Need cohercing a var into a method name

Phy Prabab

Hello,

I need a small bit of help, I am playing with Logger class and ran into a small problem I am not sure how to solve. Namely, I was interested in command line setting of the logging level, however, the passed argument is not accepted as a method name nor can I figure out how to get the arg "coherced" to a string prior to evaluation of the method call. Here is my code:

when "--debug"
if(DEBUG_LEVELS.include?(arg))
mylog.level = Logger::arg.to_s
^^^^^^^^^^^^
else
puts " "Debug level can be one of DEBUG, INFO, WARN, ERROR, or FATAL."
(hi-lited is the code segment in question)
I am using GetoptLong to do the cmd line processing. The error given by ruby is:
test.rb:136 undefined method `arg' for Logger:Class (NoMethodError)

TIA,
Phy

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Rob Biedenharn

[...]

Logger.const_get(arg)

-Rob

(e-mail address removed)

Rick DeNatale

Hello,

I need a small bit of help, I am playing with Logger class and ran into a small problem I am not sure how to solve. Namely, I was interested in command line setting of the logging level, however, the passed argument is not accepted as a method name nor can I figure out how to get the arg "coherced" to a string prior to evaluation of the method call. Here is my code:

when "--debug"
if(DEBUG_LEVELS.include?(arg))
mylog.level = Logger::arg.to_s
else
puts " "Debug level can be one of DEBUG, INFO, WARN, ERROR, or FATAL."

Logger#level actually takes an integer. Maybe something like this:

if Logger::Severity.const_defined?(arg)
mylog.level = Logger::Severity.const_get(arg)
else
puts "Debug level must be one of #{Logger.Severity.constants.join(',')."
end