mysql crash: IE and missing CSS-background.image

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Bernhard Sturm, Apr 27, 2006.

  1. Hi group
    Something I just discovered, and something that completely puzzles me:

    I have a site under construction that is based on the CMS Joomla!. I use
    my own written template which uses two CSS files for the design.
    The page loads perfectly under firefox, but eats a lot of server
    resources when visited with IE 6 or IE 7 beta.
    After a request from IE on my local debian server the MySQL server slows
    down for approx 2-5 minutes, and then recovers again.

    I am able to shut down all sites on my hosting provider that are based
    on mysql, by simply accessing the site with IE. (it's a shared hosting
    environment)

    I just discovered that while loading a page IE tries to load a
    background-image defined in the CSS that does not exist (my fault).
    After I have deleted the line with the missing background-image in my
    CSS, there are no further server issues anymore...

    Just curious: did anyone ever observed a similar behaviour? I can only
    imagine that IE tries to fetch the image, and simultaneaously starts
    requesting the joomla! CMS-DB which then in turn causes the mysql-server
    into an overload... but that's just a well uneducated guess.

    The test site is located under:
    http://test.schritt-weise.ch (all in German and might be offline, due to
    testing)

    cheers for any replies