Multiple rakes on OSX

Steve Klabnik

Hey guys-

I'm trying to work on getting Shoes working on OSX, and I'm having a small
issue...

Shoes builds its own Ruby, in /tmp/dep. This also gets it its own rubygems
and rake:

$ which rake
/tmp/dep/bin/rake

So far so good. But when I run 'rake' to compile things, apparently it's not
using that rake:

$ rake --trace

<snip>

/Users/steveklabnik/.rvm/gems/ree-1.8.7-2010.01/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:1998:in

/tmp/dep/bin/rake:31:in `<main>'

$

Does anyone have any knowledge of this kind of thing? How can I get it to
use the correct rake? I have a feeling this is why it's not building
correctly...

-Steve

Josh Cheek

[...]

In my ~/.profile, rvm sources a bunch of bash scripts that allow it to
redirect my ruby, gems, and their executables (this is what they direct you
to add to that file manually when you get to the Post Install --
http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/rvm/install/). I don't know how to read bash
to really understand what it is doing, but I would expect that is where the
problem is. Shoes and rvm competing for the same command.

-----

First thing I would try is
$ rvm use system

Then run your thing again. I don't know how "rvm use system" works, but if
it unsets all the rvm aliases, then your environment might look like what
shoes was expecting.

-----

If that doesn't work, then I would try to give the path when invoking rake

$ pwd
/tmp/dep

$ ls
[files] Rakefile [more files]

$ bin/rake
(hopefully executes your default task)

If that works, you could try to learn enough bash to maybe give yourself a
function that aliases rake to /tmp/dep/bin/rake (if you go to the bash irc
channel, and put up with being mocked for an hour / show that you are trying
to follow whatever scraps of ideas they deign to toss at you, someone will
eventually feel pity on you, and help you fix whatever bash script you're
trying to write) that would then allow you to develop like normal, after you
invoke the function, but outside the shoes dev time, rvm would still be your
Ruby queen.