need advice with frames - thanks

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Overnight, Apr 16, 2008.

  1. Overnight

    Overnight Guest

    I.

    I got an index page built with four frames : top, left, center and
    bottom.

    How can I block direct access to the frames' urls ?

    For example, http://..../index.html should work but not http://..../top.html.

    Can I use an HTML code which redirects to index.html if frame's url is
    typed ?
    Or should I use .htaccess file ?

    THanks for help.
     
    Overnight, Apr 16, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On Apr 16, 5:25 pm, Overnight <> wrote:
    > I got an index page built with four frames : top, left, center and
    > bottom.
    > How can I block direct access to the frames' urls ?


    You probably won't have to worry. If you are building a site with the
    frame layout mentioned above you will probably not be bothered with a
    lot of visitors. At least not ones that will ever come back.

    > THanks for help.


    No problem
     
    Travis Newbury, Apr 16, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Overnight

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Overnight <> wrote:

    > I.
    >
    > I got an index page built with four frames : top, left, center and
    > bottom.
    >
    > How can I block direct access to the frames' urls ?
    >
    > For example, http://..../index.html should work but not http://..../top.html.
    >
    > Can I use an HTML code which redirects to index.html if frame's url is
    > typed ?
    > Or should I use .htaccess file ?
    >


    None of these things. If you want to keep the flickeringly deadums
    frames technology alive, there are two ways at least to go:

    Have a prominent link on each of the frames to the effect that if
    someone lands on it in isolation and is not seeing the others (you
    describe or put an intelligent mini pic to give the idea, to go to
    index.

    Have separate framesets for each page and only use links to these
    framesets in your navigation.

    As you ponder these workarounds, you might conclude that they rather
    take the edge off the the advantages of this frames technology.

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Apr 16, 2008
    #3
  4. Overnight

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Travis Newbury <> wrote:

    > On Apr 16, 5:25 pm, Overnight <> wrote:
    > > I got an index page built with four frames : top, left, center and
    > > bottom.
    > > How can I block direct access to the frames' urls ?

    >
    > You probably won't have to worry. If you are building a site with the
    > frame layout mentioned above you will probably not be bothered with a
    > lot of visitors. At least not ones that will ever come back.
    >


    You cannot know this at all. You would be gambling with your money to
    bet on it, relying only on that if anyone used frames these days, they
    are likely to be new and less than competent, their lack of experience
    and judgement reverberating into all the areas that are relevant to
    attracting visitors.

    Here is something, Travis, from me to you, for you to misunderstand. I
    like and succeed in being badly misunderstood.

    The Obscure One.

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Apr 16, 2008
    #4
  5. Overnight wrote:

    > I got an index page built with four frames : top, left, center and
    > bottom.


    The obligatory posting:
    http://www.html-faq.com/htmlframes/?framesareevil

    Frames were invented by Netscape about a hundred years ago; they used
    them for about six months, then dumped them. Klew?

    I hate scrolling half-a-page. Use server-side includes instead, and
    present one page.

    > THanks for help.


    You're very welcome.

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista
     
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 16, 2008
    #5
  6. On Apr 16, 6:12 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:
    > Frames were invented by Netscape about a hundred years ago; they used
    > them for about six months, then dumped them. Klew?


    Oh sure.... You don't get yelled at by dorayme when you say the exact
    same thing I did.

    The only difference is I said it with some flair...
     
    Travis Newbury, Apr 17, 2008
    #6
  7. On Apr 16, 5:57 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > Here is something, Travis, from me to you, for you to misunderstand. I
    > like and succeed in being badly misunderstood.


    So we agree.
     
    Travis Newbury, Apr 17, 2008
    #7
  8. Overnight

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Travis Newbury <> wrote:

    > On Apr 16, 6:12 pm, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:
    > > Frames were invented by Netscape about a hundred years ago; they used
    > > them for about six months, then dumped them. Klew?

    >
    > Oh sure.... You don't get yelled at by dorayme when you say the exact
    > same thing I did.
    >
    > The only difference is I said it with some flair...


    O come on Travis... I didn't do no yelling. I was whispering all hoarse
    like, whip held tightly and hidden behind my back...

    Plus, B is not saying what you are saying. He was giving a fact, you
    were speculating. And when Travis speculates, dorayme whispers things
    back.

