Multithreading file IO

Discussion in 'Java' started by Ahmed Moustafa, Sep 18, 2003.

  1. Where can I find some reading materials regarding multithreading file IO?

    Thanks in advance,
    Ahmed Moustafa, Sep 18, 2003

  2. > Where can I find some reading materials regarding multithreading file
    IO?

    As a certain sports articles company puts it, "just do it". Read up on
    multithreading and synchronization, work out the file IO, then run
    several threads in parallel.
    If you have a more specific question, feel free to ask.
    Regards,
    Michiel
    Michiel Konstapel, Sep 19, 2003

  3. Ahmed Moustafa

    Leon Lambert Guest

    Not sure you will find any except to say avoid it. Multple threads who
    can all access a single file gets real messy with syncronization, file
    locking, and dead lock issues. It is far better to design a simple
    worker class that manages the data storage then have other threads deal
    with that object with things like queued requests. This will prevent
    corruption of the file because only a single object in a single thread
    can access it.

    Sorry i have no specific reference to how to attempt this strategy but
    hopefully you get the idea.

    Leon Lambert

    Leon Lambert, Sep 19, 2003