need true WYSIWYG editor

kchayka

Jim said:
You can try CoolPage which is available at www.3dize.com .

Please, no. If their home page is any indication of the stuff it
produces, then it should be avoided like the plague. If you're not sure
why, then try looking at the page in mozilla at 150% zoom. It's
positively ghastly. The source code is pretty ghastly, too.

Ramon Leon

Steve said:
I am looking for a "truly" WYSIWYG webpage builder. My first experience
with constructing pages was using geocities "pagebuilder", and I believe I
have been somewhat spoiled by it. Being able to move text and graphic
elements around a page as objects is a terrific feature that I cannot find
anywhere else to date. Is there an editor that can do this, preferably free
or cheap?

Thanks,
Steve

Try these:
DHE Html editor (freeware) from http://www.hexagora.com.
It uses absolutely positioned elements. It is still being developed,
it only provides basic functions, but is very easy to use and it
works.

The same method to position elements is used by Dwarf and Web Spinner
from http://www.virtualmechanics.com. The former was free but it
apparently has been removed. Maybe you can get it somewhere. Web
Spinner is somewhat more advanced (it even has a table editor)and is
rather cheap.

Absolutely positioned elements generally are handled well by recent
browsers and you can easily edit the code (it is css positioned!, no
nested tables). However these editors use a special file format and
you generate the html at the last step of your work. You can not edit
html files directly, so that you have to keep the original file. Also,
no liquid design. That you can achieve only by hand coding.

Ramon Leon

John C

I recomend Mozilla Composer. It has now absolute positioning which is -
unless I'm mistaken - a first in all WYSIWYG html editors. You will
achieve valid and compliant markup also, maybe - not sure - much easier
than with other softwares.

I haven't tried Amaya in a long while. Has it come along to the point
where it might qualify as a decent WYSIWYG tool?

Dan

I am looking for a "truly" WYSIWYG webpage builder. My first
experience

These editors are evil. There are truly talented people out there who really
know how to create a quality web site (which isn't easy), but the masses now
think they can just get an editor and make their own web site.

Trust me, what ever you do with an editor, it will turn out like crap.

If you want a professional looking and functioning web site, you have 2

1. Hire a professional (real professional aren't cheap..)

2. Spend the next 2-3 years of your life learning to write good code and to
design quick and fast loading web sites.

Whitecrest

These editors are evil. There are truly talented people out there who really
know how to create a quality web site (which isn't easy), but the masses now
think they can just get an editor and make their own web site.

Trust me, what ever you do with an editor, it will turn out like crap.

Were you abused by an editor when you were younger?