new extension generator for C++

Patrick Maupin

Alright, then, all he's asking you to do is to make *your* software
available under a GPL-compatible licence. That's what I meant in the
context of the discussion. Usually, people complain about how the GPL
dictates a single licence, forbidding all others, that is then
inseparable from their work ("It's my work but they make me GPL it! I
can't even control my own work any more! The FSF owns it!" and such
nonsense), but I've already given examples of this not being the case
at all.

In that post, specifically, RMS says to use the GPL in some cases,
rather than the LGPL, for libraries. Any other interpretation of
*that post* is disingenuous.
What the licence asks you to do and what the author of the licence
wants you to do are two separate things.

But the whole context was about what RMS wanted me to do and you
disagreed!
I wrote "the software" above when I meant "your software", but I have
not pretended that the whole system need not be available under the
GPL.

You say you "have not pretended" but you've never mentioned that it
would or even acknowledged the correctness of my assertions about this
until now, just claiming that what I said was false.
More loaded terms to replace the last set, I see.

IMO "Bullying" is the correct term for some of Stallman's actions,
including in the clisp debacle. I knew you wouldn't agree -- that's
why YMMV. And I'm not "replacing" any set of terms -- part of the
"bullying" is the "forcing."
Again, what I meant was "your software", not the whole software
system. As I more or less state below...

BUT THAT DOESN'T MATTER. Once the whole package is licensed under the
GPL, for someone downstream to try to scrape the GPL off and get to
just the underlying non-GPL parts is harder than scraping bubblegum
off your shoe on a hot Texas day.
It would require the resulting system to be licensed under the GPL. As
it stands by itself, rst2pdf would need to be licensed compatibly with
the GPL.

They've softened their stance considerably over the last few years,
and don't overreach nearly as much as they used to, I agree.

[...]
You mentioned WebKit as a non-GPL-licensed project which attracted
contributions from hard-nosed business. WebKit started life as KHTML
and was (and still is) LGPL-licensed, but for all practical purposes,
KHTML was only ever experienced by KDE users whilst linked to the Qt
framework, then available under the GPL. Now, given that WebKit now
works with other GUI frameworks, yet is still LGPL-licensed (and this
has nothing to do with recent Qt licensing developments, since this
applies to the period before those changes), it is clear that any
assertion that WebKit "was made GPL-only", which is what a lot of
people claim, is incorrect.

I didn't make that claim and have never heard of that claim, and I'm
not at all sure of the relevance of whatever you're trying to explain
to the licensing of an overall program, rather than a library.
I've now given you the specifics.

And now that I know the specifics, I think they are completely
irrelevant to any points I was trying to make in this discussion.
All RMS and the FSF's lawyers wanted was that the CNRI licences be GPL-
compatible. There are actually various aspects of GPL-compatibility
that are beneficial, even if you don't like the copyleft-style
clauses, so I don't think it was to the detriment of the Python
project.

And I don't have a problem with that. Honestly I don't. But as far
as I'm concerned, although you finally admitted it, a lot of the
dancing around appeared to be an attempt to disprove my valid
assertion that a combined work would have to be distributed under the
GPL, and that no other free software license claims sovereignty over
the entire work.
Well, if you're planning to release code and just walk away from it,
then choosing a permissive licence might be acceptable, but not all
code "found" by people on the Internet is abandoned, even if it is
apparently mere fodder for their super-important project.

Code doesn't have to be abandoned to be an attractive nuisance.
Well, that may not be a judgement shared by the authors. There are
numerous tools and components which do dull jobs and whose maintenance
is tedious and generally unrewarding, but that doesn't mean that such
investment is worth nothing in the face of someone else's so-very-
topical high-profile project.

OK, so what you're saying is that readline is so dull and unrewarding
that the only reason to bother writing it is to reel people in to the
GPL?
Well, if people are making use of "some good code found for free on
the Internet", particularly if they are corporations like Cisco, and

I'm not talking about Cisco. I'm talking about people like the author
of clisp, and you well know it.
they choose not to understand things like copyright and licensing, or
they think "all rights reserved" is just a catchy slogan, then they
probably shouldn't be building larger works and redistributing them.

Well, the FSF seems to have softened its stance, but at the time,
clisp wasn't even distributing readline. That's why I use terms like
"bullying". The bully now knows it's harder to get away with that
particular lie, but he's still scheming about how to reel more people
in.
This may seem unfair to you, but there are plenty of other
organisations who are much less charitable about copyright
infringement than the FSF or the average Free Software developer.

None of those claim that their software is "Free Software" (all
caps). You apparently think it's fine that that's just a catchy
slogan.
But if you're more or less saying that the intentions of an author can
(or should) be disregarded if the desire to use that author's work is
great enough, well, that's certainly interesting to learn.

I never said that and you know it. I have explicitly gone out of my
way to indicate that I won't use GPLed software in cases where my
doing so might violate the author's wishes, even if it would be legal
to do so, and I have always said people should be able to use whatever
license they want. But the intentions of an author, as viewed
through, e.g., the MIT license, are much easier to discern and much
more liberal for downstream users than the GPL, which is exceedingly
long and requires a huge FAQ to even begin to fathom.

Regards,
Pat

Patrick Maupin

The point is, GPL (and OWL) is for programmers who just don't care about
the legal stuffs and would want to spend more time writing code than
writing license.

Absolutely. When I wrote "permissive license" I was not trying to
imply that everybody should roll their own.

Regards,
Pat

Patrick Maupin

What certainty does the MIT licence give contributors to a project
against patent infringement claims initiated by another contributor?

None. If I was worried about that, I'd probably use the Apache
license instead.
Again, the author does not exercise control when people must
voluntarily choose to use that author's work and thereby agree to
adhere to that author's set of terms.

So you're saying that Microsoft doesn't exercise control about keeping
me from using a copy of Windows on more than one machine -- it's not
"control" because I agreed to it up front. Sorry, my mileage
varies. In fact, I would (and do) say that Microsoft forces me to buy
one copy of Windows for every machine I want to run it on.

Regards,
Pat

Patrick Maupin

Thus, "owned my soul" joins "holy war" and "Bin Laden" on the list.
That rhetorical toolbox is looking pretty empty at this point.

Not emptier than you analogy toolbox. This is really a pretty stupid
analogy, but I guess my lame attempts at showing that are wasted.
He isn't, though. He's telling you that you can't force other people
to lick the chocolate off whatever "Reese's Peanut Butter cups" are,
rather than actually eating the combination of the two, when you offer
such a combination to someone else.

No. That's not what is happening, and you've now officially stretched
the analogy way past the breaking point. In any case, he's telling me
I have to give the recipe for my homemade peanut butter.
Is the Creative Commons share-
alike clause just as objectionable to you, because it's that principle
we're talking about here?

I have explained that, in some cases, I will use GPL software, and in
other cases I won't, and tried to explain why and what the difference
is. Anybody can re-read my posts and figure out that the same might
apply to the various Creative Commons licenses.
Yes, he's making everyone commit to sharing, and yes, it's like a
snowball effect once people agree to join in.

Sorry, I sometimes have a hard time distinguishing the semantic
difference between "make" and "force". Could you elucidate?
But unless you hide that
commitment, no-one imposes anything on anyone. They can get their
chocolate elsewhere. They join in; they are not conscripted.

And I've already explained why, in some cases, someone might refuse
the tastiest chocolate in the world to not join in.
Entering an agreement voluntarily does not mean that you are forced to
enter that agreement, even if the agreement then involves obligations
(as agreements inevitably do).

