Need help pls.

Brandon

I have a problem that is close to causing bruises on my forehead from beating
it against the desk. I believe ultimately it is going to end up being
security permissions related, so please bear with my somewhat longwinded
desciption.

We have purchased a third party dll which prints documents (these are bank
documents which must be in a particular format). I simply generate a file
with my application (which is linked to the third party dll) and call a
method in the dll to print the data within that file. Simple enough.

I wrote this on a Windows XP machine. I wrote a windows client app and a web
service which perform the same function. Both work great. I installed the
third party software and my client and service on a Windows 2000 Server (prep
for deployment to client). The windows client app works, the web service does
not.

I wrote everything in VS.NET 2003 and we are running .NET Framework 1.1. The
dll produces a log file which says that it can't find the printing component.
The only evidence I have that this might be a security issue is that inside
the log there is also an 'Application Directory' listed. For the client app
it's C:\DocsAndSettings\Administrator. For the web service it's
C:\Winnt\System32.

I've tried changing permissions for my IUSR and IWAM users, as well as
ASPNET user. I've changed the web service's anonymous access to run under
Administrator login. I've even gone into the machine.config and set aspnet_wp
to run under SYSTEM, but nothing is working. (I realize that some of these
are security issues, but I'm just trying to isolate the problem for the
moment).

Why does it work on XP but not on 2000 (or 2003 ... tried it too). My nerves
are frazzled and I'm making no progress. Please, for the love of god, help.
Thanks,
Brandon