MS IE Javascript document.lastModified seasonal errors of one hour each way?

Dr John Stockton

Re FAQ 4.30 : I've been looking, with IE6 elsewhere, at my
<URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/last-mod.htm>. It was last uploaded
at about Tue 2006-02-21 23:36 GMT (genuine UK local time) and the
server directory at Demon shows that date and time (UTC).

The document.lastModified string on the page read from the Demon server
by IE4 here shows 02/21/06 23:36:05 - which, apart from FFF & Y2k, is
right.

The document.lastModified string on the page read from the Demon server
by IE6 on the Library shows 02/22/06 00:36:05 - which, apart from FFF &
Y2k, is an hour wrong.

The master file on local disc is, by DIR,
LAST-MOD HTM 3,516 21/02/06 23:35 LAST-MOD.HTM
but my local IE4 now sees the document.lastModified string as
02/21/06 22:35:32
so locally IE4 is evidently lying.

Is there any sense behind these hour-different times? How about with
other browsers? Etc.?

Just think how much better it would have been if Last-Modified had been
specified to be transmitted as seconds since 1970.0 GMT !