new method to test Perl code

Uri Guttman

d> Here is the method to test perl program when you have no machine with
d> perl: http://www.codeide.com
d> You can do this in IDE mode in the site or run in CGI mode on your own
d> home page like here: http://nick.codeide.com/hello.cgi?name=Visitor

why would you want to test perl code on a machine without perl? and do
you trust people to run any perl code on that box? i wouldn't go near
your box under any circumstances nor would i recommend anyone do so. it
isn't safe for your or their code.

uri

dnikolayev

d> Here is the method to test perl program when you have no machine with
d> perl:http://www.codeide.com
d> You can do this in IDE mode in the site or run in CGI mode on your own
d> home page like here:http://nick.codeide.com/hello.cgi?name=Visitor

why would you want to test perl code on a machine without perl? and do
you trust people to run any perl code on that box? i wouldn't go near
your box under any circumstances nor would i recommend anyone do so. it
isn't safe for your or their code.

uri

Just to test some regexp or something, for instance..
Some regexp or so on..
Show other one some abilities of perl,.. learn language, give your
children ability to test, etc..
There is a lof of reasons to use..
Of course big applications wil not work as needed.. This resource is
for testing, learning and so on.

Uri Guttman

d> Here is the method to test perl program when you have no machine with
d> perl:http://www.codeide.com
d> You can do this in IDE mode in the site or run in CGI mode on your own
d> home page like here:http://nick.codeide.com/hello.cgi?name=Visitor
d> Just to test some regexp or something, for instance.. Some regexp
d> or so on.. Show other one some abilities of perl,.. learn
d> language, give your children ability to test, etc.. There is a lof
d> of reasons to use.. Of course big applications wil not work as
d> needed.. This resource is for testing, learning and so on.

so it is a limited perl which means it isn't useful for testing. you can
install perl on any box you have direct access too (no need for root) so
you don't offer any advantage over that. learning from a limited perl is
not a good idea.

uri

dnikolayev

d> Here is the method to test perl program when you have no machine with
d> perl:http://www.codeide.com
d> You can do this in IDE mode in the site or run in CGI mode on your own
d> home page like here:http://nick.codeide.com/hello.cgi?name=Visitor

d> Just to test some regexp or something, for instance.. Some regexp
d> or so on.. Show other one some abilities of perl,.. learn
d> language, give your children ability to test, etc.. There is a lof
d> of reasons to use.. Of course big applications wil not work as
d> needed.. This resource is for testing, learning and so on.

so it is a limited perl which means it isn't useful for testing. you can
install perl on any box you have direct access too (no need for root) so
you don't offer any advantage over that. learning from a limited perl is
not a good idea.

uri

Uri, I think, you are not understanding, what I am talking about..
When you don't know how to configure perl, but you have a book, where
you read some strings like:

my $world = 'World';
print "Hello, $world!";

and you run it and understands how it works, this is better, then wait
for help from others or read a lot of books, etc..
You can run some code, when you're away - just for modelling
something, etc.

I understand, that when you're big guy - it's easy to configure perl
on every machine, you're being at.. but until that, many users have
probs.. Sorry, this is reality..
And many users, who registred and working now, was not really sure
about working of this service... But know - situation is another..
Yep, we're on beta stage - but we're working to improve service..
our Web IDE supports not only Perl,.. but many other langages also..
Just run in Pascal on our resource something like:

uses Graph;
begin
setcolor(9);
circle(100,100,50);
setcolor(12);
arc(90,105,10,270,5);
arc(100,105,10,180,5);
arc(110,105,-90,180,5);
arc(100,105,10,160,30);
setcolor(9);
arc(80,80,-200,10,12);
arc(115,80,-200,10,12);
line(105,85,125,85);
line(70,85,90,85);
setcolor(0);
circle(80,80,5);
circle(115,80,5);
end.

You should get smile.. without any additional modules and plugins
installed..

As for Perl, it has full basical functionality on this stage.. CGI
support, when running as scripts from web on user pages. We are
working on Big List of modules support on this stage.. but this will
be soon.
Uri, I hope, you will change your meaning, when you understand, that
schoolboys and schoolgirls are not professionals, students are not
guru, etc...
Thanks!

