my java is broken !

bilsch

That is totally untrue.

Both the compiler ("javac") and the runtime ("java") respect classpaths,
and the latter respects source paths. With those, you can compile and run
Java code from any directory regardless of your current directory.

Would you care to elaborate on this or give me a link where I can read
about it?
Please, please, please, please, *please* RTFM!

I don't have the FM

Martin Gregorie

It is interesting and I grasp the concepts but actually doing those
things myself is beyond me.
Learn to use the command line and teach yourself the basics of writing
shell scripts. Without these basic skills you're essentially crippling
yourself.

If you understand any non-UNIX OS, get a copy of "Linux in a Nutshell".
If don't know any OS at a reasonable depth, i.e you're not a power user,
you need a less terse book. I hear that 'Linux for Dummies' is OK but
haven't used it myself because I started using UNIX and UNIX clones in
the late '80s, so the way Linux works was just more of the same when I
started to use it.
I can't find any documentation for command line java and javac.
"java -?" or "man java" on the command line. Same for javac.
Or download and read the JDK documentation - this is a separate download
from the JDK or JRE packages. If you don't have it installed you should
do so.

markspace

Would you care to elaborate on this or give me a link where I can read
about it? ....

I don't have the FM

There's an old FAQ floating about the web titled "How to Ask Smart
Questions" or something like that. It also has some standard answers,
like STFW or "search the f'ing web." It's a standard answer because it
works. I typed "javac" into Google and the first thing it should me was
an Oracle page on how to use javac. It was and old 1.4 page, so I
searched for "javac 6" and got the most recent page.

P.S. Found it:

Lew

bilsch said:
I can't find any documentation for command line java and javac.

What steps have you taken to find it?

Please specify the queries you used, and to which search engines, and what
other web resources and literature you used.