Need to talk to a telnet server and send a telnet break

Jim Isaacson

Hi

I'm looking for some help or a sample of a socket call to talk to a telnet
server and send a telnet break from a C program. I've looked at the Stevens
book and tried examples of his daytime code but can't seem to get the text
from the server to display, much less send a telnet break.

Any help is appreciated.

Jim

Mark A. Odell

I'm looking for some help or a sample of a socket call to talk to a
telnet server and send a telnet break from a C program. I've looked at
the Stevens book and tried examples of his daytime code but can't seem
to get the text from the server to display, much less send a telnet
break.

Any help is appreciated.

Since ISO C does not include networking, we can't help you here. I am
sure, however, that there are newsgroups with 'tcpip' in their names. That
might be a better place to ask.

SM Ryan

# Hi
#
# I'm looking for some help or a sample of a socket call to talk to a telnet
# server and send a telnet break from a C program. I've looked at the Stevens
# book and tried examples of his daytime code but can't seem to get the text
# from the server to display, much less send a telnet break.

If your real interest is in talking to telnet and not learning socket programming
in C, then don't use C. You do a telnet client in just a few lines with Perl or
Tcl or Expect for easier and faster than doing it in C.

Jim Isaacson

I guess I should have stated I need to add this functionality to an existing
C program.

Thanks anyway, I check out the tcpip groups.

Default User

Jim said:
I guess I should have stated I need to add this functionality to an
existing C program.

1. Please don't top-post. Your reply belongs following properly trimmed
quoted material.

2. There is no way to accomplish what you want in ISO standard C, the
topic of this newsgroup. It doesn't matter that you have a C program
you want to add to.

You need to find a newsgroup that deals with your particular platform.
You mention the Stevens book, so likely comp.unix.programmer is a good
choice.

Brian