Uri Guttman

d> And many users, who registred and working now, was not really sure
d> about working of this service... But know - situation is another..
d> Yep, we're on beta stage - but we're working to improve service..
d> our Web IDE supports not only Perl,.. but many other langages also..
d> Just run in Pascal on our resource something like:

but you don't get it either. it is VERY easy to install perl on almost
any box. on winblows you can install it in minutes from activestate. all
unix flavors and osx have perl already installed. so that is not an
issue. anyone who wants to learn to code in perl has to have the basic
skills of finding out how to get access to it on their box. and if they
can't do that, they shouldn't even be coding. if they don't own the box,
they can still put it in their home dir. there is no advantage to using
your service for this.

d> As for Perl, it has full basical functionality on this stage.. CGI
d> support, when running as scripts from web on user pages. We are
d> working on Big List of modules support on this stage.. but this will
d> be soon.

and your system will be cracked and broken once you put all that stuff
on it. you can't hope to run open code like this and not have safety
issues. it can't be done. public cgi sites if properly run have
sandboxes for their scripts and security issues. you can't do many
things on those systems. you are implying you can run almost any perl on
your system but that isn't good for you or your users.

d> Uri, I hope, you will change your meaning, when you understand, that
d> schoolboys and schoolgirls are not professionals, students are not
d> guru, etc...

and those boys and girls who don't have experience will run insecure
code on your box and allow it to be cracked.

you will learn this the hard way soon enough.

uri

Jürgen Exner

When you don't know how to configure perl,
I understand, that when you're big guy - it's easy to configure perl
on every machine, you're being at.. but until that, many users have
probs.. Sorry, this is reality..

In case of Unix typically the sys admin will have installed Perl ready to
use already. If you are the admin and you don't know how to configure Perl,
then probably you shouldn't be the admin.

In case of Windows if you don't know how to go to
http://activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl and click your way through
download and install then probably you shouldn't be coding.
Uri, I hope, you will change your meaning, when you understand, that
schoolboys and schoolgirls are not professionals, students are not
guru, etc...

That's the whole point of Perl: it's so easy, a cave man can install it.

jue

Mumia W.

[...]
my $world = 'World';
print "Hello, $world!";

and you run it and understands how it works, this is better, then wait
for help from others or read a lot of books, etc..
You can run some code, when you're away - just for modelling
something, etc.

Why does your site require javascript? I don't trust you enough to let
you run javascript in my browser.

Your site is a completely blank page without javascript. I think
something's up, but even if not, demanding javascript for all content
generation demonstrates ignorance, and webmaster ignorance is enough of
a reason to avoid your website.

Let's say you're for real. What defense do you have against this code?

print `cat /etc/passwd`;

krakle

Here is the method to test perl program when you have no machine with
perl:http://www.codeide.com
You can do this in IDE mode in the site or run in CGI mode on your own
home page like here:http://nick.codeide.com/hello.cgi?name=Visitor

It's crap.

my $blah = 1;
print $blah;

And the result:

0

In addition to not being able to run simplistic code properly you also
can't use modules and any other important Perl keyword... Actually..
the only thing this thing can do it print generic print statements...

I just tried a simple IF statement and it couldn't do that either...

If you are promoting this than you are....well.... a newbie

dnikolayev

Hello,

Just tested your code.. :)
It works ok..
And Then, I tested your code in default tab - BASIC
You ran this code using BASIC language :))

Well, using your cite..
If you are running Perl program in Basic tab than you are....well....
a newbie :)))))))))))))))))

Try to run this in basic better:

for i=1 to 10
circle (100,100), i*10
next

Use specific PERL tab or create PERL-type file: .cgi or .pl to run
Perl programs!

As for modules - we support standart modules and CGI..
We are working on this now..
All of this project is done in Perl.. And this is very strange, that
Perl community here is not interested in growing this :)

krakle

If you are running Perl program in Basic tab than you are....well....

If you are running ANY code using that web based tool you are...
well.... a newbie :)