    game than using threads and sockets? I am somewhat new to ruby, I
    wouldn't consider myself an average ability ruby coder yet. How should
    I go about this?

    Raj Sahae, Feb 20, 2007

  2. Raj Sahae

    Tim Pease Guest

    On 2/20/07, Raj Sahae <> wrote:
    > I'm trying to make an application with the following properties:
    > It uses FXRuby
    > It's a multiplayer turn based card game
    > Played over a network, or the internet
    > Players may play cards during other players turns
    > Players may manipulate their own components at any time
    > Players can make requests for info on any other players components at
    > any time
    >
    > I originally planned to use threading, but I didn't know that Ruby
    > blocked IO in threads. Is there a better way to implement this type of
    > game than using threads and sockets? I am somewhat new to ruby, I
    > wouldn't consider myself an average ability ruby coder yet. How should
    > I go about this?

    Two things to look into would be DRb and Rinda. Eric Hodel has a nice
    writeup about both on his segment7 blog.

    http://segment7.net/projects/ruby/drb/index.html

    DRb stands for Distributed Ruby and Rinda is the Ruby implementation
    of a TupleSpace. The TupleSpace would be used to hold all the
    information about the current game state, and DRb would be used by the
    clients to communicate with one another.

    Have fun with the project.

    Blessings,
    TwP

    Tim Pease, Feb 20, 2007

  3. Raj Sahae

    Raj Sahae Guest

    Thanks for the info. I probably should have read a little more through
    the library, I could have found those things myself. Just in case
    anyone else is interested, I did find a little more detailed intro to
    DRb at http://chadfowler.com/ruby/drb.html

    Raj

    Raj Sahae, Feb 21, 2007