No, but copyright licenses are funny things, not like contracts where
there is a meeting of the minds up front. For example, while the
Ciscos of the world have no excuse, I bet a lot of people who download
Ubuntu and make copies for their friends are unaware of this section
of the GPL FAQ:

"I downloaded just the binary from the net. If I distribute copies, do
I have to get the source and distribute that too? Yes. The general
rule is, if you distribute binaries, you must distribute the complete
corresponding source code too. The exception for the case where you
received a written offer for source code is quite limited."

Regards,
Pat

Patrick Maupin

The analogy breaks here; unlike chocolate, the value of software/source
code, if shared, doesn't decrease (in fact, many software increases its
value when shared liberally, e.g. p2p apps).

Absolutely true. Actually, the analogy was really pretty broken to
start with. It wasn't my analogy -- I was just trying to play
along :)
There might be certain cases where the software contains some trade
secret whose value decreases the more people knows about it; but sharing
does not decrease the value of the software, at least not directly, it
is the value of the secret that decreases because of the sharing.

Sure. But in general, people will share, often even when doing so is
legally questionable. Just look at the RIAA's woes if you don't
believe me. The only real question here is whether the marginal value
achieved by adding constraints to force people to share (which most
would have done anyway) outweighs the costs to people who, for
whatever reason (perhaps a trade secret obligation) *can't* share.

The answer to that question may well vary depending on several
factors. The fact that GPL and Apache and MIT and BSD are available
is a good thing -- whichever license an author feels best fits his
project is definitely the one he should use.

Regards,
Pat

Paul Boddie

Not emptier than you analogy toolbox.  This is really a pretty stupid
analogy, but I guess my lame attempts at showing that are wasted.

Yes they are. The analogy was to point out that someone can really
want something, but if they are not prepared to accept the "price" of
acquiring it, then there is no point in them whining about someone
withholding that thing from them, or whining about someone "forcing"
them to do stuff, especially when there is clearly no "force" involved
at all.

[...]
No.  That's not what is happening, and you've now officially stretched
the analogy way past the breaking point.  In any case, he's telling me
I have to give the recipe for my homemade peanut butter.

If you want to redefine the basis of the analogy, then you can talk
about the recipe all you like, yes. Otherwise, no: the analogy was
only about people whining about not being able to get stuff with no
strings attached. I could swap that analogy with one that has someone
really wanting a ride on a bus, or wanting to go to the moon, where
they don't like it when someone tells them that they can't get do that
stuff without agreeing to something or other first. Feel free to start
discussing the shape of the bus ticket or who pays for spacesuits if
you want, but to say, "I really want to use that thing, but that nasty
man has licensed it under the GPL" is whining in precisely the same
way as featured in the analogy.
I have explained that, in some cases, I will use GPL software, and in
other cases I won't, and tried to explain why and what the difference
is.  Anybody can re-read my posts and figure out that the same might
apply to the various Creative Commons licenses.

So it is objectionable to you as well, then.

[...]
Sorry, I sometimes have a hard time distinguishing the semantic
difference between "make" and "force".  Could you elucidate?

Yes: once they've agreed to join in, they "have to" go along with the
whole scheme.
And I've already explained why, in some cases, someone might refuse
the tastiest chocolate in the world to not join in.

Well, great for them. I thought they were "forced" to join in. I guess
not.

[...]
No, but copyright licenses are funny things, not like contracts where
there is a meeting of the minds up front.  For example, while the
Ciscos of the world have no excuse, I bet a lot of people who download
Ubuntu and make copies for their friends are unaware of this section
of the GPL FAQ:

"I downloaded just the binary from the net. If I distribute copies, do
I have to get the source and distribute that too?   Yes. The general
rule is, if you distribute binaries, you must distribute the complete
corresponding source code too. The exception for the case where you
received a written offer for source code is quite limited."

Yes, and that's why, when Mepis Linux were found not to be
distributing the sources, they had to go along with the above section.
And that's also why version 3 of the GPL has a clause about nominating
a party that will honour the obligation to provide source. But what's
your problem exactly? The GPL applies to redistribution, and the
default state of a copyrighted work is that you don't have permission
to redistribute it, so before someone shares something they have to
know whether they are able to do so or not.

The various clauses are all there for their own reasons. If you don't
like them, don't use GPL-licensed software.

Paul

Paul Boddie

But the whole context was about what RMS wanted me to do and you
disagreed!

What RMS as an activist wants is that everyone releases GPL-licensed
code, except where permissively licensed code might encourage open
standards proliferation. What RMS the licence author requests is that
your work is licensed in a way which is compatible with the GPL.

[...]
You say you "have not pretended" but you've never mentioned that it
would or even acknowledged the correctness of my assertions about this
until now, just claiming that what I said was false.

Well, excuse me! I think we both know that combining something with a
GPL-licensed work and redistributing it means that the "four freedoms"
must apply, and that recipients get the work under the GPL. You can
insist that I said something else, but I spell it out in this post:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/msg/034fbc8289a4d555

Specifically the part...

"Not least because people are only obliged to make their work
available under a GPL-compatible licence so that people who are using
the combined work may redistribute it under
the GPL."

In case you don't find this satisfactory, "their work" means "their
own work".

[...]
IMO "Bullying" is the correct term for some of Stallman's actions,
including in the clisp debacle.  I knew you wouldn't agree -- that's
why YMMV.  And I'm not "replacing" any set of terms -- part of the
"bullying" is the "forcing."

Stallman gave Haible the choice to not use readline. Maybe that wasn't
very nice, and maybe Haible didn't believe that using readline would
incur any consequences, but that's what you get when you use a
copyrighted work. Your language is all about portraying the FSF as
operating in some kind of illegal or unethical way. I guess you
believe that if you throw enough mud, some of it will stick.
BUT THAT DOESN'T MATTER.  Once the whole package is licensed under the
GPL, for someone downstream to try to scrape the GPL off and get to
just the underlying non-GPL parts is harder than scraping bubblegum
off your shoe on a hot Texas day.

Big deal. If a project wants to avoid even looking at GPL-licensed
code for the reason that someone might end up getting the code under
the GPL, and that they're so bothered that the opportunity to not
grant such recipients the privileges of modification and
redistribution disappears because of the GPL, then that's their
problem.

[WebKit is LGPL-licensed but KHTML linked to GPL-licensed code,
shouldn't WebKit be GPL-licensed?]
I didn't make that claim and have never heard of that claim, and I'm
not at all sure of the relevance of whatever you're trying to explain
to the licensing of an overall program, rather than a library.

The point is precisely the one you concede about a project needing to
be licensed compatibly with the GPL, even though to use the combined
work, the result will be GPL-licensed.

[...]
And I don't have a problem with that.  Honestly I don't.  But as far
as I'm concerned, although you finally admitted it, a lot of the
dancing around appeared to be an attempt to disprove my valid
assertion that a combined work would have to be distributed under the
GPL, and that no other free software license claims sovereignty over
the entire work.

I never denied that the GPL would apply to the combined work! Read the
stuff I quote above. Your *own* stuff (for example, the WebKit stuff)
can be licensed compatibly with the GPL (for example, the LGPL), but
the *whole* thing as it lands in the user's lap will be GPL-licensed.

[...]
OK, so what you're saying is that readline is so dull and unrewarding
that the only reason to bother writing it is to reel people in to the
GPL?

No, what I am saying is that a fair amount of work might have gone
into making readline, even though it may not be shiny enough by some
people's standards, but that doesn't mean you can disregard the
authors' wishes by insisting that is it "trivial" or unimportant,
whereas your own software somehow is important. As soon as you go down
that road, everyone can start belittling the works of others purely so
that they can start disregarding the terms which regulate those works,
and then it's a free-for-all.

