new at xml

Discussion in 'XML' started by Guy, Jan 31, 2013.

  1. Guy

    Guy Guest

    I downloaded a .zip file which contains 1 file and 3 folders. The folders
    then contain more files and more folders. I want to go over this information
    but I don't know the first thing about it. I was reading that there are
    different file types:

    xml data type
    xsd schema
    rels relations

    Is this a document that can be viewed like a Presentation or text document?
    What program do I need? I am still just running XP and have MS Office 2010.

    All and any info appreciated. Here is the content of that .zip file:
    Guy

    [Content_Types].xml (This is the only file in the root directory.)
    _rels <dir> (This directory contains just the one file which only has
    an extention but no name!)
    .rels
    docProps <dir> (This directory has the two following files.)
    app.xml
    core.xml
    ppt <dir> (This directory has 4 files and several subdirectories with
    more files and directories, not all included
    presentation.xml
    presProps.xml
    tableStyles.xml
    viewProps.xml
    _rels <dir>
    presentation.xml.rels
    media <dir>
    image1.wmf
    notesMasters <dir>
    notesMaster1.xml
    _rels <dir>
    notesMaster1.xml.rels
    notesSlides <dir>
    _rels <dir>
    slideLayouts <dir>
    _rels <dir>
    slideMasters <dir>
    _rels <dir>
    slides
    theme

    Guy, Jan 31, 2013

  2. * Guy wrote in comp.text.xml:
    >I downloaded a .zip file which contains 1 file and 3 folders. The folders
    >then contain more files and more folders. I want to go over this information
    >but I don't know the first thing about it. I was reading that there are
    >different file types:
    >
    >xml data type
    >xsd schema
    >rels relations
    >
    >Is this a document that can be viewed like a Presentation or text document?
    >What program do I need? I am still just running XP and have MS Office 2010.

    Recent versions of Microsoft Office use a file format that consists of
    XML documents and other resources packed into a .zip file. In your case
    you might be looking at a PowerPoint document. You could try to rename
    the file .pptx and open it in PowerPoint, if you just want to view the
    document.

    Bjoern Hoehrmann, Jan 31, 2013

  3. Guy

    Guy Guest

    "Bjoern Hoehrmann" <> wrote in message
    >* Guy wrote in comp.text.xml:
    >>I downloaded a .zip file which contains 1 file and 3 folders. The folders
    >>then contain more files and more folders. I want to go over this
    >>information
    >>but I don't know the first thing about it. I was reading that there are
    >>different file types:
    >>
    >>xml data type
    >>xsd schema
    >>rels relations
    >>
    >>Is this a document that can be viewed like a Presentation or text
    >>document?
    >>What program do I need? I am still just running XP and have MS Office
    >>2010.

    > Recent versions of Microsoft Office use a file format that consists of
    > XML documents and other resources packed into a .zip file. In your case
    > you might be looking at a PowerPoint document. You could try to rename
    > the file .pptx and open it in PowerPoint, if you just want to view the
    > document.
    > --
    > Björn Höhrmann · mailto: · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
    > Am Badedeich 7 · Telefon: +49(0)160/4415681 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
    > 25899 Dagebüll · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/

    You would think it could contain PowerPoint documents from the ppt folder
    included in the zip. I was able to extract the content from the zip file so
    I'm thinking the zip files was valid. In any case, I renamed the xml files
    to pptx but PowerPoint says it found a problem with the content. When I
    click repair it says there was an error accessing the file.
    I then thought you may have meant the zip file so I renamed it to pptx but
    PowerPoint says it found a problem with the content... I clicked on repair
    and PowerPoint says the file format is invalid.
    Would I need a special version of PowerPoint?
    Guy

    Guy, Jan 31, 2013
  4. Guy

    Guy Guest

    "Guy" <> wrote in message
    >I downloaded a .zip file which contains 1 file and 3 folders. The folders
    >then contain more files and more folders. I want to go over this
    >information but I don't know the first thing about it. I was reading that
    >there are different file types:
    >
    > xml data type
    > xsd schema
    > rels relations
    >
    > Is this a document that can be viewed like a Presentation or text
    > document? What program do I need? I am still just running XP and have MS
    > Office 2010.

    -----snip!

    Ok! I opened a normal ppt file in my ppt2010 and i was able to save it in
    xml format, and here's what it look like in notepad:

    <?mso-application progid="PowerPoint.Show"?>
    <pkg:package
    xmlns:pkg="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2006/xmlPackage">
    <pkg:part pkg:name="/_rels/.rels"
    pkg:contentType="application/vnd.openxmlformats-package.relationships+xml"
    pkg:padding="512">

    However, the other xml file that i am trying to open with ppt2010 looks like
    this:

    <Properties
    xmlns="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/officeDocument/2006/extended-properties"
    xmlns:vt="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/officeDocument/2006/docPropsVTypes">
    <TotalTime>3</TotalTime>
    <Words>747</Words>

    Could it be that I need ppt2007 or ppt2003 to open this?

    Thanks again for all info.
    Guy

    Guy, Jan 31, 2013
  5. Guy

    Peter Flynn Guest

    On 01/31/2013 02:43 AM, Guy wrote:
    > "Bjoern Hoehrmann" <> wrote in message
    >> * Guy wrote in comp.text.xml:
    >>> I downloaded a .zip file which contains 1 file and 3 folders. The
    >>> folders then contain more files and more folders. I want to go
    >>> over this information but I don't know the first thing about it.
    >>> I was reading that there are different file types:
    >>>
    >>> xml data type
    >>> xsd schema
    >>> rels relations

    There are actually many more than that, but a rels file smells like
    Microsoft Office (Word, Powerpoint, or Excel), as Bjoern pointed out.

    >>> Is this a document that can be viewed like a Presentation or text
    >>> document?
    >>> What program do I need? I am still just running XP and have MS Office
    >>> 2010.

    Rename the file to end in .pptx and open it in Office.

    > You would think it could contain PowerPoint documents from the ppt folder
    > included in the zip.

    I don't understand that sentence at all, I'm afraid.

    > I was able to extract the content from the zip file so
    > I'm thinking the zip files was valid. In any case, I renamed the xml files
    > to pptx

    No, rename the whole thing to .pptx

    > but PowerPoint says it found a problem with the content. When I
    > click repair it says there was an error accessing the file.
    > I then thought you may have meant the zip file so I renamed it to pptx but
    > PowerPoint says it found a problem with the content... I clicked on repair
    > and PowerPoint says the file format is invalid.

    Try renaming it to end in .docx and opening it in Word
    Try renaming it to end in .xlsx and opening it in Excel

    > Would I need a special version of PowerPoint?

    No, there is no such thing. I suspect the file is not an Office file
    saved by Office, but a file created in some other application trying to
    construct an Office 2010 file...but failing.

    Get back to the original site and ask them to send you a valid file.

    Or use zip to create a listing of all the files in there and post it
    here so we can see what's supposed to be in there.

    ///Peter

    Peter Flynn, Feb 1, 2013