    I'm wondering what are the disadvantages of using ViewState against Session, beside the fact that the former slows the rendering of HTML as well as the data is visible to the user

    Are there other issues I should be concerned about, such as memory overhead on the server, as the number of users grow? Are ViewState values unique to a session/page, or are they of application level? Is there a need for ViewState clean up (sounds silly because I think the answer is no, but I want to make sure

    Thanks in advance for any reply.
    =?Utf-8?B?amVubg==?=, Mar 1, 2004

  2. ViewState and SessionState both exist for good reasons, and there are times
    when using one or the other is a good idea. ViewState doesn't take up server
    resources (memory), but it can slow down response time from the server due
    to the amount of data being transmitted to the browser, and is only
    persistent at Page scope. That is, ViewState only lives as long as the
    current WebForm is loaded and posting back to itself. Once the user
    navigates away from that Page, ViewState is lost. SessionState lasts an
    entire single user Session, and is persistent across Pages. It does consume
    some server resources during its lifetime, and can time out. Keeping these
    in mind, and handling their eventualities should make SessionState a viable
    storage persistence medium for objects with Session scope.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    "jenn" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was using Sessionto persist datatables, but now I don't think it's good

    idea to do so as Session can cause overhead on the server (as the number of
    users grow), so I use ViewState to store the datatables instead.

    Kevin Spencer, Mar 1, 2004

  3. No.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    "jenn" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Kevin,
    >
    > Thanks for the response. Sorry I wasn't clear on my previous post. The

    purpose of my using ViewState to persist datatables is to store item info in
    a shopping cart. So I only need them to persist during postbacks of a page.
    So, I think Viewstate is good enough for this purpose. But, are there other
    issues I that need to be concerned of?
    Kevin Spencer, Mar 1, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?amVubg==?=

    bruce barker Guest

    yes, as your viewstate is tied to the page post, not the server, when the
    user backs up thru the site using history, your shopping cart can easily
    lose data.

    i'd say that viewstate is a really bad design choice for a shopping cart.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Mar 1, 2004