    separate xml file?

    Thanks in advance
    Bubu

    Bubu, Aug 23, 2006

  2. Bubu

    Rik Guest

    Bubu wrote:
    > Hello, I need to create a multilanguage site.
    > I'm trying to make a page like this:
    >
    > www.register.it
    >
    > If a user change the language pushing the text (bottom left) the page
    > translate.
    > I notice that after the page the link add the ?chglng=en
    >
    > It's possible and convenient to write the text for the pages in a
    > separate xml file?

    Yes, or use another datasource like a database, csv, etc.

    Grtz,
    --
    Rik Wasmus

    Rik, Aug 23, 2006

  3. Bubu

    Dan Guest

    Dan, Aug 23, 2006
  4. Bubu

    Bubu Guest

    Bubu wrote:
    > Hello, I need to create a multilanguage site.
    > I'm trying to make a page like this:
    >
    > www.register.it
    >
    > If a user change the language pushing the text (bottom left) the page
    > translate.
    > I notice that after the page the link add the ?chglng=en
    >
    > It's possible and convenient to write the text for the pages in a
    > separate xml file?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Bubu

    Thanks to all

    Bubu

    Bubu, Aug 24, 2006
  5. Bubu <> scripsit:

    > Hello, I need to create a multilanguage site.

    That's easy (relatively speaking). Maintaining it isn't.

    > I'm trying to make a page like this:
    >
    > www.register.it

    Don't. Using language codes alone as links to different language versions is
    surely not sufficient. Besides, three-letter codes are less commonly known
    than two-letter codes.

    For a small set of languages, the best approach is to make each link contain
    the name of the site in that language, and put the language name or code in
    parentheses after the link, for example.

    More notes (somewhat dusty...): http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/multi/

    > If a user change the language pushing the text (bottom left)

    If he ever finds it.

    > the page translate.

    Hardly. You need someone to translate it. And to maintain the translation
    when the primary copy is modified.

    > I notice that after the page the link add the ?chglng=en

    From outside, we cannot tell what the browser does with the URL. (Educated
    guesses are possible.)

    > It's possible and convenient to write the text for the pages in a
    > separate xml file?

    It's possible, but hardly convenient for a site consisting of a few pages
    only.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/