > > > would guess that you probably have to be using IBM Websphere and their
    > > > Portlet solution to use this framework.

    > > > If anyone has experience with these frameworks please let me know how
    > > > you've found them to work. I've only done a very high level
    > > > investigation on each.

    > > I just found an interesting application that seems to provide the
    > > basic portlet/mini-windowing capabilities found on iGoogle:http://www.nabh.com/portal/projects/normal/0/reset/0/0?project_id=3&p...

    > Another portlet/mini-windowing application that seems to be tried and
    > trusted by the open source community is Liferay Portal. However all of
    > these portal solutions don't seem to integrate easily into an existing
    > application. I am still looking at the details on how to accomplish
    > this.

    Check out POSH, http://www.portaneo.com/solutions/en/opensource.php
    Toni Thomsson
    www.tonjac.org