need help building webpages

dow

I'm looking for ideas or how to make webpages for members. I want a
member log in and view their profiles and check boxes stating that they
have completed listed instructions and waiting for the instructor's
approval when thy check thier boxes. Once the student checks some boxes
and the instructors approve, Then the student can access the next level
webpages.
I searched the web using "javascript databases" and I don't see
anything that I need. what keyword would I need to search. What would
this kind of webpage be called?

Dow

Hal Rosser

I'm looking for ideas or how to make webpages for members. I want a
member log in and view their profiles and check boxes stating that they
have completed listed instructions and waiting for the instructor's
approval when thy check thier boxes. Once the student checks some boxes
and the instructors approve, Then the student can access the next level
webpages.
I searched the web using "javascript databases" and I don't see
anything that I need. what keyword would I need to search. What would
this kind of webpage be called?

Dow

using databases infers that you should look into server-side programming
The technologies you can use is: ASP (Active Server Pages) or PHP or
Perl/CGI or JSP (and others).
If you're on windows machines, I would recommend PHP or ASP, because they
are the easiest.
Hope this helps

Dow

wow! I'm lost. All I have is Dreamweaver and only know how to add
buttons and passwords at this point. I think ASP and PHP will send me
to quitland if I try to learn it. Is it possible to do it by adding
buttons and simple passwords in dreamweaver?

Dow

Randy Webb

Dow said:
wow! I'm lost.

That's obvious. Read the group FAQ, thoroughly.
All I have is Dreamweaver

I'm sorry.
and only know how to add buttons and passwords at this point.

Then a complete webpage is beyond your abilities.
I think ASP and PHP will send me to quitland if I try to learn it.

Then you were in quit-land before you started.
Is it possible to do it by adding buttons and simple passwords in dreamweaver?

No.

Joakim Braun

Dow said:
wow! I'm lost. All I have is Dreamweaver and only know how to add
buttons and passwords at this point. I think ASP and PHP will send me
to quitland if I try to learn it. Is it possible to do it by adding
buttons and simple passwords in dreamweaver?

Dow

Not with standard Ecmascript, since you need to interface with some
server-side storage mechanism in order to keep track of whether your
students have checked that checkbox.

So you're stuck with having to learn more. But depending on your
requirements that could be a lot simpler than it appears to you now. To
begin with, it would be a good idea to read up on how forms are posted to
the server and how you access the data there (with ASP/PHP/...). Then think
about the storage mechanism. A text file might be all you need, mapping
student identities to "level codes". Reading/writing/parsing text files
wouldn't be hard in PHP. In the longer term a database solution like MySQL
would probably be easiest to maintain, though not easiest to learn.

Joakim Braun

Martin Bialasinski

Dow said:
wow! I'm lost.

If something is above your knowledge and you are not able or do not have time
to learn the required skills, the standard solution in any problem is:

hire someone who knows how to do it.

Hal Rosser

Dow said:
wow! I'm lost. All I have is Dreamweaver and only know how to add
buttons and passwords at this point. I think ASP and PHP will send me
to quitland if I try to learn it. Is it possible to do it by adding
buttons and simple passwords in dreamweaver?
I understand your position. I was there once myself, but I decided to go
ahead and learn ASP, JSP, Perl/CGI, and JSP.
The problem I find is :The more I learn - the more I learn that there's more
to learn.
If your priorities don't support learning the technologies, then use your
talents to make money doing what you do best, then use some of that money to
hire someone to do what needs to be done.
I hate to mow the lawn, so I hire someone to do it while I pound out code.

Dow

After reading all the replies here does give me a better ideas whats
involved- thanks programmers

Dow