    Is it possible in java to communicate through a named pipe on unix systems ?

    thanks

    John

    Bruintje Beer, Sep 27, 2005

  2. On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:35:44 +0200, Bruintje Beer wrote:
    > Is it possible in java to communicate through a named pipe on unix
    > systems ?

    Named pipes look just like files to your application.

    You can't create them from Java without an external helper, but you
    can write to them and read from them with FileOutputStream and
    FileInputStream.

    /gordon

    Gordon Beaton, Sep 27, 2005

  3. Bruintje Beer

    Roedy Green Guest

    wrote or quoted :

    >Is it possible in java to communicate through a named pipe on unix systems ?

    if there is a way to disguise them as filenames you could. Java's
    pipes are for internal communication only.

    See http://mindprod.com/applets/fileio.html

    for how to write i/o with Java style pipes.

    You could of course always write some JNI.

    See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jni.html
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Sep 27, 2005