msvc and strdup?

Alf P. Steinbach

* James Kanze:
Windows from what I've seen, has a Posix
compatible layer, but it is for all practical purposes
unusable---it's just there to be able to claim Posix compliance
when that is required

I think what you mean is that Windows C++ compilers typically provide a
bunch of Posix functions.

That's different from Posix compatibility. Windows had a Posix
compatibility layer, for Posix 0.9, from Windows NT 3.5 or thereabouts,
but that worked as a console program environment sort of isolated from
the rest of Windows. However, AFAIK it's removed in Windows XP, and
instead one can run a free *nix environment provided by Microsoft.

Of course that doesn't have much to do with C++, except that the MS *nix
environment includes the open source g++ compiler.