[...]
I'm not talking about Cisco.  I'm talking about people like the author
of clisp, and you well know it.

Well, Cisco seemed to have a bit of a problem. Maybe they thought that
this "free stuff" was just a commodity, too.
Well, the FSF seems to have softened its stance, but at the time,
clisp wasn't even distributing readline.  That's why I use terms like
"bullying".  The bully now knows it's harder to get away with that
particular lie, but he's still scheming about how to reel more people
in.

What the FSF did was regrettable if the author didn't feel he had a
choice. I have no idea what went on beyond what the public mailing
list record can reveal.

Paul

Patrick Maupin

Yes they are. The analogy was to point out that someone can really
want something, but if they are not prepared to accept the "price" of
acquiring it, then there is no point in them whining about someone
withholding that thing from them, or whining about someone "forcing"
them to do stuff, especially when there is clearly no "force" involved
at all.

But nobody's whining about the strings attached to the software. Just
pointing out why they sometimes won't use a particular piece of
software, and pointing out that some other people (e.g. random Ubuntu
users) might not understand the full cost of the software, and that
that is because the cost of the software has been deliberately
obscured by using unqualified terms like all-caps "Free Software."
If you want to redefine the basis of the analogy, then you can talk
about the recipe all you like, yes. Otherwise, no: the analogy was
only about people whining about not being able to get stuff with no
strings attached. I could swap that analogy with one that has someone
really wanting a ride on a bus, or wanting to go to the moon, where
they don't like it when someone tells them that they can't get do that
stuff without agreeing to something or other first. Feel free to start
discussing the shape of the bus ticket or who pays for spacesuits if
you want, but to say, "I really want to use that thing, but that nasty
man has licensed it under the GPL" is whining in precisely the same
way as featured in the analogy.

Oh, no wonder I didn't understand what you were getting at with the
analogy. I'm not whining about people licensing stuff under the GPL,
just about its apologists pretending there are never any negative
consequences from it.
So it is objectionable to you as well, then.

I somehow knew that is how you would read my posts, but no. It's
people like you putting words in my month that is objectionable.
[...]
Sorry, I sometimes have a hard time distinguishing the semantic
difference between "make" and "force".  Could you elucidate?

Yes: once they've agreed to join in, they "have to" go along with the
whole scheme.

Sorry, that is absolutely no different than what I originally said
when I was first defending Aahz's use of the word "force" to Ben
Finney back on the 7th:

"Perhaps you feel "forces" is too loaded of a word. There is no
question, however, that a copyright license can require that if you do
"X" with some code, you must also do "Y". There is also no question
that the GPL uses this capability in copyright law to require anybody
who distributes a derivative work to provide the source. Thus,
"forced to contribute back any changes" is definitely what happens
once the decision is made to distribute said changes in object form."

Both your "make" and my "force" mean "to compel." We've come full
circle. The English language makes no real distinction between
"making everyone commit" and "forcing everyone [to] commit".

Well, great for them. I thought they were "forced" to join in. I guess
not.

That's because you use selective quoting of "forced" and deliberately
ignore the context it was used in.
Yes, and that's why, when Mepis Linux were found not to be
distributing the sources, they had to go along with the above section.
And that's also why version 3 of the GPL has a clause about nominating
a party that will honour the obligation to provide source. But what's
your problem exactly?

My problem, exactly, is that bothering Mepis, yet not bothering Joe
Blow when he gives a copy to his friend, is exactly the kind of
selective enforcement of copyright rights that Microsoft is accused of
when they turn a blind eye to piracy in third-world countries.
The GPL applies to redistribution, and the
default state of a copyrighted work is that you don't have permission
to redistribute it, so before someone shares something they have to
know whether they are able to do so or not.

And Joe Blow assumes that something that says "Free Software" means
it. Sure he *should* read the copyright license, but you've already
admitted he probably won't bother, and might not understand it if he
does.
The various clauses are all there for their own reasons. If you don't
like them, don't use GPL-licensed software.

I've already explained very carefully multiple times:

1) I often use GPL software, and don't have any problem with the
license at all *as a user*.
2) I very seldom create stuff under the GPL because I don't like
imposing those sorts of restrictions on software I am giving away; and
3) For stuff I create which is not under the GPL, to make sure that I
can give it away without restrictions, I need to make sure that I am
not incorporating any GPL software.

Despite your opinion, there is nothing legally or morally wrong with
me using GPL software (and not redistributing it) just because I
happen to feel that (a) for my purposes, for most stuff I write, it
happens to be the wrong license, (b) (especially historically) some of
the practices used to insure proliferation of the GPL are ethically
questionable, and (c) whenever these ethically questionable practices
are discussed, quasi-religious apologists will take these questionable
practices to the next level, by selective quoting and bad analogies
and hinting at things without actually coming out and saying them, and
all sorts of other debate tactics designed to confuse rather than
enlighten.

Regards,
Pat

Lie Ryan

Absolutely true. Actually, the analogy was really pretty broken to
start with. It wasn't my analogy -- I was just trying to play
along :)

All analogy is broken, except if the analogy is the exact situation; but
then again, if the analogy is the exact situation, then it's not an
analogy :)

Patrick Maupin

What RMS as an activist wants is that everyone releases GPL-licensed
code, except where permissively licensed code might encourage open
standards proliferation. What RMS the licence author requests is that
your work is licensed in a way which is compatible with the GPL.

Sorry, didn't know they were twins.
[...]
[...]

OK, but in the last several threads on this sub-part, you kept
contradicting me for some supposed technicality (how was I to know
there were two RMS's?) when I was trying to make the same point.
[...]
IMO "Bullying" is the correct term for some of Stallman's actions,
including in the clisp debacle.  I knew you wouldn't agree -- that's
why YMMV.  And I'm not "replacing" any set of terms -- part of the
"bullying" is the "forcing."

Stallman gave Haible the choice to not use readline. Maybe that wasn't
very nice,

It wasn't even legally correct. At that point, Stallman had access to
counsel, etc. and should have known better.
and maybe Haible didn't believe that using readline would
incur any consequences,

He wasn't distributing it! It didn't incur any legal consequences;
only the consequence due to not realizing that using readline placed
him squarely inside RMS's chess game.
but that's what you get when you use a
copyrighted work.

No. That's what you get when you use a copyrighted work authored by
an idealist who is trying to spread his choice of license.
Your language is all about portraying the FSF as
operating in some kind of illegal or unethical way.

Sorry, didn't mean to be that subtle. RMS and others at the FSF have,
on multiple occasions, made statements about how licenses work which
are legally false. This is not illegal, but it is, in my opinion,
unethical. Some of these claims appear to not be made so boldly any
more, so perhaps they are catching on that others have caught on.
I guess you
believe that if you throw enough mud, some of it will stick.

I don't care about mud or sticking. I am happy to see that the
current wording of the FAQ probably means that another clisp/readline
scenario won't happen, and like to believe that the public outcry over
this sort of thing, and reminders of it in this sort of discussion,
help to remind the FSF that others are watching them.
Big deal. If a project wants to avoid even looking at GPL-licensed
code for the reason that someone might end up getting the code under
the GPL, and that they're so bothered that the opportunity to not
grant such recipients the privileges of modification and
redistribution disappears because of the GPL, then that's their
problem.

Yes, I understand it's no big deal to you. However, what you have
said is not quite right. If I license something under the MIT
license, I cannot guarantee that no one will ever get it under the
GPL, because it could be redistributed downstream under the GPL (but
then I don't care to in any case). However, I *can* guarantee that
the code I write (and all the underlying code it relies on) will
remain freely available from me for people who need the ability to,
for example, link with proprietary code.

