multiple web applications - single webservice - multiple databases

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Philip Gray, Aug 25, 2005.

  1. Philip Gray

    Philip Gray Guest

    Hi guys,

    Bit stuck here with an architectural decision for this app I'm designing and
    I'd appreciate any input anyone might have

    I'm designing a browser-based system in asp.net that will have a variety of
    different front-ends for different customers and a corresponding variety of
    back-end databases.

    What I want to do, if I can is design one webservice that will sit between
    all of these web applications and their databases. I'd also like to avoid
    passing the connection info with every single request.

    So far, I've tried a few things - my first attempt was creating a virtual
    directory for the web service under each client site that would use it and
    trying to get it to pick up its connection info from the parent application.
    Suffice to say, this was not very successful at all, but should give you an
    idea of where I'd like to be.

    Any thoughts, folks?

    Thanks in advance.
    Philip Gray, Aug 25, 2005