MSDTC Error after applying W2K3 SP2

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Paul Prewett, Apr 11, 2008.

  1. Paul Prewett

    Paul Prewett Guest

    Hi -

    I have 4 webservers in my webfarm. All Win2k3 web edition. Before
    yesterday, none of them were service packed. I have now applied SP2 to two
    of them, and I'm getting a very weird MSDTC error on them now.

    The error occurs when I attempt a series of SQL statements wrapped in a
    TransactionScope(). It's executing against a different server, so this is
    where it's elevated to a distributed transaction.

    The error is:
    System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied. (Exception from
    HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))

    And the stack trace ends here:
    System.Transactions.Oletx.IDtcProxyShimFactory.ConnectToProxy(.....

    I've checked and double checked all my MSDTC settings, and they're set
    properly. I have SP2 running elsewhere on different networks using MSDTC and
    the settings are identical.

    A DTCPing test shows that everything is OK in both directions.

    I'm 100% sure it's not my database server because the other two machines
    that aren't SP'd are still executing DT's just fine.

    I found this post:
    https://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1974418&SiteID=1

    So I ran "sc sdshow mstdc" on the machine where I'm receiving the error and
    got this output:

    D:(A;;CCLCSWRPLOCRRC;;;S-1-2-0)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)(A;;CCLCSWRPRC;;;WD)(A;;CCLCSWRPLORC;;;NS)S:(AU;FA;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;WD)

    I can't really tell whether that's right or not, though. Can anyone comment
    on that?

    I have the same problem on both machines where SP2 has been applied.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    --
    -Paul Prewett
    Paul Prewett, Apr 11, 2008

  2. Hi Paul,

    Regarding on the MSDTC access denied error, I've performed some research
    and found that such error is likely due to the default system registraction
    permission has been changed. The service pack maybe installed maybe the
    potential cause. The forum thread you referenced mentioned checking the
    access control setting(the SACL string ). Here is anther kb article you can
    also have a look which contains some more information about the security
    setting and adjustment:

    #Systems that have changed the default Access Control List permissions on
    the %windir%\registration directory may experience various problems after
    you install the Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-051 for COM+ and MS DTC
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909444

    You can also check the system eventlog to see whether there is any useful
    info there. Though I'm not expert on MSDTC /COM+, I can help you check for
    some former or exsting issues. Please feel free to post here if you have
    any new finding.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    .

    ications.

    --------------------

    Steven Cheng [MSFT], Apr 14, 2008

  3. Paul Prewett

    Paul Prewett Guest

    Thanks, Steven.

    I reviewed the article and after setting the permissions (they were already
    there under the Advanced settings, but I set them on the main just in case)
    and restarting, the problem persists.

    There are no event log entries that relate to this error except the one
    logged from ASP.NET in the App log, which provides no additional information
    (I should have mentioned that in the original post).

    On Florin Lazar's recommendation, I have posted the problem over in the
    Transactions forums, which he says is monitored by the Transactions team
    daily. I hope to make more progress there.

    http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3171653&SiteID=1

    Of course, if you have any additional ideas, I'm all ears and appreciate
    your help.

    --
    -Paul Prewett

    Paul Prewett, Apr 14, 2008
  4. Thanks for your reply Paul,

    I agree with Florin that the Transaction forum maybe the proper one.
    Actually, I've originally decided to contact Florin for some ideas on this
    issue as he posted something about this in the former thread you mentioned.
    So far I haven't any further ideas from the .NET code or configuration
    part. If you got any new result from there, welcome to post here also.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    .

    ications.

    --------------------
    >From: =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBQcmV3ZXR0?= <>

    <>
    >Subject: RE: MSDTC Error after applying W2K3 SP2
    >Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 04:51:02 -0700

    >Thanks, Steven.
    >
    >I reviewed the article and after setting the permissions (they were

    already
    >there under the Advanced settings, but I set them on the main just in

    case)
    >and restarting, the problem persists.
    >
    >There are no event log entries that relate to this error except the one
    >logged from ASP.NET in the App log, which provides no additional

    information
    >(I should have mentioned that in the original post).
    >
    >On Florin Lazar's recommendation, I have posted the problem over in the
    >Transactions forums, which he says is monitored by the Transactions team
    >daily. I hope to make more progress there.
    >
    >http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3171653&SiteID=1
    >
    >Of course, if you have any additional ideas, I'm all ears and appreciate
    >your help.
    >

