    Should I maybe write my own simple DirectX code instead of using the
    AppWizard? I've also read that there is no AppWizard in the VC++ 2003
    because they found out that AppWizard isn't very helpfull to programmers.

    Lt, Oct 23, 2004

  2. Lt

    Phlip Guest

    Lt wrote:

    > Hello, I'm gonna write my first 3D multiplayer game using DirectPlay, VC++
    > .NET 2002. I've done tutorials supplied along with DXSDK Then I wanted to
    > use the DirectX AppWizard but it produced over 2300 lines of code! It's

    cool
    > to have prepared automatically all initializations but it's a little too
    > much. That's because I can't find any documentation on details HOW IT

    WORKS,
    > how I can integrate my own game code with this framework. In addition that
    > have prepared code to the Peer to Peer Game, and I need the Client-Server.
    > Should I maybe write my own simple DirectX code instead of using the
    > AppWizard? I've also read that there is no AppWizard in the VC++ 2003
    > because they found out that AppWizard isn't very helpfull to programmers.

    If you want to _design_ games, get Doom and one of its level editors.

    If you want to write an engine from scratch, 2,300 lines of code is "hello
    world". 3D code is an order of magnitude more complex than 2D code.

    Running a wizard is never the same as learning to program.

    To go forward, Google for any of the OpenGL and DirectX "game engines" that
    folks have written and thrown up on the 'net. You will see that between
    main() and a common first-person shooter, a game requires several megalines
    of code and content. Modern game projects are as big as movies, with as many
    people working on them. OpenGL and DirectX are the "assembly language" below
    all their code. Most "game engines" available for free on the net are
    attempts that bogged down in details.

    Oh, and this newsgroup works best on questions about the C++ language
    itself, not all the libraries it supports. They have their own forums, where
    you'd get the best answers to go forward. Two game engines that succeeded
    are CrystalSpace and ClanLib.

    --
    Phlip

    Phlip, Oct 23, 2004

  3. Re: [OT] my first 3D Multiplayer game using directplay (troubleswith AppWizard's code)

    Lt wrote:
    > Hello, I'm gonna write my first 3D multiplayer game using DirectPlay, VC++
    > .NET 2002. I've done tutorials supplied along with DXSDK Then I wanted to
    > use the DirectX AppWizard but it produced over 2300 lines of code! It's cool
    > to have prepared automatically all initializations but it's a little too
    > much. That's because I can't find any documentation on details HOW IT WORKS,
    > how I can integrate my own game code with this framework. In addition that
    > have prepared code to the Peer to Peer Game, and I need the Client-Server.
    > Should I maybe write my own simple DirectX code instead of using the
    > AppWizard? I've also read that there is no AppWizard in the VC++ 2003
    > because they found out that AppWizard isn't very helpfull to programmers.

    And your C++ question is?

    - J.

    Jacek Dziedzic, Oct 23, 2004
  4. Lt

    Lt Guest

    Phlip wrote:
    > If you want to _design_ games, get Doom and one of its level editors.

    No, I want to write.
    > If you want to write an engine from scratch, 2,300 lines of code is "hello
    > world". 3D code is an order of magnitude more complex than 2D code.

    I know, I know :) And because I'm not an experienced game programmer
    (although I've been programming somewhat in Direct3D) I want to start with
    very simple game (but more complicated than Tetris :) And later grow up my
    code.

    > Running a wizard is never the same as learning to program.

    Exactly.

    ..Lt

    Lt, Oct 23, 2004
  5. Lt

    Aggro Guest

    Re: my first 3D Multiplayer game using directplay (troubles withAppWizard's code)

    Lt wrote:

    > very simple game (but more complicated than Tetris :) And later grow up my

    Tetris is not as trivial as it first might look like. Have you done
    tetris ever?

    Aggro, Oct 23, 2004
  6. Lt

    Lt Guest

    Aggro wrote:
    > Tetris is not as trivial as it first might look like. Have you done
    > tetris ever?

    Unfortunately no :(

    Lt, Oct 23, 2004