new asp web application

Guest

hi,

I am New to asp.net. I am using Visual Studio 2003. I have been reading
some books but still can not get starting a project correct. I have been
reading some about creating a virtual directory. So here is what I have done.
1. created a folder C:\MyWebsiteApp
2. went to wwwroot\default website started the virtual directory wizard
named it MyWebsite then pointed it to the folder on the C drive that I
created.
3. started up Visal Studio, visual basic project, New asp Web Application.

Here is where I am stuck. I try to change the defaul directory from
http:\\localhost to point to my created folder C:\MyWebsiteApp. but it will
not let me point to that?

So this is what I am confussed on, the books I read seem to say to do that
but I am not getting it to work.

I wanted to have all the files in this location so i could find them easier
and if i wanted to move the i could judt move that folder.

could someone tell a newbie what he is doing wrong please.

Thanks,
Jeff

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,
[...]

VS2003 is not the friendliest environment for beginners in ASP.NET. If
you have a choice, I strongly recommend you to use VS2005.

If you don't, however, you must understand that VS2003 requires the
CSPROJ file to be created in a virtual folder. So actually, instead of
entering "C:\MyWebsiteApp" in the target folder, you must enter
"http://localhost/MyWebsite".

Also, note that in URLs, the separator is a forward slash, not a
backwards slash (probably a typo in your post).

HTH,
Laurent