MySQLdb & Python 2.4 on Windows

Matthias Verniers

Hello

Yesterday I installed Python 2.4. Since I often work with MySQL, I need
the MySQLdb module, wich worked fine under 2.3. Now, it doesn't work
under 2.4, it says it needs python 2.3 when I try to install the module.
Now I have some (rather nooby) questions:
1. Has anyone tried installing MySQLdb 1.0 under Python 2.4 and has he
succeeded? Please let me know how to do it or where I can find more
information.
2. Is it possible to use Python 2.4 & 2.3 next to each other without
conflicts? This is probably not a real descent solution...
It wouldn't be a problem to downgrade to 2.3, but since 2.4 works fine
too, I don't see why I shouldn't use it, if I don't mind the MySQL
problems of course.

Thanks in advance!

Matthias

Fredrik Lundh

Matthias said:
2. Is it possible to use Python 2.4 & 2.3 next to each other without conflicts?

yes, assuming "next to each other" means "on the same machine".

but binary extensions are bound to the Python version they were built
for; you cannot use a 2.3 extension with 2.4 on windows.

</F>

Matthias Verniers

Fredrik Lundh schreef:
Matthias Verniers wrote:

yes, assuming "next to each other" means "on the same machine".

but binary extensions are bound to the Python version they were built
for; you cannot use a 2.3 extension with 2.4 on windows.

</F>
Yes, that is what I mean. I think I will switch back to 2.3 for a while,
untill MySQLdb can work with 2.4 or untill I find a way to use it with
2.4. Thanks for your help!

Matthias

Steve Holden

Fredrik said:
Matthias Verniers wrote:

yes, assuming "next to each other" means "on the same machine".

but binary extensions are bound to the Python version they were built
for; you cannot use a 2.3 extension with 2.4 on windows.
Using the recently-publicized methods for the using the freely-available
(i.e. costless) Microsoft tool chain I managed to create a Windows
installer for MySQLdb-1.1.4.

If anyone's interested in this I guess I could post it on a web site
and/or let Andy Dustman have a copy.

[pauses to check that the module actually imports and works ...]

Yep, works fine for a small test ;-) so I'm mailing it to Andy next
thing I do.

regards
Steve

Steve Holden

Steve said:
Using the recently-publicized methods for the using the freely-available
(i.e. costless) Microsoft tool chain I managed to create a Windows
installer for MySQLdb-1.1.4.

Whoops, make that "... for MySQLdb-1.0.0"

caught-using-the-time-machine-ly y'rs - steve

Matthias Verniers

Steve Holden schreef:
Fredrik said:
Matthias Verniers wrote:

yes, assuming "next to each other" means "on the same machine".

but binary extensions are bound to the Python version they were built
for; you cannot use a 2.3 extension with 2.4 on windows.
Using the recently-publicized methods for the using the freely-available
(i.e. costless) Microsoft tool chain I managed to create a Windows
installer for MySQLdb-1.1.4.

If anyone's interested in this I guess I could post it on a web site
and/or let Andy Dustman have a copy.

[pauses to check that the module actually imports and works ...]

Yep, works fine for a small test ;-) so I'm mailing it to Andy next
thing I do.

regards
Steve

Good job! It would be nice if I could have a copy of your installer. I
am one of the interested people ;-)
Regards

Matthias

Matthias Verniers

Steve Holden schreef:
Matthias Verniers wrote:

[...]
Good job! It would be nice if I could have a copy of your installer. I
am one of the interested people ;-)
Regards
As I reported, I've shipped a copy of the installer to Andy Dustman, so
it will appear on SourceForge in due course. For those who can't wait,
there's a copy at

http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/MySQL-python.exe-1.0.0.win32-py2.4.exe

Enjoy!

regards
Steve
Thanks a lot! I just installed it and it works fine! Good job!
I think many people will be happy with this :)

Regards
Matthias