new method to test Perl code

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by dnikolayev@gmail.com, Feb 21, 2007.

  1. Guest

    , Feb 21, 2007

  2. Uri Guttman Guest

    >>>>> "d" == dnikolayev <> writes:

    d> Here is the method to test perl program when you have no machine with
    d> perl: http://www.codeide.com
    d> You can do this in IDE mode in the site or run in CGI mode on your own
    d> home page like here: http://nick.codeide.com/hello.cgi?name=Visitor

    why would you want to test perl code on a machine without perl? and do
    you trust people to run any perl code on that box? i wouldn't go near
    your box under any circumstances nor would i recommend anyone do so. it
    isn't safe for your or their code.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Feb 21, 2007

    On Feb 22, 12:21 am, Uri Guttman <> wrote:

    > d> Here is the method to test perl program when you have no machine with
    > d> perl:http://www.codeide.com
    > d> You can do this in IDE mode in the site or run in CGI mode on your own
    > d> home page like here:http://nick.codeide.com/hello.cgi?name=Visitor
    >
    > why would you want to test perl code on a machine without perl? and do
    > you trust people to run any perl code on that box? i wouldn't go near
    > your box under any circumstances nor would i recommend anyone do so. it
    > isn't safe for your or their code.
    >
    > uri
    >
    > --
    > Uri Guttman ------ --------http://www.stemsystems.com
    > --Perl Consulting, Stem Development, Systems Architecture, Design and Coding-
    > Search or Offer Perl Jobs ---------------------------- http://jobs.perl.org

    Just to test some regexp or something, for instance..
    Some regexp or so on..
    Show other one some abilities of perl,.. learn language, give your
    children ability to test, etc..
    There is a lof of reasons to use..
    Of course big applications wil not work as needed.. This resource is
    for testing, learning and so on.
    , Feb 21, 2007
  4. Uri Guttman Guest

    d> On Feb 22, 12:21 am, Uri Guttman <> wrote:

    d> Here is the method to test perl program when you have no machine with
    d> perl:http://www.codeide.com
    d> You can do this in IDE mode in the site or run in CGI mode on your own
    d> home page like here:http://nick.codeide.com/hello.cgi?name=Visitor

    >> why would you want to test perl code on a machine without perl? and do
    >> you trust people to run any perl code on that box? i wouldn't go near
    >> your box under any circumstances nor would i recommend anyone do so. it
    >> isn't safe for your or their code.

    d> Just to test some regexp or something, for instance.. Some regexp
    d> or so on.. Show other one some abilities of perl,.. learn
    d> language, give your children ability to test, etc.. There is a lof
    d> of reasons to use.. Of course big applications wil not work as
    d> needed.. This resource is for testing, learning and so on.

    so it is a limited perl which means it isn't useful for testing. you can
    install perl on any box you have direct access too (no need for root) so
    you don't offer any advantage over that. learning from a limited perl is
    not a good idea.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Feb 22, 2007

    On Feb 22, 2:45 am, Uri Guttman <> wrote:

    > d> Here is the method to test perl program when you have no machine with
    > d> perl:http://www.codeide.com
    > d> You can do this in IDE mode in the site or run in CGI mode on your own
    > d> home page like here:http://nick.codeide.com/hello.cgi?name=Visitor
    > >>
    > >> why would you want to test perl code on a machine without perl? and do
    > >> you trust people to run any perl code on that box? i wouldn't go near
    > >> your box under any circumstances nor would i recommend anyone do so. it
    > >> isn't safe for your or their code.

    > d> Just to test some regexp or something, for instance.. Some regexp
    > d> or so on.. Show other one some abilities of perl,.. learn
    > d> language, give your children ability to test, etc.. There is a lof
    > d> of reasons to use.. Of course big applications wil not work as
    > d> needed.. This resource is for testing, learning and so on.
    >
    > so it is a limited perl which means it isn't useful for testing. you can
    > install perl on any box you have direct access too (no need for root) so
    > you don't offer any advantage over that. learning from a limited perl is
    > not a good idea.
    >
    > uri
    >
    > --
    > Uri Guttman ------ --------http://www.stemsystems.com
    > --Perl Consulting, Stem Development, Systems Architecture, Design and Coding-
    > Search or Offer Perl Jobs ---------------------------- http://jobs.perl.org

    Uri, I think, you are not understanding, what I am talking about..
    When you don't know how to configure perl, but you have a book, where
    you read some strings like:

    my $world = 'World';
    print "Hello, $world!";

    and you run it and understands how it works, this is better, then wait
    for help from others or read a lot of books, etc..
    You can run some code, when you're away - just for modelling
    something, etc.

    I understand, that when you're big guy - it's easy to configure perl
    on every machine, you're being at.. but until that, many users have
    probs.. Sorry, this is reality..
    And many users, who registred and working now, was not really sure
    about working of this service... But know - situation is another..
    Yep, we're on beta stage - but we're working to improve service..
    our Web IDE supports not only Perl,.. but many other langages also..
    Just run in Pascal on our resource something like:

    uses Graph;
    begin
    setcolor(9);
    circle(100,100,50);
    setcolor(12);
    arc(90,105,10,270,5);
    arc(100,105,10,180,5);
    arc(110,105,-90,180,5);
    arc(100,105,10,160,30);
    setcolor(9);
    arc(80,80,-200,10,12);
    arc(115,80,-200,10,12);
    line(105,85,125,85);
    line(70,85,90,85);
    setcolor(0);
    circle(80,80,5);
    circle(115,80,5);
    end.

