Need help pls.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Brandon, Oct 25, 2005.

  1. Brandon

    Brandon Guest

    I have a problem that is close to causing bruises on my forehead from beating
    it against the desk. I believe ultimately it is going to end up being
    security permissions related, so please bear with my somewhat longwinded
    desciption.

    We have purchased a third party dll which prints documents (these are bank
    documents which must be in a particular format). I simply generate a file
    with my application (which is linked to the third party dll) and call a
    method in the dll to print the data within that file. Simple enough.

    I wrote this on a Windows XP machine. I wrote a windows client app and a web
    service which perform the same function. Both work great. I installed the
    third party software and my client and service on a Windows 2000 Server (prep
    for deployment to client). The windows client app works, the web service does
    not.

    I wrote everything in VS.NET 2003 and we are running .NET Framework 1.1. The
    dll produces a log file which says that it can't find the printing component.
    The only evidence I have that this might be a security issue is that inside
    the log there is also an 'Application Directory' listed. For the client app
    it's C:\DocsAndSettings\Administrator. For the web service it's
    C:\Winnt\System32.

    I've tried changing permissions for my IUSR and IWAM users, as well as
    ASPNET user. I've changed the web service's anonymous access to run under
    Administrator login. I've even gone into the machine.config and set aspnet_wp
    to run under SYSTEM, but nothing is working. (I realize that some of these
    are security issues, but I'm just trying to isolate the problem for the
    moment).

    Why does it work on XP but not on 2000 (or 2003 ... tried it too). My nerves
    are frazzled and I'm making no progress. Please, for the love of god, help.
    Thanks,
    Brandon

    Brandon, Oct 25, 2005