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Apr 17, 2008
    #8
  9. On Apr 16, 9:10 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > Oh sure.... You don't get yelled at by dorayme when you say the exact
    > > same thing I did.
    > > The only difference is I said it with some flair...

    > O come on Travis... I didn't do no yelling. I was whispering all hoarse
    > like, whip held tightly and hidden behind my back...


    Hell, I actually think you were agreeing with me, just saying it
    nicer.
     
    Travis Newbury, Apr 17, 2008
    #9
  10. Overnight

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Travis Newbury <> wrote:

    > On Apr 16, 9:10 pm, dorayme <> wrote:
    > > > Oh sure.... You don't get yelled at by dorayme when you say the exact
    > > > same thing I did.
    > > > The only difference is I said it with some flair...

    > > O come on Travis... I didn't do no yelling. I was whispering all hoarse
    > > like, whip held tightly and hidden behind my back...

    >
    > Hell, I actually think you were agreeing with me, just saying it
    > nicer.


    Seriously, yes and no. I think it bad to completely stamp out all uses
    of frames, we have a moral duty to preserve the species and have it out
    in the world competing and living as best as it can. People here are
    hell bent on frameicide.

    Even those that would have endangered species in zoos have some
    heartfelt hopes of a return to the wild. The heartless regulars here
    would not even countenance a zoo for poor frames. That is what concerns
    me.

    Travis, I don't suppose you would be interested in joining my new
    organization, Framepeace? Please send $US10. And anyone else - Boji? -
    who wants to Save the Frame from extinction.

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Apr 17, 2008
    #10
  11. dorayme wrote:

    > .. People here are hell bent on frameicide.


    I committed frameicide two weeks after I started writing my first web
    site back in 1997. Such a mess! (Well, it *was* the very first version
    of FrontPlague...)

    I switched to a text editor at that time.

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista
     
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 17, 2008
    #11
  12. Overnight

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns9A82DB8B42245neredbojiasnano@85.214.90.236>,
    Neredbojias <me@http://www.neredbojias.com/_eml/fliam.php> wrote:

    > On 16 Apr 2008, dorayme <> wrote:
    >
    > >> Hell, I actually think you were agreeing with me, just saying it
    > >> nicer.

    > >
    > > Seriously, yes and no. I think it bad to completely stamp out all uses
    > > of frames, we have a moral duty to preserve the species and have it
    > > out in the world competing and living as best as it can. People here
    > > are hell bent on frameicide.
    > >
    > > Even those that would have endangered species in zoos have some
    > > heartfelt hopes of a return to the wild. The heartless regulars here
    > > would not even countenance a zoo for poor frames. That is what
    > > concerns me.
    > >
    > > Travis, I don't suppose you would be interested in joining my new
    > > organization, Framepeace? Please send $US10. And anyone else - Boji? -
    > > who wants to Save the Frame from extinction.

    >
    > Me - send money? Ha ha ha ha!! Yeah, right.
    >
    > Seriously, though, this is boring. I like it better when you are in
    > virtual dingbat mode. It may not be logical, but somehow it's just more
    > human. -Okay: "animal" then.


    Oh you mean when I found an organization called Framepeace to save html
    frames, this is not dingbat enough for you?

    (Just btw, there is no animal in me, I am thing. "it" is the correct
    pronoun to use unless it begins a sentence, in which case it is "It". I
    know how puzzled you get over case. And you might insist, wrongly, that
    I should have begun the last sentence with "It". Still bored? Still not
    dingbatty enough for you? Tell me the level you want. I aim to please.)

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Apr 17, 2008
    #12
  13. Overnight

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <480679e4$0$3358$>,
    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    > Overnight wrote:
    >
    > > I got an index page built with four frames : top, left, center and
    > > bottom.

    >
    > The obligatory posting:
    > http://www.html-faq.com/htmlframes/?framesareevil
    >
    > Frames were invented by Netscape about a hundred years ago; they used
    > them for about six months, then dumped them. Klew?
    >
    > I hate scrolling half-a-page. Use server-side includes instead, and
    > present one page.
    >
    > > THanks for help.

    >
    > You're very welcome.


    I would suggest that the OP ignore this "advice".
     
    Tim Streater, Apr 17, 2008
    #13
  14. Tim Streater wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> Overnight wrote:
    >>> I got an index page built with four frames : top, left, center and
    >>> bottom.