    You should get smile.. without any additional modules and plugins
    installed..

    As for Perl, it has full basical functionality on this stage.. CGI
    support, when running as scripts from web on user pages. We are
    working on Big List of modules support on this stage.. but this will
    be soon.
    Uri, I hope, you will change your meaning, when you understand, that
    schoolboys and schoolgirls are not professionals, students are not
    guru, etc...
    Thanks!
    , Feb 22, 2007
  6. Uri Guttman Guest

    d> And many users, who registred and working now, was not really sure
    d> about working of this service... But know - situation is another..
    d> Yep, we're on beta stage - but we're working to improve service..
    d> our Web IDE supports not only Perl,.. but many other langages also..
    d> Just run in Pascal on our resource something like:

    but you don't get it either. it is VERY easy to install perl on almost
    any box. on winblows you can install it in minutes from activestate. all
    unix flavors and osx have perl already installed. so that is not an
    issue. anyone who wants to learn to code in perl has to have the basic
    skills of finding out how to get access to it on their box. and if they
    can't do that, they shouldn't even be coding. if they don't own the box,
    they can still put it in their home dir. there is no advantage to using
    your service for this.

    d> As for Perl, it has full basical functionality on this stage.. CGI
    d> support, when running as scripts from web on user pages. We are
    d> working on Big List of modules support on this stage.. but this will
    d> be soon.

    and your system will be cracked and broken once you put all that stuff
    on it. you can't hope to run open code like this and not have safety
    issues. it can't be done. public cgi sites if properly run have
    sandboxes for their scripts and security issues. you can't do many
    things on those systems. you are implying you can run almost any perl on
    your system but that isn't good for you or your users.

    d> Uri, I hope, you will change your meaning, when you understand, that
    d> schoolboys and schoolgirls are not professionals, students are not
    d> guru, etc...

    and those boys and girls who don't have experience will run insecure
    code on your box and allow it to be cracked.

    you will learn this the hard way soon enough.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Feb 22, 2007
  7. wrote:
    > When you don't know how to configure perl,
    > I understand, that when you're big guy - it's easy to configure perl
    > on every machine, you're being at.. but until that, many users have
    > probs.. Sorry, this is reality..

    In case of Unix typically the sys admin will have installed Perl ready to
    use already. If you are the admin and you don't know how to configure Perl,
    then probably you shouldn't be the admin.

    In case of Windows if you don't know how to go to
    http://activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl and click your way through
    download and install then probably you shouldn't be coding.

    > Uri, I hope, you will change your meaning, when you understand, that
    > schoolboys and schoolgirls are not professionals, students are not
    > guru, etc...

    That's the whole point of Perl: it's so easy, a cave man can install it.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Feb 22, 2007

    , Feb 22, 2007
  9. Mumia W. Guest

    On 02/21/2007 11:45 PM, wrote:
    > [...]
    > my $world = 'World';
    > print "Hello, $world!";
    >
    > and you run it and understands how it works, this is better, then wait
    > for help from others or read a lot of books, etc..
    > You can run some code, when you're away - just for modelling
    > something, etc.

    Why does your site require javascript? I don't trust you enough to let
    you run javascript in my browser.

    Your site is a completely blank page without javascript. I think
    something's up, but even if not, demanding javascript for all content
    generation demonstrates ignorance, and webmaster ignorance is enough of
    a reason to avoid your website.

    Let's say you're for real. What defense do you have against this code?

    print `cat /etc/passwd`;

    --
    Windows Vista and your freedom in conflict:
    http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2006/10/29/microsoft_vista_eula_analysis/
    Mumia W., Feb 22, 2007
  10. Mumia W. Guest

    Mumia W., Feb 22, 2007

    On Feb 21, 4:02 pm, wrote:
    > Here is the method to test perl program when you have no machine with
    > perl:http://www.codeide.com
    > You can do this in IDE mode in the site or run in CGI mode on your own
    > home page like here:http://nick.codeide.com/hello.cgi?name=Visitor

    It's crap.

    my $blah = 1;
    print $blah;

    And the result:

    0

    In addition to not being able to run simplistic code properly you also
    can't use modules and any other important Perl keyword... Actually..
    the only thing this thing can do it print generic print statements...

    I just tried a simple IF statement and it couldn't do that either...

    If you are promoting this than you are....well.... a newbie
    , Feb 23, 2007

    Hello,

    Just tested your code.. :)
    It works ok..
    And Then, I tested your code in default tab - BASIC
    You ran this code using BASIC language :))

    Well, using your cite..
    If you are running Perl program in Basic tab than you are....well....
    a newbie :)))))))))))))))))

    Try to run this in basic better:

    for i=1 to 10
    circle (100,100), i*10
    next

    Use specific PERL tab or create PERL-type file: .cgi or .pl to run
    Perl programs!

    As for modules - we support standart modules and CGI..
    We are working on this now..
    All of this project is done in Perl.. And this is very strange, that
    Perl community here is not interested in growing this :)
    , Feb 23, 2007

    On Feb 23, 12:55 pm, wrote:
    > If you are running Perl program in Basic tab than you are....well....

    If you are running ANY code using that web based tool you are...
    well.... a newbie :)
    , Mar 3, 2007