Need some advice about file extension of the include file

Guest

Hi,

I haven’t mastered the asp.net yet to be able to use asp.net 2.0 master
pages. So I am planning to create pages with .aspx extension and once I am
confident, I will rewrite them using master pages. The purpose of this
exercise is that I will be able to keep the filenames same.

All of these pages have a horizontal navigation menu. For the time being, I
am separating the simple html code of this horizontal menu into a separate
include file say topnav.txt. I read that include files should not be in
files that are not compiled ie. .txt as someone can simply enter in the path
in the browser and view your file!

Can someone suggest me what file extension (.txt, .aspx, .inc, etc) should I
give to this include file?

Joe

Karl Seguin

Include files shouldn't be in plain .txt if they contain sensitive
information...

Having said that, in ASP.Net there's a better alternative to <#!--INCLUDING
a file, use user controls. Unlike include files which aren't processed as
part of the ASP/ASP.Net processing cycle, user controls are part of the
ASP.Net cycle, meaning you can interact with them as richly as you would any
other object.

Check out
http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/quickstart/aspplus/doc/webpagelets.aspx for
more details.