.NET 2.0 Newbie! SqlDataSource subqueries?

TD224

Real new to the .NET 2.0 framework but I'm enjoying everything very much so
far. Most of my experience is in Coldfusion.

I have a SqlDataSource object that selects all of a recordset. What is the
best way to work with a subset of that data? For instace, I want to know
how many records in the set have a contract ID, and how many are null.

Of course I can make a new SqlDataSource object with a new select statement
to narrow it down but that doesn't seem very efficient creating a whole new
query. If I have the whole data set already, seems to me I should be able
to do a sub query on that SqlDataSource (in cfml this is called query of
queries).

Any tips?