New article about breaking Checked Exceptions in Java.

Daniele Futtorovic

Hey everyone. It's been a while since I updated my blog, so I thought
I'd let you know that I finally got around to it.

<http://virtualinfinity.net/wordpress/>

My latest entry is on two (evil) ways to circumvent compile-time
checking for Exceptions.

Is this really purely esoteric, or -- I'm wondering, what's the point?

I recall you folks had a discussion about this a while ago (which I
suppose had something to do with you writing that blog entry), where you
were acting kind of horrified as to this possibility ("'circumventing'
checked exceptions"). I remember being a bit puzzled by that reaction
back then already.

I fail to see why I should care about it. Firstly, given what humongous
load of other crap programmers can do (wrong), and secondly given that
there is quite an easy way to "circumvent" checked exceptions: use
different Throwables.

Please advise if I'm missing something crucial.

Daniel Pitts

Daniele said:
Is this really purely esoteric, or -- I'm wondering, what's the point?

I recall you folks had a discussion about this a while ago (which I
suppose had something to do with you writing that blog entry), where you
were acting kind of horrified as to this possibility ("'circumventing'
checked exceptions"). I remember being a bit puzzled by that reaction
back then already.
It wasn't I who was acting so horrified, but that discussion did help me
decide on the topic.
I fail to see why I should care about it. Firstly, given what humongous
load of other crap programmers can do (wrong), and secondly given that
there is quite an easy way to "circumvent" checked exceptions: use
different Throwables. That's a little different.

Please advise if I'm missing something crucial.
Yes, the series of posts I put in Esoteric Java Features are more about
knowing how to bend the rules. :)