Need advice on datagridview alternative

Terry Olsen

I have a web page that uses a DataGridView to display data from an SQL
database. I have added a lot more fields to the SQL database but don't want
to have have an extremely wide DataGrid.

What I'd like to do is have a listing of the basic information for each
record, then the user can click on a record to expand the detailed
information for that record.

I'd like to do this using native VWD components. I don't want to use any 3rd
party stuff. Can anyone give some advice on what can do this or how to do
it?

Thanks!

Eliyahu Goldin

One of the options is to have the datagrid with all columns, both the basic
and the details, but to make only the basic visible. The details will be
hidden. You can have a separate panel on the form where you can place the
details for the currently selected row. You will need to write some
javascript to set the detail controls on the panel to the values of the
hidden columns.

Guest

Terry,
Probably the easiest way to handle this is to have the ID column displayed
with a Hyperlink control, which would point to either the same page with the
id on the querystring, or to a separate detail page (can be a popup window).
You would then use a second grid, DataList or similar control which would
accept the ID from the querystring and display complete details of the single
row - all fields, in a table.
Peter