New page has complete host name

Mr.G (@¿@)

Hi, I load a second page from a main page and the second page has the
complete host name and not the URL of the main page. Any way to load
this second page and still have the URL address and not the complete
host name in the address box or is there a way to not have an address
box be in the second page? thanks in adance.

Harlan Messinger

Mr.G (@¿@) said:
Hi, I load a second page from a main page and the second page has the
complete host name and not the URL of the main page.

I don't understand what you mean. Anyone who's use the web knows that
the address field shows the URL (= address; there is no such thing as
"URL address") for whatever page is being displayed in the browser.
Any way to load
this second page and still have the URL address and not the complete
host name

The URL of any page includes its host name.
in the address box or is there a way to not have an address
box be in the second page? thanks in adance.

The address field is part of the browser, not part of the page. Do you
expect it to disappear when the new page is rendered?

Can you be more clear about what you're trying to accomplished--and why?

Neredbojias

Hi, I load a second page from a main page and the second page has the
complete host name and not the URL of the main page. Any way to load
this second page and still have the URL address and not the complete
host name in the address box or is there a way to not have an address
box be in the second page? thanks in adance.

Yes.

Mr.G (@¿@)

I don't understand what you mean. Anyone who's use the web knows that
the address field shows the URL (= address; there is no such thing as
"URL address") for whatever page is being displayed in the browser.

The URL of any page includes its host name.

The address field is part of the browser, not part of the page. Do you
expect it to disappear when the new page is rendered?

Can you be more clear about what you're trying to accomplished--and why?

Thanks for the interest and sorry for the confusion. I meant the
Domain Name is not in the second page but the host name is. The Domain
Name is in the first page but the page of the second page called as a
link from the first has the complete host name. Is there a way not to
have the host name by not showing the address box. thanks

David Segall

Mr.G (@¿@) said:
Thanks for the interest and sorry for the confusion. I meant the
Domain Name is not in the second page but the host name is. The Domain
Name is in the first page but the page of the second page called as a
link from the first has the complete host name. Is there a way not to
have the host name by not showing the address box. thanks
Yes. ZoneEdit refer to it as cloaking
<http://www.zoneedit.com/doc/faq.html#faq36> but it has the
disadvantage that if someone bookmarks the page they will return to
the first page rather than the page they intended to bookmark.

Harlan Messinger

Mr.G (@¿@) said:
Thanks for the interest and sorry for the confusion. I meant the
Domain Name is not in the second page but the host name is.

The URL always starts with

http{s}://hostname/

If the URL references a location on the Internet (as opposed to a host
on your local network) and unless you have a nickname set up for it in
your HOSTS file, then the hostname is always either the domain name
(e.g., example.com) or the domain name with a prefix (e.g.,
www.example.com). This is always true. Why are you expecting otherwise?
Why is this of concern?
The Domain
Name is in the first page but the page of the second page called as a
link from the first has the complete host name. Is there a way not to
have the host name by not showing the address box. thanks

Again: you can't just make the address box disappear. It's part of the
browser, not part of your page.

Mr.G (@¿@)

Yes. ZoneEdit refer to it as cloaking
<http://www.zoneedit.com/doc/faq.html#faq36> but it has the
disadvantage that if someone bookmarks the page they will return to
the first page rather than the page they intended to bookmark.

Hi and thanks but it only tell me more or less of what you posted,
I'd like to know how to do it. I went to 3w to look-up Cloaking but it
had nothing on the subject, interesting.

David Segall

Mr.G (@¿@) said:
Hi and thanks but it only tell me more or less of what you posted,
I'd like to know how to do it. I went to 3w to look-up Cloaking but it
had nothing on the subject, interesting.
I have set up a cloaked web site using ZoneEdit. Visit
<http://cloaked.profectus.com.au>. Note that, as you move through the
site, the address bar does not change. The page source shows the frame
that achieves this. To view exactly the same site without cloaking go
to <http://profectus.com.au>.