new at xml

Guy

I downloaded a .zip file which contains 1 file and 3 folders. The folders
then contain more files and more folders. I want to go over this information
but I don't know the first thing about it. I was reading that there are
different file types:

xml data type
xsd schema
rels relations

Is this a document that can be viewed like a Presentation or text document?
What program do I need? I am still just running XP and have MS Office 2010.

All and any info appreciated. Here is the content of that .zip file:
Guy

[Content_Types].xml (This is the only file in the root directory.)
_rels <dir> (This directory contains just the one file which only has
an extention but no name!)
.rels
docProps <dir> (This directory has the two following files.)
app.xml
core.xml
ppt <dir> (This directory has 4 files and several subdirectories with
more files and directories, not all included
presentation.xml
presProps.xml
tableStyles.xml
viewProps.xml
_rels <dir>
presentation.xml.rels
media <dir>
image1.wmf
notesMasters <dir>
notesMaster1.xml
_rels <dir>
notesMaster1.xml.rels
notesSlides <dir>
_rels <dir>
slideLayouts <dir>
_rels <dir>
slideMasters <dir>
_rels <dir>
slides
theme

Bjoern Hoehrmann

* Guy wrote in comp.text.xml:
I downloaded a .zip file which contains 1 file and 3 folders. The folders
then contain more files and more folders. I want to go over this information
but I don't know the first thing about it. I was reading that there are
different file types:

xml data type
xsd schema
rels relations

Is this a document that can be viewed like a Presentation or text document?
What program do I need? I am still just running XP and have MS Office 2010.

Recent versions of Microsoft Office use a file format that consists of
XML documents and other resources packed into a .zip file. In your case
you might be looking at a PowerPoint document. You could try to rename
the file .pptx and open it in PowerPoint, if you just want to view the
document.

Guy

Bjoern Hoehrmann said:
* Guy wrote in comp.text.xml:

Recent versions of Microsoft Office use a file format that consists of
XML documents and other resources packed into a .zip file. In your case
you might be looking at a PowerPoint document. You could try to rename
the file .pptx and open it in PowerPoint, if you just want to view the
document.

You would think it could contain PowerPoint documents from the ppt folder
included in the zip. I was able to extract the content from the zip file so
I'm thinking the zip files was valid. In any case, I renamed the xml files
to pptx but PowerPoint says it found a problem with the content. When I
click repair it says there was an error accessing the file.
I then thought you may have meant the zip file so I renamed it to pptx but
PowerPoint says it found a problem with the content... I clicked on repair
and PowerPoint says the file format is invalid.
Would I need a special version of PowerPoint?
Guy

Guy

Guy said:
I downloaded a .zip file which contains 1 file and 3 folders. The folders
then contain more files and more folders. I want to go over this
information but I don't know the first thing about it. I was reading that
there are different file types:

xml data type
xsd schema
rels relations

Is this a document that can be viewed like a Presentation or text
document? What program do I need? I am still just running XP and have MS
Office 2010.
-----snip!

Ok! I opened a normal ppt file in my ppt2010 and i was able to save it in
xml format, and here's what it look like in notepad:

<?mso-application progid="PowerPoint.Show"?>
<pkg:package
xmlns:pkg="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2006/xmlPackage">
<pkg:part pkg:name="/_rels/.rels"
pkg:contentType="application/vnd.openxmlformats-package.relationships+xml"
pkg:padding="512">

However, the other xml file that i am trying to open with ppt2010 looks like
this:

<Properties
xmlns="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/officeDocument/2006/extended-properties"
xmlns:vt="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/officeDocument/2006/docPropsVTypes">
<TotalTime>3</TotalTime>
<Words>747</Words>

Could it be that I need ppt2007 or ppt2003 to open this?

Thanks again for all info.
Guy

Peter Flynn

There are actually many more than that, but a rels file smells like
Microsoft Office (Word, Powerpoint, or Excel), as Bjoern pointed out.

Rename the file to end in .pptx and open it in Office.
You would think it could contain PowerPoint documents from the ppt folder
included in the zip.

I don't understand that sentence at all, I'm afraid.
I was able to extract the content from the zip file so
I'm thinking the zip files was valid. In any case, I renamed the xml files
to pptx

No, rename the whole thing to .pptx
but PowerPoint says it found a problem with the content. When I
click repair it says there was an error accessing the file.
I then thought you may have meant the zip file so I renamed it to pptx but
PowerPoint says it found a problem with the content... I clicked on repair
and PowerPoint says the file format is invalid.

Try renaming it to end in .docx and opening it in Word
Try renaming it to end in .xlsx and opening it in Excel
Would I need a special version of PowerPoint?

No, there is no such thing. I suspect the file is not an Office file
saved by Office, but a file created in some other application trying to
construct an Office 2010 file...but failing.

Get back to the original site and ask them to send you a valid file.

Or use zip to create a listing of all the files in there and post it
here so we can see what's supposed to be in there.

///Peter