Despite this not being a very big deal to you, the whole tempest in a
teacup here is about this very issue. Yes, I understand it is a
problem for me, or any other author who wants to provide code that can
be used freely by people who download it. And, as has been pointed
out in this discussion, many people don't read licenses very
carefully, so someone who doesn't want to restrict other people from
linking his library with third party proprietary code should think
twice about using the GPL.
[WebKit is LGPL-licensed but KHTML linked to GPL-licensed code,
shouldn't WebKit be GPL-licensed?]
I didn't make that claim and have never heard of that claim, and I'm
not at all sure of the relevance of whatever you're trying to explain
to the licensing of an overall program, rather than a library.

The point is precisely the one you concede about a project needing to
be licensed compatibly with the GPL, even though to use the combined
work, the result will be GPL-licensed.

You keep spinning around on what you're trying to argue or prove. I
don't know what I'm supposed to have "conceded" -- I was only stating
the obvious about how if I incorporate GPL licensed code in a project,
the entire project has to be GPL licensed.
I never denied that the GPL would apply to the combined work! Read the
stuff I quote above. Your *own* stuff (for example, the WebKit stuff)
can be licensed compatibly with the GPL (for example, the LGPL), but
the *whole* thing as it lands in the user's lap will be GPL-licensed.

Yes, but at the outset, I was talking about incorporating (at least to
the point of redistributing) GPL-licensed code. That forces the
license.
No, what I am saying is that a fair amount of work might have gone
into making readline, even though it may not be shiny enough by some
people's standards, but that doesn't mean you can disregard the
authors' wishes by insisting that is it "trivial" or unimportant,
whereas your own software somehow is important. As soon as you go down
that road, everyone can start belittling the works of others purely so
that they can start disregarding the terms which regulate those works,
and then it's a free-for-all.

Ahh, well done. You've sucked me into a meaningless side debate. If
I'm not distributing readline, then legally the license distribution
terms don't apply to me. End of story. (Morally, now we might get
into how trivial it is or isn't.)
Well, Cisco seemed to have a bit of a problem. Maybe they thought that
this "free stuff" was just a commodity, too.

Well, that's the problem with an "attractive nuisance." It's
attractive, or people wouldn't use it, and it's a nuisance -- either
you have to have the lawyers look at all this paperwork, or you can
just ignore it and hope for the best and be bothered by the nuisance
later. And before you start talking about how the license isn't any
worse than Microsoft, etc. -- just remember that, for Cisco, part of
what makes it attractive is the availability of source.
What the FSF did was regrettable if the author didn't feel he had a
choice. I have no idea what went on beyond what the public mailing
list record can reveal.

But you don't need to know anything else. RMS claimed clisp was a
derivative work of readline, even though readline wasn't even
distributed with clisp. That's just plain copyright misuse, and if it
had gone to court with good lawyers, RMS might have lost the copyright
protections for readline.

Regards,
Pat

Paul Boddie

On May 12, 1:00 pm, Paul Boddie <[email protected]> wrote:

[Quoting himself...]
OK, but in the last several threads on this sub-part, you kept
contradicting me for some supposed technicality (how was I to know
there were two RMS's?) when I was trying to make the same point.

We both agree that any combining a work with a GPL-licensed work means
that the result has to be distributable under the GPL. I was also
merely pointing out that the non-GPL-licensed work has to be licensed
compatibly if the possibility of combination with GPL-licensed works
exists, but you still get to choose the licence. You even acknowledged
this:

"In practice, what it really means is that the combination (e.g. the
whole program) would effectively be GPL-licensed. This then means
that downstream users would have to double-check that they are not
combining the whole work with licenses which are GPL-incompatible,
even if they are not using the svg feature."

And for the last time, Stallman's opinion on what you should or should
not do is a distinct matter from the actual use of these licences.

[Haible and readline]
He wasn't distributing it!  It didn't incur any legal consequences;
only the consequence due to not realizing that using readline placed
him squarely inside RMS's chess game.

Really, what Stallman did in 1992 is a matter for Stallman to defend.
Whether a bunch of people use the GPL to license their work or not is
a separate matter. All I can say is that Stallman's reasoning was
probably driven by the possibility that someone could license their
work in a fashion that is incompatible with readline, but deliberately
be able to make use of it technically, and then when a user combines
that work and readline, the user is told that although readline is
used in that combined work, the licensing terms do not now apply.

[...]
No.  That's what you get when you use a copyrighted work authored by
an idealist who is trying to spread his choice of license.

Well, take it up with Stallman, then. It's a separate issue from the
use of the FSF's licences and even how the FSF functions today.

[...]
Yes, I understand it's no big deal to you.  However, what you have
said is not quite right.  If I license something under the MIT
license, I cannot guarantee that no one will ever get it under the
GPL, because it could be redistributed downstream under the GPL (but
then I don't care to in any case).  However, I *can* guarantee that
the code I write (and all the underlying code it relies on) will
remain freely available from me for people who need the ability to,
for example, link with proprietary code.

Yes, and as I said, in the context of a program landing in a user's
lap, there is no guarantee that such a program will offer users any
privileges other than to run the program, and then maybe only under
certain conditions. Which is how this discussion began.
Despite this not being a very big deal to you, the whole tempest in a
teacup here is about this very issue.  Yes, I understand it is a
problem for me, or any other author who wants to provide code that can
be used freely by people who download it.  And, as has been pointed
out in this discussion, many people don't read licenses very
carefully, so someone who doesn't want to restrict other people from
linking his library with third party proprietary code should think
twice about using the GPL.

Sure, the permissive licences declare fewer restrictions or
obligations on immediate recipients, but what kicked this discussion
off was the remark about end-user privileges, not what certain
recipients (but not others) are able to do with the code.

[...]
Ahh, well done.  You've sucked me into a meaningless side debate.  If
I'm not distributing readline, then legally the license distribution
terms don't apply to me.  End of story.  (Morally, now we might get
into how trivial it is or isn't.)

According to the FSF, whose opinions you don't trust, it doesn't
matter if you do distribute readline or not:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#LinkingWithGPL
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfLibraryIsGPL

From version 3 of the GPL:

"For example, Corresponding Source includes interface definition files
associated with source files for the work, and the source code for
shared libraries and dynamically linked subprograms that the work is
specifically designed to require, such as by intimate data
communication or control flow between those subprograms and other
parts of the work."

You may beg to differ. I would advise against doing so in a courtroom.

[...]
But you don't need to know anything else.  RMS claimed clisp was a
derivative work of readline, even though readline wasn't even
distributed with clisp.  That's just plain copyright misuse, and if it
had gone to court with good lawyers, RMS might have lost the copyright
protections for readline.

Now that *is* a ridiculous statement. Just because a decision is made
that one work is not derived from another does not mean that the
claimed original work is no longer subject to copyright.

Paul

Paul Boddie

But nobody's whining about the strings attached to the software.  Just
pointing out why they sometimes won't use a particular piece of
software, and pointing out that some other people (e.g. random Ubuntu
users) might not understand the full cost of the software, and that
that is because the cost of the software has been deliberately
obscured by using unqualified terms like all-caps "Free Software."

Right. The "full cost" of software that probably cost them nothing
monetarily and which comes with all the sources, some through a chain
of distribution and improvement which could have led to proprietary
software had the earliest stages in the chain involved permissive
licensing. And that they can't sell a binary-only Ubuntu derivative.

[...]
Oh, no wonder I didn't understand what you were getting at with the
analogy.  I'm not whining about people licensing stuff under the GPL,
just about its apologists pretending there are never any negative
consequences from it.

