net::smtp

Discussion in 'Perl' started by RandRace, Jul 27, 2004.

  1. RandRace

    RandRace Guest

    I'm having some problems with a little script i wrote using net::smtp.
    I originally wrote it in linux where it works perfectly. I tried to
    use it from windows the other day and it doesn't work. It connects to
    the server and prints the banner but will not send mail.
    Here is my script:

    use Net::SMTP;

    my $smtp = Net::SMTP->new('smtp.comcast.net') or die "Can't Open
    server"!";
    print $smtp->banner, "\n";

    $smtp->mail('');
    $smtp->to('');

    $smtp->data();
    $smtp->datasend("To: \n");
    $smtp->datasend("From: somedude\n");
    $smtp->datasend("Subject: dude\n");
    $smtp->datasend("Reply-To: \n");
    $smtp->datasend("\n");
    $smtp->datasend("test test");
    $smtp->dataend();

    $smtp->quit;

    thanks :)

    RandRace, Jul 27, 2004

  2. On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 22:07:21 GMT, RandRace <>
    wrote:

    >I'm having some problems with a little script i wrote using net::smtp.
    >I originally wrote it in linux where it works perfectly. I tried to
    >use it from windows the other day and it doesn't work. It connects to
    >the server and prints the banner but will not send mail.
    >Here is my script:
    >
    >use Net::SMTP;
    >
    >my $smtp = Net::SMTP->new('smtp.comcast.net') or die "Can't Open
    >server"!";
    >print $smtp->banner, "\n";
    >
    >$smtp->mail('');
    >$smtp->to('');
    >
    >$smtp->data();
    >$smtp->datasend("To: \n");
    >$smtp->datasend("From: somedude\n");
    >$smtp->datasend("Subject: dude\n");
    >$smtp->datasend("Reply-To: \n");
    >$smtp->datasend("\n");
    >$smtp->datasend("test test");
    >$smtp->dataend();
    >
    >$smtp->quit;
    >
    >thanks :)

    To follow up, i put "or die" after every line and the program seems to
    be failing at the dataend portion. Ive been messing around with it all
    day and cant seem to figure out what the problem is. Any help is
    appreciated. :)

    henry farbles, Jul 28, 2004

  3. RandRace

    Guest

    RandRace <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > I'm having some problems with a little script i wrote using net::smtp.

    Have you considered putting Net::SMTP into debug mode so you can see
    what it's doing? If you didn't know you could do that then perhaps
    you are forgetting that when reading the documentation of a subclass
    it is also necessary to consult the documentation of the parent
    classes to find out its full set of features.

    here.

    , Jul 29, 2004