Need recommendations for code modularization

Emmanuel Delahaye

Chuck F. a écrit :
C++ is another language, found down the hall to the right.

Please get some info before riding your big horse... This software works
with K&R C, ISO C and C++...

ozbear

RJH's point was that in UK English, the word for that is "housetrain"
whereas housebreaking is burglary.
Mark McIntyre
--

So what? We don't speak strict U.K. English in here (even if there
were such a thing). The reason why we use English in here at all

Oz

Richard Heathfield

ozbear said:
So what? We don't speak strict U.K. English in here (even if there
were such a thing).

I wuz only arrrsking, yeronner - I didn't realise I'd be starting a Spanish
Inquisition.

Keith Thompson

Nick Keighley said:
I just use Reply/Post ***before typing anything***, google then states
that the body of my message must contain some text and handily
puts the correctly quoted text of the message being replied to. Just
two key strokes. Does this not work for some people?

I just tried it, and it seems to work. No, I didn't know about it
before (but then I don't post through Google).

But there is a bit of a risk. If you type just a single character,
say, by accidentally hitting the spacebar, it will go ahead and post
your nearly empty article. (I think I just did this; my apologies for
the extraneous test message.)

Chris F.A. Johnson

So what? We don't speak strict U.K. English in here (even if there
were such a thing). The reason why we use English in here at all
(although other languages are not "forbidden" they just limit one's
chances of getting a useful reply) is that the majority of people
in here speak English. And I would hazard a guess that the majority
of English speakers in here are from the U.S. where the term
"housebreak" is understood to be what the OP meant.

In the U.S. dictinoaries on my shelf (M-W 10th Collegiate, and F&W
Standard Collegiate), housebreaking is defined as burglary,
housebreak and housebroken are what is known in the UK as
house-train[ed].

Keith Thompson

Not that the Google-bashing trolls will care. (And I do not include
Keith Thompson and Chris F. A. Johnson here since they are
genuinely concerned about the issue.)

Oh, please don't exclude me. Chuck, Chris, and I are *all* genuinely
concerned about the issue, and we're all "Google-bashers". I don't
believe any of us are trolls, but if any of us are, we all are.

If Google fixes their broken interface (which they should have done
before they released it to the public), I'll stop doing this, and I'm
sure the others will as well.

Keith Thompson

Emmanuel Delahaye said:
Chuck F. a écrit :

Please get some info before riding your big horse... This software
works with K&R C, ISO C and C++...

Given the name "Understand for C++", it was perfectly reasonable to
assume that it was specific to C++. If it covers both C++ and C, the
either way, but I don't see a "big horse" anywhere.

mensanator

Keith said:
Oh, please don't exclude me. Chuck, Chris, and I are *all* genuinely
concerned about the issue,

To be "genuinely" concerned, you would promote a better solution
when it is pointed out to you. Not all of you do that.
and we're all "Google-bashers".

Trolling is slightly different from legitimate criticism.
I don't believe any of us are trolls,

Somebody changed the subject to "Housebreaking Googlers".
but if any of us are, we all are.

Suit yorself.

Jordan Abel

Actually, Merriam-Webster is the only "true" Webster's dictionary,
in that it is descended from the original Webster. Many others use
the name, Webster.

That doesn't mean that what it's become is a reputable source.

Richard Bos

Jordan Abel said:
That doesn't mean that what it's become is a reputable source.

IMO it means that the original is suspect, because intentionally
revisionist.

Richard

Mark McIntyre

So the post containing "housebreaking" was open to bizarre
misunderstanding.
We don't speak strict U.K. English in here

True, but generally we try to avoid weird misunderstandings due to odd
linguistic changes. If someone wrote "dove" I'd be searching for the
white bird for instance.
And I would hazard a guess that the majority
of English speakers in here are from the U.S. where the term
"housebreak" is understood to be what the OP meant.

So drecking what? You left your worst argument to last.
Mark McIntyre

Dik T. Winter

> Hmmm, I am either misremembering then, or maybe only when you
> search the archive you get this behavior? I distinctly remember
> sigs being missing somewhere in the google interface.

I do not know. Sometime ago I tried to track the history of my sig
and I had no problem with that.

ozbear

So the post containing "housebreaking" was open to bizarre
misunderstanding.

True, but generally we try to avoid weird misunderstandings due to odd
linguistic changes. If someone wrote "dove" I'd be searching for the
white bird for instance.
<snip>
But context is everything. If someone used "dove" I might search for
a white bird, or the past tense of "dive". I seriously doubt that
when someone in here says "plonk" you or RJH think you are being
offered some cheap wine.

Be serious. Interpreting "housebreak" as anything other than
(toilet) training is rediculous.

Feel free to tilt on.

Oz

Mark McIntyre

But context is everything. If someone used "dove" I might search for
a white bird, or the past tense of "dive".

You might, but someone speaking UK English might simply be baffled.
Be serious. Interpreting "housebreak" as anything other than
(toilet) training is rediculous.

Its not. It really really isn't and its sad that you can't see this.

Anyone for some faggots while we discuss further?
Mark McIntyre

Flash Gordon

Mark said:
You might, but someone speaking UK English might simply be baffled.

Its not. It really really isn't and its sad that you can't see this.

Anyone for some faggots while we discuss further?

No thanks, whenever I've looked at them I've always thought erk!

However, it's now time to head up the wooden hill to Bedfordshire.

Michael Wojcik

Be serious. Interpreting "housebreak" as anything other than
(toilet) training is rediculous.

And what, after all, could be more convincing than an argument over
a question of usage that depends on an exhortation and an appeal to
emotion, and is misspelled besides?

ozbear 0, regional variations 1.