So, the "negative consequences" are that people can't make proprietary
editions of some software. When that's a deliberate choice in the
design of a licence, there's no pretending that the consequences
aren't there, just that they aren't perceived by everyone to be
negative.

[Sharing alike]
I somehow knew that is how you would read my posts, but no.  It's
people like you putting words in my month that is objectionable.

Well, you effectively said that you didn't like being asked to "share
alike", which is what the GPL achieves, so why should I not assume
that you generally object to other, more obviously labelled licences
like the CC-*-SA licences which make it clear what is expected of that
hapless recipient of a work who doesn't bother reading the licence?

[Obligations after joining a scheme]
Sorry, that is absolutely no different than what I originally said
when I was first defending Aahz's use of the word "force" to Ben
Finney back on the 7th:

"Perhaps you feel "forces" is too loaded of a word.  There is no
question, however, that a copyright license can require that if you do
"X" with some code, you must also do "Y".  There is also no question
that the GPL uses this capability in copyright law to require anybody
who distributes a derivative work to provide the source.  Thus,
"forced to contribute back any changes" is definitely what happens
once the decision is made to distribute said changes in object form."

Both your "make" and my "force" mean "to compel."  We've come full
circle.  The English language makes no real distinction between
"making everyone commit" and "forcing everyone [to] commit".

Yes, but you have to choose to do something ("X") to start with. Which
is actually what you wrote later in that exchange:

"Again, the force is applied once you choose to do a particular thing
with the software -- is is really that hard to understand that
concept?"

But you're virtually claiming that people stumble into a situation
where they have to do something they don't like or didn't anticipate,
when in fact they've actually entered into an agreement.

[...]
My problem, exactly, is that bothering Mepis, yet not bothering Joe
Blow when he gives a copy to his friend, is exactly the kind of
selective enforcement of copyright rights that Microsoft is accused of
when they turn a blind eye to piracy in third-world countries.

Nonsense. If anything, it's a matter of priorities, and completely
absurd to claim that the FSF and all the other copyright holders for
GPL-licensed software on Ubuntu installation media are all conspiring
together to "seed" the planet with "unlicensed wares" in order to reap
some kind of monetary reward afterwards, which is what Microsoft has
been accused of.

[...]
Despite your opinion, there is nothing legally or morally wrong with
me using GPL software (and not redistributing it) just because I

I never said there was. I said that if you don't like the licence,
don't incorporate works which use it into your own projects. But don't
say that it's not fair that people are releasing stuff under terms you
don't like, or say that they're being "pathetic" or petty or
ridiculous by doing so, or are imposing their agenda on you.
happen to feel that (a) for my purposes, for most stuff I write, it
happens to be the wrong license, (b) (especially historically) some of
the practices used to insure proliferation of the GPL are ethically
questionable, and (c) whenever these ethically questionable practices
are discussed, quasi-religious apologists will take these questionable
practices to the next level, by selective quoting and bad analogies
and hinting at things without actually coming out and saying them, and
all sorts of other debate tactics designed to confuse rather than
enlighten.

More name-calling and finger-pointing. Great stuff, there. Anything
else?

Paul

Patrick Maupin

According to the FSF, whose opinions you don't trust, it doesn't
matter if you do distribute readline or not:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq....gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#IfLibraryIsGPL

From version 3 of the GPL:

"For example, Corresponding Source includes interface definition files
associated with source files for the work, and the source code for
shared libraries and dynamically linked subprograms that the work is
specifically designed to require, such as by intimate data
communication or control flow between those subprograms and other
parts of the work."

You may beg to differ. I would advise against doing so in a courtroom.

Well, it's unlikely anybody will get a chance in a courtroom, because
nobody's going to bring suit.
Now that *is* a ridiculous statement. Just because a decision is made
that one work is not derived from another does not mean that the
claimed original work is no longer subject to copyright.

Well, it won't come to court because the FSF is just going to posture
on this issue, but never really sue anybody (certainly not any open
source project), because they would lose both in court and in public
opinion. But if they did decide to sue, a few prior cases like Sega v
Accolade and Galoob v Nintendo, as well as the court's use of the
abstraction, filtration and comparison tests to strip functionality
away from copyrightable subject matter, would probably be dispositive
in determining that a substantial program like clisp that didn't
include readline, but which could use readline, is not, in fact, a
derivative of readline.

Once the court reaches that conclusion, it would only be a tiny step
to find that the FSF's attempt to claim that clisp infringes the
readline copyright to be a misuse of that same readline copyright.
See, e.g. LaserComb v Reynolds, where the defendant (IMHO) acted much
more egregiously than anybody who is delivering free software like
clisp is acting, and nevertheless won on that issue.

Regards,
Pat

Patrick Maupin

Right. The "full cost" of software that probably cost them nothing
monetarily and which comes with all the sources, some through a chain
of distribution and improvement which could have led to proprietary
software had the earliest stages in the chain involved permissive
licensing. And that they can't sell a binary-only Ubuntu derivative.

Who's talking about selling a binary-only version -- there is a good
chance they can't even give away a binary CD without violating
copyright.
[...]
Oh, no wonder I didn't understand what you were getting at with the
analogy.  I'm not whining about people licensing stuff under the GPL,
just about its apologists pretending there are never any negative
consequences from it.

So, the "negative consequences" are that people can't make proprietary
editions of some software. When that's a deliberate choice in the
design of a licence, there's no pretending that the consequences
aren't there, just that they aren't perceived by everyone to be
negative.

I gave an example earlier of svglib and rst2pdf. Negative
consequences. Nothing proprietary involved.
Well, you effectively said that you didn't like being asked to "share
alike", which is what the GPL achieves.

I give away lots of software. Free to all comers. Come and get some.
so why should I not assume
that you generally object to other, more obviously labelled licences
like the CC-*-SA licences which make it clear what is expected of that
hapless recipient of a work who doesn't bother reading the licence?

Your assumptions are so far away from reality that there is really no
good reason why you shouldn't assume that I'm a 10 foot tall purple
monster.
[...]

I didn't just write that later. I wrote it in my very first post,
which you just quoted a few lines up, apparently without even
bothering to read it closely. I agree with that. But you only
grudgingly agree with that, if at all, and when you do you make it
look like I'm the one trying desperately not to agree with it, because
in order to agree with it, you have to agree that, in the limited
context that I used the word "force", it is accurate, and you really
don't want to do that.
But you're virtually claiming that people stumble into a situation
where they have to do something they don't like or didn't anticipate,
when in fact they've actually entered into an agreement.

Some people (end users of Ubuntu) do stumble into a situation. Some
people see and decide not to enter into an agreement and attempt to
warn others that there may be consequences -- that if they enter into
the agreement they will be "forced" to live with those consequences.
This latter group of people always winds up arguing with those who
think the GPL is always good and none of the consequences are ever
negative, and forced is a loaded word.
Nonsense. If anything, it's a matter of priorities, and completely
absurd to claim that the FSF and all the other copyright holders for
GPL-licensed software on Ubuntu installation media are all conspiring
together to "seed" the planet with "unlicensed wares" in order to reap
some kind of monetary reward afterwards, which is what Microsoft has
been accused of.

So, the FSF, which so carefully provides the most legalese-ish license
on the planet, which was in development for god-knows-how-long, which
maintains a carefully parsed FAQ of what you can and can't do, which
engages in all sorts of advocacy, can't find the time to explain to
Ubuntu that they really ought to explain how the licensing works on
their download page? What have you been smoking and where can I get
some?
I never said there was. I said that if you don't like the licence,
don't incorporate works which use it into your own projects.

