n-dimensional raytracer

Discussion in 'Java' started by Thorsten Kiefer, Jan 1, 2013.

  1. Thorsten Kiefer, Jan 1, 2013

  2. Thorsten Kiefer

    Lew Guest

    Thorsten Kiefer wrote:
    > this is an example program :

    For maximum clarity, Usenet posts should have all relevant information in
    the body of the post proper.

    > https://github.com/******/RayMultiDim.git
    > https://github.com/******/CPURootBeer.git
    >
    > Needs at least an 8-core cpu [sic].

    Well, I'm sure you are very proud.

    What is this, is it even in Java, and why should we care?

    I am rather interested in how you determined that this program
    (it is a program, right?) needs an eight-core CPU.

    Care to share?

    But don't share here if the program isn't written in Java.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Jan 1, 2013

  3. Thorsten Kiefer

    Joerg Meier Guest

    On Tue, 1 Jan 2013 10:21:40 -0800 (PST), Lew wrote:

    > Thorsten Kiefer wrote:
    >> this is an example program :

    > For maximum clarity, Usenet posts should have all relevant information in
    > the body of the post proper.
    >> https://github.com/******/RayMultiDim.git
    >> https://github.com/******/CPURootBeer.git

    >> Needs at least an 8-core cpu [sic].

    > Well, I'm sure you are very proud.

    > What is this, is it even in Java, and why should we care?

    > I am rather interested in how you determined that this program
    > (it is a program, right?) needs an eight-core CPU.

    > Care to share?

    > But don't share here if the program isn't written in Java.

    It's Java, albeit pretty horrible Java - Exceptions are quietly swallowed,
    everything is public, no comments, and the parts of the program I looked at
    look like one giant race condition, where bugs are treated with the good
    old "sleep and retry in a moment" method.

    I could also find no indication that this program would need a special kind
    of CPU, other than it spawning 16 ThreadS. My best guess is that this is a
    port of a C program by someone who doesn't understand Java very well yet,
    and probably never programmed for a living.

    Liebe Gruesse,
    Joerg

    ungelesen.
    Joerg Meier, Jan 1, 2013
  4. Thorsten Kiefer

    Lew Guest

    Joerg Meier wrote:
    > Lew wrote:
    >> Thorsten Kiefer wrote:
    >>> this is an example program :

    >> For maximum clarity, Usenet posts should have all relevant information in
    >> the body of the post proper.
    >>> https://github.com/******/RayMultiDim.git
    >>> https://github.com/******/CPURootBeer.git

    >>> Needs at least an 8-core cpu [sic].

    >> Well, I'm sure you are very proud.

    >> What is this, is it even in Java, and why should we care?

    >> I am rather interested in how you determined that this program
    >> (it is a program, right?) needs an eight-core CPU.

    >> Care to share?

    >> But don't share here if the program isn't written in Java.

    > It's Java, albeit pretty horrible Java - Exceptions are quietly swallowed,

    Good news. Then it's on topic.

    > everything is public, no comments, and the parts of the program I looked at
    > look like one giant race condition, where bugs are treated with the good
    > old "sleep and retry in a moment" method.
    >
    > I could also find no indication that this program would need a special kind
    > of CPU, other than it spawning 16 ThreadS. My best guess is that this is a
    > port of a C program by someone who doesn't understand Java very well yet,
    > and probably never programmed for a living.

    So let's punt back to the OP: What would you like from us with regard to
    your post?

    Are you looking for comments? Advice?

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Jan 1, 2013
  5. Am 01.01.2013 23:17, schrieb Lew:
    > Joerg Meier wrote:
    >>> For maximum clarity, Usenet posts should have all relevant information in
    >>> the body of the post proper.

    >>> Well, I'm sure you are very proud.

    >>> What is this, is it even in Java, and why should we care?

    >>> I am rather interested in how you determined that this program
    >>> (it is a program, right?) needs an eight-core CPU.

    >>> Care to share?

    >>> But don't share here if the program isn't written in Java.

    >> It's Java, albeit pretty horrible Java - Exceptions are quietly swallowed,

    > Good news. Then it's on topic.
    >
    >> everything is public, no comments, and the parts of the program I looked at
    >> look like one giant race condition, where bugs are treated with the good
    >> old "sleep and retry in a moment" method.
    >>
    >> I could also find no indication that this program would need a special kind
    >> of CPU, other than it spawning 16 ThreadS. My best guess is that this is a
    >> port of a C program by someone who doesn't understand Java very well yet,
    >> and probably never programmed for a living.

    > So let's punt back to the OP: What would you like from us with regard to
    > your post?
    >
    > Are you looking for comments? Advice?

    Yes, I would like some comments :)
    The reason, why I said it needs an 8-core, is such that it renders in
    realtime.

    Regards
    Thorsten
    Thorsten Kiefer, Jan 2, 2013
  6. Thorsten Kiefer

    Lew Guest

    Thorsten Kiefer wrote:
    > schrieb Lew:
    >> Joerg Meier wrote:

    [snip]

    > [snip]
    >
    >>> It's Java, albeit pretty horrible Java - Exceptions are quietly swallowed,

    >> Good news. Then it's on topic.

    >>> everything is public, no comments, and the parts of the program I looked at
    >>> look like one giant race condition, where bugs are treated with the good
    >>> old "sleep and retry in a moment" method.

    >>> I could also find no indication that this program would need a special kind
    >>> of CPU, other than it spawning 16 ThreadS. My best guess is that this is a
    >>> port of a C program by someone who doesn't understand Java very well yet,
    >>> and probably never programmed for a living.

    >> So let's punt back to the OP: What would you like from us with regard to
    >> your post?
    >> Are you looking for comments? Advice?

    > Yes, I would like some comments :)

    Be careful what you wish for.

    > The reason, why I said it needs an 8-core, is such that it renders in
    > realtime.

    How did you relate that to number of cores?

    Your code needs an awful lot of work. You've got source that does nothing, Swing GUIs
    started off the EDT, non-conventional variable names and indentation, and the issues Joerg
    mentioned.

    Check out the Java online tutorials at oracle.com and snoop around there for the Java
    coding conventions.

    If you make a request to the newsgroup, you have to actually state what the request is.

    Thank you for responding to our questions.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Jan 2, 2013
  7. Thorsten Kiefer

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 1/2/2013 5:04 AM, Thorsten Kiefer wrote:
    > Am 01.01.2013 23:17, schrieb Lew:
    >> Joerg Meier wrote:

    > The reason, why I said it needs an 8-core, is such that it renders in
    > realtime.

    So it will render in realtime with 8 core no matter
    the speed of those core or what ISA they are?

    How do you achieve that in Java? Test on number
    of cores?

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jan 3, 2013
  8. Thorsten Kiefer

    bob smith Guest

    bob smith, Jan 3, 2013
  9. Thorsten Kiefer

    Stefan Ram Guest

    bob smith <> writes:
    >If it is n-dimensional, what values of n make sense other than 3?

    »We demonstrate our method on scenes with a 3 to 5
    dimensional space«

    hachisuka08multidimensional.pdf
    Stefan Ram, Jan 3, 2013
  10. Thorsten Kiefer

    Lew Guest

    Stefan Ram wrote:
    > bob smith writes:
    >> If it is n-dimensional, what values of n make sense other than 3?

    > »We demonstrate our method on scenes with a 3 to 5
    > dimensional space«
    >
    > hachisuka08multidimensional.pdf

    We should google for this, eh?

    --