    >>
    >> The obligatory posting:
    >> http://www.html-faq.com/htmlframes/?framesareevil
    >>
    >> Frames were invented by Netscape about a hundred years ago; they
    >> used them for about six months, then dumped them. Klew?
    >>
    >> I hate scrolling half-a-page. Use server-side includes instead, and
    >> present one page.
    >>
    >>> THanks for help.

    >>
    >> You're very welcome.

    >
    > I would suggest that the OP ignore this "advice".


    Care to go into a detail or three? You think frames are a good idea?

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista
     
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 17, 2008
    #14
  15. Overnight

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <48079beb$0$7696$>,
    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    > Tim Streater wrote:
    >
    > > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    > >> Overnight wrote:
    > >>> I got an index page built with four frames : top, left, center and
    > >>> bottom.
    > >>
    > >> The obligatory posting:
    > >> http://www.html-faq.com/htmlframes/?framesareevil
    > >>
    > >> Frames were invented by Netscape about a hundred years ago; they
    > >> used them for about six months, then dumped them. Klew?
    > >>
    > >> I hate scrolling half-a-page. Use server-side includes instead, and
    > >> present one page.
    > >>
    > >>> THanks for help.
    > >>
    > >> You're very welcome.

    > >
    > > I would suggest that the OP ignore this "advice".

    >
    > Care to go into a detail or three? You think frames are a good idea?


    Horses for courses, Beau. If it works, use it. I got two or three apps
    that use frames and I ain't about to rewrite them just because you got
    ants in your pants.

    Several people on this NG need to be a bit (no, a *lot*) less precious
    about a number of topics and stop pretending that they are the font of
    all wisdom before which we should all bow and then sup the waters.

    Give the guy straightforward advice or keep your trap shut.
     
    Tim Streater, Apr 17, 2008
    #15
  16. Tim Streater wrote:
    > In article <48079beb$0$7696$>,
    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Tim Streater wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >>>> Overnight wrote:


    <snip>

    >>>>> THanks for help.
    >>>> You're very welcome.
    >>> I would suggest that the OP ignore this "advice".

    >> Care to go into a detail or three? You think frames are a good idea?

    >
    > Horses for courses, Beau. If it works, use it. I got two or three apps
    > that use frames and I ain't about to rewrite them just because you got
    > ants in your pants.


    Legacy is one think, but please do not advocate promoting a long
    obsolete methodology that was fraught with problems, and not replace
    with far better solutions. Lumberjack abandoned the ax when the chainsaw
    came around. One only has to do a quick search of this group to see the
    the problems frame|iframe cause. Certainly do not perpetuate the pain,
    no new frame sites...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
     
    Jonathan N. Little, Apr 17, 2008
    #16
  17. Tim Streater wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> Tim Streater wrote:
    >>> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >>>> Overnight wrote:
    >>>>> I got an index page built with four frames : top, left, center and
    >>>>> bottom.
    >>>>
    >>>> The obligatory posting:
    >>>> http://www.html-faq.com/htmlframes/?framesareevil
    >>>
    >>> I would suggest that the OP ignore this "advice".

    >>
    >> Care to go into a detail or three? You think frames are a good idea?

    >
    > Horses for courses, Beau. If it works, use it. I got two or three apps
    > that use frames and I ain't about to rewrite them just because you
    > got ants in your pants.


    Then it seems that you know how to properly construct a frames site,
    unlike Overnight. (who hasn't been back yet)

    > Several people on this NG need to be a bit (no, a *lot*) less
    > precious about a number of topics and stop pretending that they are
    > the font of all wisdom before which we should all bow and then sup
    > the waters.


    Precious? <g> You must be referencing the folks who suggest doing
    things the good way instead of the bad way. <shrug>

    > Give the guy straightforward advice or keep your trap shut.


    Everyone else seems to think the advice was straightforward.

    I didn't ask you to rewrite your sites.

    --
    -bts
    -trap is shut; keyboard is active; no ants in pants
     
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 18, 2008
    #17
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Bibby

    Thanks for Math Advice

    Bibby, May 21, 2005, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    339
    Oliver Wong
    Aug 15, 2005
  2. Powerslave2112

    From Frames to no frames?

    Powerslave2112, Jan 20, 2004, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    625
    brucie
    Jan 20, 2004
  3. Philip
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    999
    Karl Groves
    Jun 28, 2004
  4. shapper
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    313
    shapper
    Feb 15, 2007
  5. Harry Truax
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    85
    Harry Truax
    Feb 14, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page