    >--
    >-Paul Prewett
    >

    >"Steven Cheng [MSFT]" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Paul,
    >>
    >> Regarding on the MSDTC access denied error, I've performed some research
    >> and found that such error is likely due to the default system

    registraction
    >> permission has been changed. The service pack maybe installed maybe the
    >> potential cause. The forum thread you referenced mentioned checking the
    >> access control setting(the SACL string ). Here is anther kb article you

    can
    >> also have a look which contains some more information about the security
    >> setting and adjustment:
    >>
    >> #Systems that have changed the default Access Control List permissions

    on
    >> the %windir%\registration directory may experience various problems

    after
    >> you install the Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-051 for COM+ and MS DTC
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909444
    >>
    >> You can also check the system eventlog to see whether there is any

    useful
    >> info there. Though I'm not expert on MSDTC /COM+, I can help you check

    for
    >> some former or exsting issues. Please feel free to post here if you have
    >> any new finding.
    >>
    >> Sincerely,
    >>
    >> Steven Cheng
    >>
    >> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead
    >>

    >> Delighting our customers is our #1 priority. We welcome your comments

    and

    Please
    >> .

    >> ications.

    issues

    follow
    >> professional working with you may need further investigation to reach

    the
    >> most efficient resolution. The offering is not appropriate for

    situations
    >> project analysis and dump analysis issues. Issues of this nature are

    best
    >> handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by

    contacting
    >> http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscriptions/support/default.aspx.

    rights.

    Steven Cheng [MSFT], Apr 15, 2008
  5. Paul Prewett

    Paul Prewett Guest

    I haven't received much help over there yet. I was hoping that Florin would
    reply with some ideas.

    I'm really hoping not to have to burn one of my MSDN support cases on this
    one, but time is drawing near when I'm going to have to get those servers
    back into the cluster. I'm currently running at 50% in my production
    environment.

    Could you follow up with him to see if he has any ideas that he might offer?

    Much appreciated, Steven.

    --
    -Paul Prewett

    Paul Prewett, Apr 15, 2008
  6. Hi Paul,

    Sure, I've already sent email to Florin with the issue description and wait
    for some further suggestion from him. I'll inform you if I get any update
    from him.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    .

    ications.

    --------------------
    >From: =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBQcmV3ZXR0?= <>

    <>
    <>
    <>
    >Subject: RE: MSDTC Error after applying W2K3 SP2
    >Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 03:35:00 -0700

    >I haven't received much help over there yet. I was hoping that Florin

    would
    >reply with some ideas.
    >
    >I'm really hoping not to have to burn one of my MSDN support cases on this
    >one, but time is drawing near when I'm going to have to get those servers
    >back into the cluster. I'm currently running at 50% in my production
    >environment.
    >
    >Could you follow up with him to see if he has any ideas that he might

    offer?

    >Much appreciated, Steven.
    >

    >--
    >-Paul Prewett
    >

    >"Steven Cheng [MSFT]" wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for your reply Paul,
    >>
    >> I agree with Florin that the Transaction forum maybe the proper one.
    >> Actually, I've originally decided to contact Florin for some ideas on

    this
    >> issue as he posted something about this in the former thread you

    mentioned.
    >> So far I haven't any further ideas from the .NET code or configuration
    >> part. If you got any new result from there, welcome to post here also.
    >>
    >> Sincerely,
    >>
    >> Steven Cheng
    >>
    >> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead
    >>

    >> Delighting our customers is our #1 priority. We welcome your comments

    and

    Please
    >> .

    >> ications.

    rights.

    Steven Cheng [MSFT], Apr 22, 2008
  7. Hi Paul,

    I've managed to get contact with Florin and it seems so far from the
    symptom you described, it does seems like the same one he encoutered
    before. Currently the best approach to troubleshooting may require
    collection further information from the problem machine and his suggestion
    is forward the issue to product support team via a profesional support
    case(since that will require more resource allocated for troubleshooting
    the issue from the product support team engineers).

    )

    Steven Cheng [MSFT], May 2, 2008