Need help for a Java Application

Dips

Hi,

I am looking for a web page monitoring web application.An application
where a user is able to register himself with his name, email id and
stuff. Once he has registered and logged on to the application he
should be able to specify the web pages which he want's to monitor.

Once he has specified the web pages, he should receive emails
automatically whenever there is any update to the web page on the
email id he has specified while registration, with the details of
what
has changed in the site that he has registered.

While I am pretty sure of the register and login functionality. I
have
absolutely no clue as to implement the things that I have mentioned
in
second paragraph, though I am thinking it to implement in J2EE.
If anybody could provide with any clue, hint, logic, source code as
how should I proceed with it, it would be nice.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Dipesh

Roedy Green

[...]

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/montastic.html

It does just that. That will give you an idea of the UI needed.

to solve this you need to write some Servlets.

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/servlet.html

You will need a Servlet Womb to host your Servlets.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/servletwomb.html

You will need to store information in an SQL database.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/sql.html
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jdbc.html

You will need to probe websites to see if they are up, much the way
Vercheck does to see if new versions are available.

See http://mindprod.com/products1.html#VERCHECK

This is a quite simple task, but you need to learn a lot of other code
to do it.

You don't need J2EE. That doubles the complexity.

You sound rather new, so I suggest taking on something easier, then
return to this when you have more experience under your belt. See
http://mindprod.com/project/projects.html

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

We are almost certainly going to miss our [global warming] deadline.
We cannot get the 10 lost years back, and by the time a new global agreement to
replace the Kyoto accord is negotiated and put into effect, there will probably
not be enough time left to stop the warming short of the point where we must not
go. ~ Gwynne Dyer