Nested Grids for Hierarchical Data

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Datagrid Control' started by Yasir Hussain, Oct 7, 2003.

  1. Hope someone can shed some light on the follow issue.
    With regards to the excellent article by Dino Esposito on Nested
    DataGrids,
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/03/10/CuttingEdge/default.aspx
    ,
    I tried to take that example and build on it and take it a little
    further.

    For those you havnt read the article yet, a summary:
    Outer Datagrid with a custom column that expands/Coppalses a DataRow
    that contains an inner DataGrid (basically a Master/Details View).
    DataRow is deleted of its current contents when expand is clicked,
    then new datable is made to host the preview row information as a
    header and then a new DataGrid is created and databound with a
    DataRelation.

    Now the inner grid events work fine interms of Paging. The problem
    arrises when you try to edit the inner Datagrid. Im quite sure this
    happens because when you click edit on the EditColumn, the datagrid
    then creates the new column with the Cancel and Update Controls (ie
    dynamically). This, for lack of a better term, messes up the whole
    control tree for the page and events dont sync with the right
    controls. THe main issue i have is when i click on edit, on postback,
    the datagrid enters edit mode, but the editcolumn for the inner
    datagrid does not get rendered anymore. Doing just a Trace inside the
    inner datagrid edit event handler doesnt cause any problems, its just
    when you acutally set the Edit item index that things go crazy. I have
    tried to create a custom inner datagrid and wrote my own events and
    delegates and tried to bubble events to the next control and all the
    way to the main page , but nothing seems to work.

    I know this all sounds rather confusing, but any help would be
    appreciated.
    If someone really wants to go through the code, ill paste it next
    post.

    Thanx in advance all.

    Yasir

    Yasir Hussain, Oct 7, 2003