Need control building advice please

andyjgw

Hi

I'm a bit new to the designing of custom web page controls and using
them in the properties designer window - need a little advice on a
concept here.

I have two properties in my control - one that is a server name, which
when entered will populate a drop-down list for the second property.

I know that to get a drop-down list I will either need my second
property to be an enum (in which case it will do it auto, but I can't
cast my enum at design-time, it's derived from results querying
property one), or use a custome TypeConverter.

I have the documentation on this and have read Shawn Burke's "make your
components really rad.." article, but my problem is I can't see how my
custom typeconverter class will pick up the value from property one as
I can't pass that value through in my property type definition:

<Bindable(True), _
TypeConverter(GetType(mytypeConverter)) << can't pass a param there?

I can code the lookup no problem, but it's how to get property one
value into the myTypeConverter class I'm having problems with.

I guess it's a simple thing, that I'm just missing the concept of.
After all, it's done in the designer when you pick a database and the
list of tables is populated for example. Just can't see what I'm
missing here...

Thanks in advance for any advice - any code snippets/pointers showing
how one property affects the values in another would be useful thanks
:)

AW

andyjgw

Hi

Is there nobody here who can give advice on this ? If there is a more
appropriate group for this posting, please advise. I already tried
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols but got no
response there either.

Anyone?

[...]

Kevin Spencer

Hi Andy,

There are several reasons why questions do not get answered. In your case, I
can tell you my own experience from reading it. I can't figure out what
you're asking. I'm not sure this is the reason that nobody else has
answered, but I would suspect that to be the case.

Perhaps you could explain your situation and your question in more detail,
or using different language and terminology. For example, I followed your
first 2 paragraphs just fine, but the third omits information that would
make it clear to me. The fourth paragraph builds on the third, and
introduces a reference to an article that I have never read, nor even heard
of the author. From there it continues along similar lines.

So, as you can see from this reply, there are people that are reading your
question. Care to take another stab at asking it?

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP