    http://arstechnica.com/index.ars

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 16, 2004

  2. Blinky the Shark

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > It appears to toggle between a fixed-width page and a liquid page.
    > http://arstechnica.com/index.ars

    Doesn't seem to here. Seems to toggle between two different fixed width
    layouts, with slightly different widths.

    > Given that it's been coded for fluidity anyway, what would be the perceived
    > value in offering a rigid rendering

    I think it's a bit of a "because I can" feature.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Dec 16, 2004

  3. Toby Inkster wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> It appears to toggle between a fixed-width page and a liquid page.
    >> http://arstechnica.com/index.ars

    > Doesn't seem to here. Seems to toggle between two different fixed
    > width layouts, with slightly different widths.

    Holy cow -- you're right. The columns simply narrowing to another fixed
    width tricked me; I didn't catch that they were still fixed. Looks like
    I happened* to have my width just right that the narrow style fit it
    closely enough to fool me.

    *I don't generally pay attention to its size, and tend to move it around
    and resize it now and then.

    >> Given that it's been coded for fluidity anyway, what would be the
    >> perceived value in offering a rigid rendering

    > I think it's a bit of a "because I can" feature.

    How about the font-size buttons? Useful, I guess for someone who
    doesn't have a browser that will resize the page (either the whole
    page, like opera, or the text, like Moz/FF) that would be useful --
    although I wouldn't say the range goes high enough for any serious
    vision disabilities. I don't know where the line would be drawn
    (probably at a different place for each user), but this seems to be
    more of a comfort setting than an accessability setting (except for
    a very small subset of impairment levels). So I suppose that's also
    a "because I can" feature.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Dec 16, 2004
  4. Blinky the Shark

    rf Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    > > It appears to toggle between a fixed-width page and a liquid page.
    > > http://arstechnica.com/index.ars

    > Doesn't seem to here. Seems to toggle between two different fixed width
    > layouts, with slightly different widths.

    Resize your browser in the two different modes. One is fixed. The other is
    liquid. Right out to 4000 pixels.

    > I think it's a bit of a "because I can" feature.

    Yes.

    Why offer a nice liquid design and then offer another fixed variation unless
    it's to keep the "fixed width is good" crowd" happy?

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Dec 16, 2004