Need control building advice please

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by andyjgw@gmail.com, May 18, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi

    I'm a bit new to the designing of custom web page controls and using
    them in the properties designer window - need a little advice on a
    concept here.

    I have two properties in my control - one that is a server name, which
    when entered will populate a drop-down list for the second property.

    I know that to get a drop-down list I will either need my second
    property to be an enum (in which case it will do it auto, but I can't
    cast my enum at design-time, it's derived from results querying
    property one), or use a custome TypeConverter.

    I have the documentation on this and have read Shawn Burke's "make your
    components really rad.." article, but my problem is I can't see how my
    custom typeconverter class will pick up the value from property one as
    I can't pass that value through in my property type definition:

    <Bindable(True), _
    TypeConverter(GetType(mytypeConverter)) << can't pass a param there?

    I can code the lookup no problem, but it's how to get property one
    value into the myTypeConverter class I'm having problems with.

    I guess it's a simple thing, that I'm just missing the concept of.
    After all, it's done in the designer when you pick a database and the
    list of tables is populated for example. Just can't see what I'm
    missing here...

    Thanks in advance for any advice - any code snippets/pointers showing
    how one property affects the values in another would be useful thanks
    :)

    AW

    , May 18, 2005

    Hi

    Is there nobody here who can give advice on this ? If there is a more
    appropriate group for this posting, please advise. I already tried
    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrols but got no
    response there either.

    Anyone?

[...]

    , May 26, 2005

  3. Hi Andy,

    There are several reasons why questions do not get answered. In your case, I
    can tell you my own experience from reading it. I can't figure out what
    you're asking. I'm not sure this is the reason that nobody else has
    answered, but I would suspect that to be the case.

    Perhaps you could explain your situation and your question in more detail,
    or using different language and terminology. For example, I followed your
    first 2 paragraphs just fine, but the third omits information that would
    make it clear to me. The fourth paragraph builds on the third, and
    introduces a reference to an article that I have never read, nor even heard
    of the author. From there it continues along similar lines.

    So, as you can see from this reply, there are people that are reading your
    question. Care to take another stab at asking it?

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP