    of my current setup and help me get it right.

    Thanks for your time
    Larry

    Larry Webb, Jul 14, 2004

  2. "Larry Webb" <> wrote in message
    news:8NcJc.64422$...
    > I have to setup my first MX record for one of my reseller accounts that
    > has their own email server. I've got it working but I know it's wrong
    > because I'm using the email server's IP address instead of the FQDN host
    > name.
    >
    > I'm hoping someone using Web Host Manager can look at a screen capture
    > of my current setup and help me get it right.

    You need to use their mail server (example: mx2.theirdomain.com) in order
    for it to work. You can set that up in their Cpanel control panel.

    --Tina
    --
    FREE: Web hosting accounts
    HOSTING: Cpanel, Multi-domains, Resellers

    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., Jul 14, 2004

  3. Larry Webb

    Larry Webb Guest

    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. wrote:

    > "Larry Webb" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have to setup my first MX record for one of my reseller accounts that
    >>has their own email server. I've got it working but I know it's wrong
    >>because I'm using the email server's IP address instead of the FQDN host
    >>name.
    >>
    >>I'm hoping someone using Web Host Manager can look at a screen capture
    >>of my current setup and help me get it right.

    > You need to use their mail server (example: mx2.theirdomain.com) in order
    > for it to work. You can set that up in their Cpanel control panel.
    >
    > --Tina

    Tina:

    The problem is their mail server is identified by an IP address -
    64.179.109.151. The way I understand it, in my DNS Zone, I should have
    the IP address point to a machine name (mail.gardall.com ?) and then
    have the MX record pont to mail.gardall.com

    I'm just not sure what goes where.

    Thanks
    Larry

    Larry Webb, Jul 14, 2004
  4. Larry Webb

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Larry Webb wrote:

    > I have to setup my first MX record for one of my reseller accounts that
    > has their own email server. I've got it working but I know it's wrong
    > because I'm using the email server's IP address instead of the FQDN host
    > name.

    Oh. That's not good. A company with whom the charity for which I work has
    a commercial relationship has made this mistake recently and they've been
    bouncing a lot of mail!

    You need something like this:

    mail.example.net A 123.45.67.89
    example.net MX 10 mail.example.net

    HTH

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Now Playing ~ ./beatles/blue_cd1/01_strawberry_fields_forever.ogg

    Toby Inkster, Jul 14, 2004
  5. Larry Webb

    Larry Webb Guest

    Toby Inkster wrote:

    > Larry Webb wrote:
    >

    >>I have to setup my first MX record for one of my reseller accounts that
    >>has their own email server. I've got it working but I know it's wrong
    >>because I'm using the email server's IP address instead of the FQDN host
    >>name.

    > Oh. That's not good. A company with whom the charity for which I work has
    > a commercial relationship has made this mistake recently and they've been
    > bouncing a lot of mail!
    >
    > You need something like this:
    >
    > mail.example.net A 123.45.67.89
    > example.net MX 10 mail.example.net
    >
    > HTH

    Thanks HTH,

    You've confirmed what I found looking into this. I've made the changes
    and the DNS report now shows things are now OK. I wonder if it takes
    some time for this to resolve.

    Larry

    Larry Webb, Jul 14, 2004
  6. Larry Webb

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Larry Webb wrote:

    > Thanks HTH,

    HTH isn't my name. HTH = "Hope that helps".

    > I wonder if it takes some time for this to resolve.

    Yep -- I believe it theoretically depends on the TTL value associated with
    your DNS entries (usually set at 1 day), but in practice it usually takes
    a couple of days for the rest of the world to catch up with you.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Jul 14, 2004
  7. Larry Webb

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Jul 14, 2004
  8. Larry Webb

    Hywel Guest

    In article <1wz3ie4qwxr8f.7r4bh3rtk1z0$>, Mark Parnell
    says...
    > On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:56:18 GMT, Larry Webb
    > <> declared in alt.html:
    >
    > > Thanks HTH,

    > His name is Toby. :)

    Only during the day time. At night he's "Tobias - Slayer of Cuddly,
    Furry Creatures". He's mighty scary, too.

    --
    Hywel

    http://sponsorhywel.org.uk/

    Hywel, Jul 15, 2004
  9. Larry Webb

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Hywel wrote:

    > Only during the day time. At night he's "Tobias - Slayer of Cuddly,
    > Furry Creatures". He's mighty scary, too.

    <gnash> Rarrr!!!! <squeak>

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Jul 16, 2004