Net::FTP vs ProFTPD 1.2.9

Danial Pearce

Hi,

I am having some issues using 1.8.5 and 1.8.6 ruby's built in Net::FTP
and the specific 1.2.9 version of ProFTPD. I have tested ProFTPD 1.3.1
and it works fine, as does all other FTP servers I have tested.

The code is pretty simple.

require 'net/ftp'
f = Net::FTP.new
f.connect 'ftp.my_ftp.com', 21
f.login 'xxx', 'xxx'
f.debug_mode = true
f.passive = true
f.list
f.close

Everything works fine, but the list() command takes anywhere from 10-20
seconds. Yet logging in from the command line version of ftp and doing
an "ls" is instant. I have tried both passive and active mode for both
the command line ftp and the Net::FTP connection above, both modes are
instant on command line and 10-20 seconds via ruby.

Unfortunately for me, the software I am writing I am hoping can work on
all FTP servers, the solution of upgrade ProFTPD from 1.2.9 to something
greater is one I would rather avoid, and given the ftp connection via
anything other than ruby's Net::FTP works fine, I am wondering what it
could be in the ruby code? I have browsed through the net/ftp.rb code
and nothing jumps out, it all seems pretty straight forward.

When I turn debug on:

put: TYPE A
get: 200 Type set to A

But then there is a 10-20 second gap between the next comand being put.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Danial Pearce

Danial said:
I am having some issues using 1.8.5 and 1.8.6 ruby's built in Net::FTP
and the specific 1.2.9 version of ProFTPD. I have tested ProFTPD 1.3.1
and it works fine, as does all other FTP servers I have tested.

The problem is also existent on 1.3.0 of ProFTP also.

I'm not necissarily after a solution, but anything that I can try would
be helpful :)

regards,
Danial