No, you said "If you don't like them, don't use GPL-licensed
software."
But don't
say that it's not fair that people are releasing stuff under terms you
don't like, or say that they're being "pathetic" or petty or
ridiculous by doing so, or are imposing their agenda on you.

The only time I mentioned pathetic and petty were for really small
libraries, which probably wouldn't merit copyright protection in any
case.
More name-calling and finger-pointing. Great stuff, there. Anything
else?

Yes, just that you keep selectively quoting both of us, and twisting
what we both said to meet your agenda. But I'm done. I think there
are enough pointers to original material here for others to go and do
whatever level of research they deem appropriate for their own
situations.

Regards,
Pat

Paul Boddie

Once the court reaches that conclusion, it would only be a tiny step
to find that the FSF's attempt to claim that clisp infringes the
readline copyright to be a misuse of that same readline copyright.
See, e.g. LaserComb v Reynolds, where the defendant (IMHO) acted much
more egregiously than anybody who is delivering free software like
clisp is acting, and nevertheless won on that issue.

In that very case you mention, LaserComb did not lose the copyright
protection on their work, were "free to bring an infringement suit
once it had cured the misuse" [1], and the clause which led to a
defence based on "copyright misuse" was one which forbade licensees
from making competing products.

Paul

[1] http://itlaw.wikia.com/wiki/Lasercomb_America_v._Reynolds#cite_ref-2

Patrick Maupin

Once the court reaches that conclusion, it would only be a tiny step
to find that the FSF's attempt to claim that clisp infringes the
readline copyright to be a misuse of that same readline copyright.
See, e.g. LaserComb v Reynolds, where the defendant (IMHO) acted much
more egregiously than anybody who is delivering free software like
clisp is acting, and nevertheless won on that issue.

In that very case you mention, LaserComb did not lose the copyright
protection on their work, were "free to bring an infringement suit
once it had cured the misuse" [1], and the clause which led to a
defence based on "copyright misuse" was one which forbade licensees
from making competing products.

Yes. You make 3 points here, which I will address in order

1) They did not lose the copyright protection on their work.

To be clear, what I meant by losing copyright protection is not at all
the same as losing the copyright itself. The loss of protections
simply means that you can't necessarily prevail in a lawsuit for
infringement against people who infringed while you were misusing the
copyright. This could be true, even if while the copyright was being
misused, RMS attempted to sue someone else, and even if he had a solid
case. From Lasercomb: "However, again analogizing to patent misuse,
the defense of copyright misuse is available even if the defendants
themselves have not been injured by the misuse." So, during the time
of the misuse, yes, they lost their copyright protections, but the
loss was only temporary and could be cured going forward by not
overreaching in their license agreement.

2) "Were free to bring an infringement suit once they cured the
misuse."

Yes, if you read the actual footnote you are referencing, it cites
United States Gypsum Co. v National Gypsum Co., which was a patent
case. In that case, there was a price-fixing cartel based on patents,
and the cartel lost its ability to use the patents until they changed
their illegal patent licensing scheme. Once they changed how they
licensed their patents to the court's satisfaction, they were then
free to go after patent infringers. BUT, only for infringements that
occurred *after* they cured the infringement. Curing the infringement
is not a magic wand that allows you a mulligan for your original cause
of action, otherwise the patent/copyright misuse defense would be
meaningless.

3) and the clause which led to a defence based on "copyright misuse"
was one which forbade licensees from making competing products.

Yes, but if you read the reasoning in the decision, almost any attempt
to stretch a copyright (or patent) to cover things it doesn't really
cover could be viewed as a misuse. So, to the extent that the GPL
claims that the distribution of something that links to readline
violates readline's copyright by being a derivative work, if a court
finds this to be untrue, it could also find that the readline
copyright was being misused, at least until the license were modified
to make it clear that distributing a program that could use readline
(without distributing readline) did not impose any specific licensing
requirements on the readline-using program.

To follow this logic, all you have to do is to read the LaserComb
decision very carefully (it analogizes copyright misuse to patent
misuse), and then read the myriad ways it is possible to misuse
patents.

Regards,
Pat

Paul Boddie

Who's talking about selling a binary-only version -- there is a good
chance they can't even give away a binary CD without violating
copyright.

People only have to honour requests for the corresponding source if
asked for it. They are not violating copyright by default. If you
think Ubuntu are exposing people to legal peril by advocating that
people make copies of Ubuntu for their friends, why don't you tell
Mark Shuttleworth about it?

[...]
I gave an example earlier of svglib and rst2pdf.  Negative
consequences.  Nothing proprietary involved.

Negative consequences for people who don't want to touch GPL-licensed
software and who reserve the right to make proprietary versions of
rst2pdf.

[...]
I give away lots of software.  Free to all comers.  Come and get some..

Yes, but you don't insist that people "share alike". I don't demand
that you insist that, either, but you clearly object to other people
putting that condition on their own works.
Your assumptions are so far away from reality that there is really no
good reason why you shouldn't assume that I'm a 10 foot tall purple
monster.

Then you've done a very bad job communicating them. Laying off the
bizarre imagery might help remedy that somewhat.

[...]
I didn't just write that later.  I wrote it in my very first post,
which you just quoted a few lines up, apparently without even
bothering to read it closely.

I did read it closely. Now read your own comment closely and take
particular notice of the word "choose".

[...]
So, the FSF, which so carefully provides the most legalese-ish license
on the planet, which was in development for god-knows-how-long, which

Have you read the Mozilla Public License? Have you read through Sun's
JDK licence? You were complaining about Microsoft licensing earlier:
have you read those licences through to the end? (There are people who
refuse to accept them, incidentally, and are then refused any kind of
refund for the product. Next you'll be claiming that the FSF's
indiscretions are on the same level as this particular Microsoft-plus-
vendor scam, and yet accuse me of a lack of a sense of perspective.)
maintains a carefully parsed FAQ of what you can and can't do, which
engages in all sorts of advocacy, can't find the time to explain to
Ubuntu that they really ought to explain how the licensing works on
their download page?

I think Ubuntu can maybe see the case for moving their notice on their
"legal" page to the download page if you can make it successfully. Or
is your point that people have to be "warned" about that inconvenient
GPL licence?
 What have you been smoking and where can I get some?

Yes, always ready with a pertinent response, I see.

[...]
No, you said "If you don't like them, don't use GPL-licensed
software."

In the context of developing and redistributing it. If you hate the
GPL so much, you might not feel comfortable even using the software,
either, but that's up to you. You're the one with the problem with the
GPL.
The only time I mentioned pathetic and petty were for really small
libraries, which probably wouldn't merit copyright protection in any
case.

And for you, libraries like readline are apparently not really worth
anything, either. It's always interesting to see the case made for
incorporating something into another system because it apparently has
little value relative to the entire system, but should the request be
made that the incorporated work be dropped and replaced by something
rewritten to do the same job, it is suddenly far too much work.
Yes, just that you keep selectively quoting both of us, and twisting
what we both said to meet your agenda.  But I'm done.  I think there
are enough pointers to original material here for others to go and do
whatever level of research they deem appropriate for their own
situations.

All my position has ever been is this:

A copyrighted work denies recipients virtually all rights to do stuff
with that work, such as modify and redistribute it. Copyleft licences
grant some privileges and uphold some obligations in order to ensure
that these privileges are universally maintained in all forms and
extensions of the work. Permissive licences grant more privileges to
immediate recipients but do not uphold as many obligations.

You rejected the suggestion that people using permissive licences
afford users fewer privileges than those using copyleft licences, yet
on balance when considering all forms and extensions of the work, they
do. And the only such privilege that the copyleft licences withholds
from recipients is that of withholding any other privilege from others
who receive the work.

