n-dim permutation matrix/generator?

robert

for the purpose of flat n-dim iteration a function or generator ndim_permute(*v) should compute or generate a list of tuples like:

ndim_permute( (0,1,2), (0,1), (0,1), ) ->

0 0 0
0 0 1
0 0 2
0 1 0
0 1 1
0 1 1
1 0 1

what is a good solution? Or is there already a total iterator existing somewhere in the stdlib?

robert

Anton Vredegoor

robert said:
for the purpose of flat n-dim iteration a function or generator
ndim_permute(*v) should compute or generate a list of tuples like:

ndim_permute( (0,1,2), (0,1), (0,1), ) ->

0 0 0
0 0 1
0 0 2
0 1 0
0 1 1
0 1 1

hmm ... shouldn't his be (0 1 2) ?
1 0 1

what is a good solution? Or is there already a total iterator existing
somewhere in the stdlib?

I think there are good solutions in the python cookbook at:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python

But it gives a page mentioning 'system difficulties' now, so I can't
check. Someone else will post the link to their favorite recipe.
Meanwhile, this gives me a chance to plug some of my experimental code :)

A.

def ncycle(seq,n):
while True:
for x in seq:
for dummy in xrange(n):
yield x

def cross(*args):
p,R = 1,[]
for arg in args:
L = list(arg)
R.append(ncycle(L,p))
p *= len(L)
R.reverse()
for dummy in xrange(p):
yield tuple(x.next() for x in R)

def test():
for x in cross((0,1,2), (0,1), (0,1)):
print x

if __name__=='__main__':
test()

guenter.jantzen

If your products are not too big you may use the following approach

def cross(*L):
P=[()]
for i in range(len(L)):
P_=[]