newbie css

King of Red Lions

Hi people! I am having trouble with a css menu on my site, I just can't
seem to make it look perfect. My site is www.paradisa.net, I'm sure you
will see the problems as soon as you view the page. In FireFox I would
like to:

Get rid of the gap between each list item.
Stop the right hand border for each list item breaking through the
horizontal borders.
Get the hover background picture to reach the bottom of the div.

In IE the problems are:

Again, the hover background image doesn't reach the borders.
There seems to be some sort of padding to the right of each link.
Again one of the vertical borders for each link seems to keep cutting
through the horizontal border.

I would like the menu to be compatible in IE, FireFox and all other
browsers.

The CSS I used for this is as follows:

#navcontainer ul
{
text-align: center;
background: url("http://biphome.spray.se/karl10/images/navBarBg.gif")
repeat-x 20px;
color: white;
border-top: 1px solid #A8B090;
border-bottom: 1px solid #A8B090;
margin: 0px;
}

#navcontainer ul li
{
display: inline;
padding-left: 0;
padding-right: 0;
padding-bottom: 5px;
padding-top: 5px;
margin: 0px;
width: 70px;
border-right: 1px solid #A8B090;
}

#navcontainer a
{
color: #000;
text-decoration: none;
width: 70px;
border-left: 1px solid #A8B090;
padding: 0 5px 0 5px;
margin: 0px;
}

#navcontainer a:hover { background:
url("http://biphome.spray.se/karl10/images/navBarBgHover.gif") repeat-x
30px; }

I would appreciate any help, many thanks!