You objected to the suggestion that people using permissive licences
do not care about maintaining such privileges ("an uncaring bunch"),
yet it can be said that they surely do not actively care about the
matter of such privileges being maintained: I have encountered
proprietary variants of Apache technologies, and proprietary editions
of Python have been released from some vendors. If they had considered
it important enough, they would not have chosen licences which
permitted the delivery of their work (or extended versions thereof) to
people where many of the privileges normally afforded to users have
been withheld.

You made the point that some people don't want to touch GPL-licensed
software because it might affect the permissively licensed software
that they are writing. Since the only effect of combining both forms
of software occurs when offering that to a user, and that effect is to
uphold the copyleft obligations and maintain the corresponding set of
privileges, withholding only the privilege to deny recipients the
other privileges, this means that it becomes impossible to make the
combined work a proprietary one. You then tried to sow uncertainty
about the validity and effectiveness of the GPL to achieve its
objectives.

I can see why some people don't like the GPL. When the only notable
privilege it withholds is precisely that of taking the work of others
and making a proprietary product from it, all the claims about
coercion and ideology should be considered against this very function
of the licence. Then, the motivations of a number of its critics are
plain for all to see.

That some of those critics appeal to public outrage by using
references to terrorists, criminals and fundamentalists should hardly
be surprising, and I have come to expect no better in discussions of
this kind. Anything to accuse others of having an agenda - even better
if that agenda can be blended in the popular imagination with those
aforementioned kinds of undesirable people - while doing as much as
they can to conceal their own.

Paul

Patrick Maupin

People only have to honour requests for the corresponding source if
asked for it. They are not violating copyright by default.

Well, the gospel according to the FSF says otherwise:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#UnchangedJustBinary
If you
think Ubuntu are exposing people to legal peril by advocating that
people make copies of Ubuntu for their friends, why don't you tell
Mark Shuttleworth about it?

Because I don't really think the peril is real -- a) nobody's going to
sue because of the negative PR consequences; and b) fair use would nip
the lawsuit in the bud. In fact, the very *lack* of warning on the
Ubuntu site would help the end user in the lawsuit.
Negative consequences for people who don't want to touch GPL-licensed
software and who reserve the right to make proprietary versions of
rst2pdf.

Negative consequences for people who don't want to tell other people
what to do.
Yes, but you don't insist that people "share alike". I don't demand
that you insist that, either, but you clearly object to other people
putting that condition on their own works.

You're still not paying attention. I think it's fine if people want
to do that, but I still think there is "force" involved, and that it
is not the best solution for all situations. I also believe that
legally, the GPL license tries to overreach in its control of other
people's software, but that morally that may not matter, because the
intentions of the license's author are clear.
Then you've done a very bad job communicating them. Laying off the
bizarre imagery might help remedy that somewhat.

I didn't start off with bizarre imagery. That only came about when
people started trying to use really lame excuses about why my initial
statement was wrong.
[...]
I didn't just write that later.  I wrote it in my very first post,
which you just quoted a few lines up, apparently without even
bothering to read it closely.

I did read it closely. Now read your own comment closely and take
particular notice of the word "choose".

In my initial post, I mentioned that the force kicks in "once the
decision is made..." That implies a choice. Knowingly or not, you
have finally acknowledged that my initial post on this issue is
reasonably accurate, but even in so doing, you keep pointing to
specific words there to try to show that I'm contradicting myself.
Which, if I am, is only because I'm overreaching to try to combat the
overreaching on the other side. I fully stand by my first post on
this issue, and most of the posting since then has been to correct
misunderstandings and apparently willful misinterpretations of that.
I think Ubuntu can maybe see the case for moving their notice on their
"legal" page to the download page if you can make it successfully.

The point, which I have made in another post, is that a fairly normal
way of acquiring Ubuntu -- giving a friend a CD -- violates the GPL as
written, and this is by design. The goal is to get more free software
users even if they are abusing the license, and only punish those who
are abusing the license in particular ways. BTW, there is nothing
even on Ubuntu's legal page warning about this possible consequence
for sharing a CD, or at least not in a very clear fashion.
Or
is your point that people have to be "warned" about that inconvenient
GPL licence?

I don't think that would be a bad idea at all. Say what you want
about Microsoft; if you install Windows, their software is quick to
explain all the licensing terms in gory detail. Mind you, even that's
not really in English, but they get more points for the attempt than
Ubuntu.
Yes, always ready with a pertinent response, I see.

I am ready with pertinent responses to well thought-out arguments, and
with impertinent responses to silly arguments. From a practical
perspective, Microsoft turning a blind eye to increase market share,
and GPL authors turning a blind eye to increase market share and/or
goodwill are identical. The fact that money is involved in one
instance and not in the other is immaterial. The fact that you
believe in the goals of one and not the goals of the other is
immaterial. The true fact is that, in both cases, copyright law in
conjunction with the license would allow the author to go after
several individuals for license violations, and (IMHO) a deliberate
decision has been made not to do so. There have been numerous well-
publicized instances of people giving away copies they burned of
Ubuntu without corresponding source or a written offer, and no
negative consequences that I can see.
[...]
No, you said "If you don't like them, don't use GPL-licensed
software."

In the context of developing and redistributing it. If you hate the
GPL so much, you might not feel comfortable even using the software,
either, but that's up to you. You're the one with the problem with the
GPL.

The context was right after talking about Mepis getting slapped, and
how all the clauses of the GPL were there for a reason, and if you
don't like the clauses, don't use the software. I did not read it
with the contextual limitations you are now claiming for it. You,
either deliberately or carelessly, have written several thing like
this that could easily be misconstrued, and this sometimes exasperates
me to the point where I write impertinent responses.
And for you, libraries like readline are apparently not really worth
anything, either. It's always interesting to see the case made for
incorporating something into another system because it apparently has
little value relative to the entire system, but should the request be
made that the incorporated work be dropped and replaced by something
rewritten to do the same job, it is suddenly far too much work.

No, you are absolutely misreading. The case is for *not*
incorporating something into another system, because it's really *not*
that much work, even though the replicated effort is a bit of a shame
in some cases.
All my position has ever been is this:

A copyrighted work denies recipients virtually all rights to do stuff
with that work, such as modify and redistribute it.

Translation: Copyright law gives the author a monopoly on
distribution and derivative works, and absent an explicit license to
make a derivative work or distribute a copy, the author can sue you
for making the derivative work or distributing the copy. Nobody
forces the author to do that; it is his choice alone, but if he makes
it, government might back him up in his attempt to damage you. Also,
in choosing a commercial license such as the GPL, the author is making
clear his intent to assert his rights, so you should take this very
seriously.
Copyleft licences
grant some privileges and uphold some obligations in order to ensure
that these privileges are universally maintained in all forms and
extensions of the work.

Translation:

Copyleft licences are a way for the author to communicate that he will
not sue you for making a derivative work or distributing a copy as
long as you distribute source code. In reality, the author probably
will not sue you even if you don't distribute source code with that
Ubuntu CD, but you really can't be sure about that, because he has
made it clear that he *really* wants you to give out the source code.
In fact, on the FSF website, they make it clear in several places that
the author really wants you to give away your *own* source code if it
could interoperate with the author's source code, *even if* you're not
actually giving away the author's source code.
Permissive licences grant more privileges to
immediate recipients but do not uphold as many obligations.

