Need help setting up clients MX record

Larry Webb

I have to setup my first MX record for one of my reseller accounts that
has their own email server. I've got it working but I know it's wrong
because I'm using the email server's IP address instead of the FQDN host
name.

I'm hoping someone using Web Host Manager can look at a screen capture
of my current setup and help me get it right.

Thanks for your time
Larry

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

Larry Webb said:
I have to setup my first MX record for one of my reseller accounts that
has their own email server. I've got it working but I know it's wrong
because I'm using the email server's IP address instead of the FQDN host
name.

I'm hoping someone using Web Host Manager can look at a screen capture
of my current setup and help me get it right.

You need to use their mail server (example: mx2.theirdomain.com) in order
for it to work. You can set that up in their Cpanel control panel.

--Tina

Larry Webb

Tina said:
You need to use their mail server (example: mx2.theirdomain.com) in order
for it to work. You can set that up in their Cpanel control panel.

--Tina

Tina:

The problem is their mail server is identified by an IP address -
64.179.109.151. The way I understand it, in my DNS Zone, I should have
the IP address point to a machine name (mail.gardall.com ?) and then
have the MX record pont to mail.gardall.com

I'm just not sure what goes where.

Thanks
Larry

Toby Inkster

Larry said:
I have to setup my first MX record for one of my reseller accounts that
has their own email server. I've got it working but I know it's wrong
because I'm using the email server's IP address instead of the FQDN host
name.

Oh. That's not good. A company with whom the charity for which I work has
a commercial relationship has made this mistake recently and they've been
bouncing a lot of mail!

You need something like this:

mail.example.net A 123.45.67.89
example.net MX 10 mail.example.net

HTH

Larry Webb

Toby said:
Larry Webb wrote:

Oh. That's not good. A company with whom the charity for which I work has
a commercial relationship has made this mistake recently and they've been
bouncing a lot of mail!

You need something like this:

mail.example.net A 123.45.67.89
example.net MX 10 mail.example.net

HTH
Thanks HTH,

You've confirmed what I found looking into this. I've made the changes
and the DNS report now shows things are now OK. I wonder if it takes
some time for this to resolve.

Larry

Toby Inkster

Larry said:
Thanks HTH,

HTH isn't my name. HTH = "Hope that helps".
I wonder if it takes some time for this to resolve.

Yep -- I believe it theoretically depends on the TTL value associated with
your DNS entries (usually set at 1 day), but in practice it usually takes
a couple of days for the rest of the world to catch up with you.