    can go to get educated on the tools currently available?

    Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave Theese, Aug 29, 2003

  2. Dave Theese

    Greg P. Guest

    Greg P., Aug 29, 2003

  3. On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 12:20:07 -0700, "Dave Theese" <> wrote:

    >Can anybody recommend a newsgroup for me to check out that discusses tools
    >used for static checking of C++ code? Basically, I'm talking about tools
    >that do things such as the following:
    >
    >Check for unused variables
    >Check for dead code
    >Check for common language mistakes such as if (a = b)
    >etc...
    >
    >I'm sure you get the idea (Lint kind of stuff). Any suggestions on where I
    >can go to get educated on the tools currently available?

    C++ code is very difficult to parse, because it's very ambigious
    at the syntactic level.

    Therefore any tool that analyzes C++ code has to do essentially all
    that a compiler does, except code generation.

    Why don't you simply use a decent C++ compiler?

    What do you want that's different from what a C++ compiler does?

    C++ is not C.
    Alf P. Steinbach, Aug 29, 2003
  4. "Dave Theese" <> wrote in message
    > Hello all,
    >
    > Can anybody recommend a newsgroup for me to check out that discusses tools
    > used for static checking of C++ code? Basically, I'm talking about tools
    > that do things such as the following:
    >
    > Check for unused variables
    > Check for dead code
    > Check for common language mistakes such as if (a = b)
    > etc...
    >
    > I'm sure you get the idea (Lint kind of stuff). Any suggestions on where

    > can go to get educated on the tools currently available?

    Recently there has been a discussion going on this subject in
    comp.lang.c++.moderated in the thread "Code analyzer".

    HTH

    --
    Peter van Merkerk
    peter.van.merkerk(at)dse.nl
    Peter van Merkerk, Aug 30, 2003
  5. Dave Theese

    Greg P. Guest

    Oops sorry, I seem to have missed that this is c.l.c++ not c.lc, please
    ignore the splint reference.

    Greg P., Aug 30, 2003