Translation:

Software with a permissive license is more of a gift. No quid-pro-quo
required, and the license does not attempt to claim rights over
anything except the actual licensed work.
You rejected the suggestion that people using permissive licences
afford users fewer privileges than those using copyleft licences,

That is correct. All "privileges" as you put it are merely things
that a user can do with the code without fear of a lawsuit by the
author, and when an author uses a permissive license, he indicates
that the things that he could possibly find egregious enough to sue
over are very few. For example, if you give an Ubuntu CD to your
friend without giving source code or a written offer of source code,
you have violated the license on quite a few of the programs on the
CD, but not, for example, on Python or Apache, because these licenses
do not attempt to forbid you from doing this.
yet on balance when considering all forms and
extensions of the work, they do.

Translation:

An author using the GPL is using the threat of lawsuits against *other
authors* to force the other authors to make their work also available
under the GPL. Some authors attempt use this threat even against the
authors of works which a user could conveniently link against a GPLed
work, even when the authors of these other works have not copied or
distributed the GPL work themselves. Some people, including Mr.
Boddie, feel that the public benefits of this license pyramid scheme
greatly outweigh any negative consequences of this scheme, in part by
equating the scheme itself with freedom and morality, and then using
the tautological logic that anybody who feels the negative
consequences must be immorally against freedom.
And the only such privilege that the copyleft licences withholds
from recipients is that of withholding any other privilege from others
who receive the work.

Translation:

We really are serious about suing people who violate the license in
some cases. Even though the stated purpose of the license is to
encourage sharing, the only really safe thing to do is to not share
that Ubuntu CD, because if you don't give out the exact source to the
exact object on the CD to everybody you give the CD to, you could be a
target. Well, not really. That would be bad PR. But to protect your
rights, we have to design the license in such a way that we do reserve
the right to sue you under these conditions. Just so you know.
You objected to the suggestion that people using permissive licences
do not care about maintaining such privileges ("an uncaring bunch"),
yet it can be said that they surely do not actively care about the
matter of such privileges being maintained:

Oh? They take down their source archives on a whim?
I have encountered
proprietary variants of Apache technologies, and proprietary editions
of Python have been released from some vendors.

Oh, I see. Once someone releases a proprietary version of Python,
it's game over -- the PSF people realize they're outnumbered and
that's when take down their repository, so that's how privileges
disappear.

Seriously, to the extent there is nothing new in the proprietary
version, it's no big deal -- get it from the original source (probably
fewer viruses anyway). To the extent there are additional features in
the proprietary version, guess what? They were written by somebody
else and they don't belong to the PSF people. To the extent there are
bug fixes in the proprietary version that aren't in the mainline
Python distribution -- hah! that's extremely unlikely.
If they had considered
it important enough, they would not have chosen licences which
permitted the delivery of their work (or extended versions thereof) to
people where many of the privileges normally afforded to users have
been withheld.

"Normally afforded to users." Normalcy, in the software world, is
what Microsoft does. Sure, that's changing, and that's good, but I
don't think that word means what you think it does. But in any case,
you're right -- they didn't consider it important enough. Hint: that
doesn't make them uncaring.
You made the point that some people don't want to touch GPL-licensed
software because it might affect the permissively licensed software
that they are writing.
Correct.

Since the only effect of combining both forms
of software occurs when offering that to a user,

No, according to the FSF, the effect can happen even before the
software is combined, when non-GPLed software is offered to the user,
if that non-GPLed software can interact in certain ways with GPLed
software.
and that effect is to
uphold the copyleft obligations and maintain the corresponding set of
privileges, withholding only the privilege to deny recipients the
other privileges,

Translation:

The effect is to try to force licensing terms on software that the
author didn't write.
this means that it becomes impossible to make the
combined work a proprietary one.

That's obviously the strongly desired effect.
You then tried to sow uncertainty
about the validity and effectiveness of the GPL to achieve its
objectives.

The GPL is certainly effective in achieving some of its objectives. I
disagree how useful some of those are to society, sure. In terms of
the validity of the license, I believe that the selective enforcement
of the GPL will only target those actors who everybody can agree is
bad, but that the literal writing of the GPL and, especially the FSF's
FAQ about the GPL, is unsupportably overbroad. For example, a literal
reading really does require you to give grandma source or a written
offer if you install Ubuntu on her computer, but fair use would
decimate that claim in a heartbeat. Nonetheless, on a few of the
overbroad claims, the FSF prefers to promulgate FUD about how, for
example, it would not be possible for a proprietary program to
dynamically link to readline. The wouldn't actually file a lawsuit on
that issue, because the possibility they would lose is too great.
I can see why some people don't like the GPL.

Yes, you see, but you don't understand.
When the only notable
privilege it withholds is precisely that of taking the work of others
and making a proprietary product from it.

No, it theoretically keeps me from burning a Ubuntu CD and then
putting it on my grandmother's computer without also downloading a
bunch of source code. A literal reading of the license shows that the
restrictions really are that onerous.
all the claims about
coercion and ideology should be considered against this very function
of the licence. Then, the motivations of a number of its critics are
plain for all to see.

Here, we absolutely agree. Just want to be sure that we also agree
that the GPL license is *so* picky about how it goes about its
business that you can't even link GPL v2-only code with GPL v3 code
without incurring a license violation. It's really tough to innovate
on licensing when one of the major functions of the license is to
propagate exact copies of itself.
That some of those critics appeal to public outrage by using
references to terrorists, criminals and fundamentalists should hardly
be surprising, and I have come to expect no better in discussions of
this kind.

When the leader of your religion bandies terms like "freedom" and
"evil" about, what do you expect? Seriously?
Anything to accuse others of having an agenda

So now you're claiming RMS doesn't have an agenda? That's really
interesting. I think even he would disagree.
- even better
if that agenda can be blended in the popular imagination with those
aforementioned kinds of undesirable people - while doing as much as
they can to conceal their own.

My primary agenda is to explain that RMS does, in fact, have an
agenda, and the GPL was designed as a tool in furtherance of that
agenda, and that while the agenda does have some arguably noble goals,
before using the GPL people should understand its consequences both
for good and bad, and make their own determination about whether it's
the right license for their project.

Regards,
Pat

Brendan Abel

While I think most of the disagreement in this long thread results
from different beliefs in what "freedom" means, I wanted to add, that
most of the responses that argue that the MIT license permits the user
more freedom than the GPL, suffer from the broken window fallacy.
This fallacy results from the short-sided-ness of the user base, as it
is only considering the first generation of derivative works.

I agree, that under an MIT license, the first generation of derivative
works have more freedom. But any extra freedom gained here comes at
the direct expense of all future generations of derivative software.

Under a GPL license, it is true that the first generation will have
less freedom to distribute their software as they would like. But it
also ensures that all subsequent generations of derivative works have
the freedom to access all previous derivative works.

I also want to add that I think the GPL v3 has exceeded this
fundamental concept. GPL v2 really embodies this meaning of "freedom".

Ethan Furman

Brendan said:
While I think most of the disagreement in this long thread results
from different beliefs in what "freedom" means, I wanted to add, that
most of the responses that argue that the MIT license permits the user
more freedom than the GPL, suffer from the broken window fallacy.
This fallacy results from the short-sided-ness of the user base, as it
is only considering the first generation of derivative works.

I agree, that under an MIT license, the first generation of derivative
works have more freedom. But any extra freedom gained here comes at
the direct expense of all future generations of derivative software.

You are assuming that _all_ future generations become propriety, then?
How pessimistic.

Under a GPL license, it is true that the first generation will have
less freedom to distribute their software as they would like. But it
also ensures that all subsequent generations of derivative works have
the freedom to access all previous derivative works.

Just because you have the code for the _current_ version of something,
doesn't mean you have the code for that something three versions ago...
after all, it may have been modified.

~Ethan~