New to ASP.NET 2.0

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Newbie, Jan 6, 2006.

  1. Newbie

    Newbie Guest

    Hi all,

    I used to develop my web application using ASP classic and ASP.NET 1.1. And
    with the advent of ASP.NET 2.0, I'm now building my first ASP.NET 2.0 web
    application using VWD on XP Pro SP2 with SQL Server as my DB backend. I got
    several questions here:
    - How to set up IIS to use with VWD?
    I tried to set it up normally (like I always do before) by creating a
    virtual directory in IIS pointing to my project folder. But using this
    approach, I never succeeded in testing my authentication/authorization
    modules which I built with ASP.NET built-in classes (create new users/login
    etc). When I tested the same appl using it's built-in Cassini Web Server (by
    clicking 'View in Browser' menu on the Solution Explorer it's just works
    fine. While this is OK to test a single page, I still need the ability to
    fires several page at once to - for example - check several login for
    different user role and see wheather it landed on the right page/folder etc.
    - How to implement my own logic while using the ASP.NET 2.0 built-in
    authentication/authorization classes?
    For example, I want to send an activation email to a newly registered
    customers, allowing them to click the link inside it to really activate
    their account and also verify the email account they entered. I used to do
    this the 'hard-way' in ASP and ASP.NET 1.1 before, though it's works just
    fine it's still a lot of work to be done just to achieve this functionality.
    With ASP.NET 2.0, at least I expected something easier to do this, just like
    what it claims to reduce upto 70% of code :)
    - How to access the 'Website Administration' modules in a hosted server?
    The typical URL in my local server is:
    http://localhost:1273/asp.netwebadm...\CollectionNet\&applicationUrl=/CollectionNet
    I mean, when sometime after deployed my appl to my ASP.NET 2.0 enabled
    hosting server, I need to change several access logics/authorization for
    some roles, how will I do this?
    - Is there anyway I can built my own class DLL with VWD? What minimal
    version do I need to have this functionality?

    Ok, that's all for now guys. I really need to have some insights. I
    appreciate your helps.

    Thanks in advance,
    Andy
    Newbie, Jan 6, 2006

  2. > - How to set up IIS to use with VWD?
    I'll start with this one. You might consider reposting each of your
    questions separately; you might get a better response.

    Assuming that you're using the File System website (C:\Website), you can
    configure this to use IIS within VWD. First of all, you have to already
    have your website (subweb) set up in IIS. Make sure, using the ASP.NET tab
    in IIS, that the ASP.NET version is 2.0. Then, under the Solution Explorer
    in VWD, select the directory name at the top and right click. At the bottom
    of the menu is Property Pages. Click on this and then select the Start
    Options option. If you notice at the bottom of this page, the Server
    section with the radio button for Use default server marked. If you change
    this to Use custom server, then the textbox next to it will be made active.
    In this textbox, put your IIS website (http://localhost/website). Click OK
    (or Apply and anything else) and each time you open your web pages, it
    should be using the IIS website in place of the built-in Cassini web server.

    Hope this helps!
    --
    Christopher A. Reed

    Christopher Reed, Jan 7, 2006

  3. Newbie

    Newbie Guest

    Many thanks, Chris.

    It works. I can now works normally with IIS. Thanks also for the advice.

    Regards,
    Andy

    Newbie, Jan 12, 2006