Nesting object tags in ASP 3.0, ASP.NET & Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by DeadlyTedly, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. DeadlyTedly

    DeadlyTedly Guest

    Hi,

    I'm attempting to make use of nested object tags (in HTML) as per the
    w3c standard here:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/objects.html#h-13.3.1

    This details the HTML 4.01 Specification with regard to object tags.
    When I create a nested object in an ASP page, I get the following server
    error:

    Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0139'

    Nested Object

    /WebProject2/test.asp, line 5

    An object tag cannot be placed inside another object tag.

    If I create it in an html file, the outer object tag is rendered, as are
    all of the child object tags too.

    So...

    ASP seems to totally disallow nested object tags.
    Internet Explorer renders all of them regardless.
    The w3c spec seems to say that each object tag will be rendered in turn
    and once one is found which works, no more child object tags will be
    rendered.

    Guidence on whether or not this has been raised as an issue, or if it
    even is would be greatly appreciated. This is hindering conversion of a
    website at work to WAI compliance.

    Thanks,

    Ted Bradley
    DeadlyTedly, Oct 15, 2003

  2. DeadlyTedly

    Natty Gur Guest

    Hi,

    asp.xsd is the schema that ASP.NET use to vlidate HTML. check if that
    schema enable nesting tags (you can always update the schema)

    Natty Gur[MVP]
    Phone Numbers:
    Office: +972-(0)9-7740261
    Fax: +972-(0)9-7740261
    Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

    Natty Gur, Oct 15, 2003

  3. DeadlyTedly

    Ted Bradley Guest

    Hi,

    Just checked through the asp.xsd in the Microsoft Visual Studio .NET and
    can't find a reference to object.

    (D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
    2003\Common7\Packages\schemas\xml\asp.xsd)

    Also worth noting that when I target the page for Internet Explorer 5.0,
    Visual Studio does not complain, it's only IIS which produces the error.

    Thanks,

    Ted

    Ted Bradley, Oct 16, 2003