    horizontally, though.

    tia!
    -TG

    Tim Gill, Feb 27, 2004

  2. Tim Gill

    Steve R. Guest

    Tim Gill wrote in message ...
    > I am writing a link with the target="_blank" command to get it to open in

    > new window. However, I'd like to constrain the size of the new window to

    > smaller size- perhaps 400X400 or so.

    Lots of info at this link below ...
    http://tinyurl.com/2nm9a

    Steve R., Feb 27, 2004

  3. Tim Gill

    Tim Gill Guest

    thanks a lot- good stuff

    -TG

    Tim Gill, Feb 27, 2004
  4. Tim Gill

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 20:00:53 GMT, "Tim Gill" <0m>
    wrote:

    : hi group. I'm new here- thanks for taking the time to read my question.
    :
    : I am writing a link with the target="_blank" command to get it to open in a
    : new window. However, I'd like to constrain the size of the new window to a
    : smaller size- perhaps 400X400 or so. How would I do this?

    This is a job for Javascript:
    http://www.echoecho.com/toolpopupgenerator.htm

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Feb 27, 2004
  5. Tim Gill

    SpaceGirl Guest

    "Sid Ismail" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 20:00:53 GMT, "Tim Gill" <0m>
    > wrote:
    >
    > : hi group. I'm new here- thanks for taking the time to read my question.
    > :
    > : I am writing a link with the target="_blank" command to get it to open

    in a
    > : new window. However, I'd like to constrain the size of the new window to

    > : smaller size- perhaps 400X400 or so. How would I do this?
    >

    > This is a job for Javascript:
    > http://www.echoecho.com/toolpopupgenerator.htm
    >
    > Sid

    A word of warning before he goes down this path; A *lot* of browers block
    window.open(). The next version of IE also natually blocks them. There were
    some interesting surveys recently too about popups (ie; why 70% of them are
    never viewed, and the other 25% are closed inside 5 seconds). I think
    there's a link to it on www.theregister.co.uk

    miranda

    SpaceGirl, Feb 27, 2004
  6. Tim Gill

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <VlN%b.3609$>, swinger_oo6
    @h0tmail.c0m says...
    > hi group. I'm new here- thanks for taking the time to read my question.
    > I am writing a link with the target="_blank" command to get it to open in a
    > new window. However, I'd like to constrain the size of the new window to a
    > smaller size- perhaps 400X400 or so. How would I do this? Also, will this
    > newly sized window behave normally in terms of vertical scrolling if the
    > content is longer than the 400X400 window? I don't want it to scroll
    > horizontally, though.

    First make sure thats what you want to do.

    Then if you decide it is, search google for "pop-up window maker" and it
    will show you sites that will create the code for you.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Feb 27, 2004
  7. Tim Gill

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 21:34:18 -0000, "SpaceGirl"
    <> wrote:

    : A word of warning before he goes down this path; A *lot* of browers block
    : window.open().

    Well then... he'll have a rough time with _blank also...

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Feb 27, 2004
  8. Tim Gill

    SpaceGirl Guest

    "Sid Ismail" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 21:34:18 -0000, "SpaceGirl"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > : A word of warning before he goes down this path; A *lot* of browers

    block
    > : window.open().
    >

    > Well then... he'll have a rough time with _blank also...
    >
    > Sid

    naaa... redirecting to a blank window does not usually get blocked by popup
    blockers. Popup blockers only block scripted events.

    SpaceGirl, Feb 27, 2004
  9. Tim Gill

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "SpaceGirl" <> wrote:
    >"Sid Ismail" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Well then... he'll have a rough time with _blank also...

    >naaa... redirecting to a blank window does not usually get blocked by popup
    >blockers. Popup blockers only block scripted events.

    Some do, some don't.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Feb 28, 2004
  10. Tim Gill

    SpaceGirl Guest

    "Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message
    > "SpaceGirl" <> wrote:
    > >"Sid Ismail" <> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Well then... he'll have a rough time with _blank also...

    > >naaa... redirecting to a blank window does not usually get blocked by

    popup
    > >blockers. Popup blockers only block scripted events.

    > Some do, some don't.
    >
    > Steve

    I use Norton AntiSpam (which also blocks ads and popups). It doesn't seem to
    block windows being opened. It seems like a daft idea anyway... to get a
    window to open via HTML, a use must CLICK on something, which means the user
    chose to do it. It would seem very strange to block that sort of event. On
    the other hand scripted events which are generally done without the user
    clicking anything are blocked, and should be :) nasty popups!

    SpaceGirl, Feb 28, 2004
  11. Tim Gill

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "SpaceGirl" <> wrote:

    >I use Norton AntiSpam (which also blocks ads and popups). It doesn't seem to
    >block windows being opened.

    So that one doesn't. Some pop-up blockers work in a very aggressive
    way by stopping all calls from the browser to the operating system's
    window opening functions.

    >It seems like a daft idea anyway... to get a
    >window to open via HTML, a use must CLICK on something, which means the user
    >chose to do it.

    That means he chose to visit the resource linked to from that link. It
    does not mean that he chose to have that resource displayed in a new
    window. That's an important difference. If a link is coded to open in
    a new window then there should be something that tells the user this
    before he clicks on the link.

    And don't forget that the browsers themselves can (and some do) offer
    the user the ability to never open new windows - so even with _blank
    in the HTML the link will still open in the original window.

    Steve Pugh, Feb 28, 2004
  12. SpaceGirl wrote:

    > I use Norton AntiSpam (which also blocks ads and popups). It doesn't seem to
    > block windows being opened.

    Opera was (IIRC) the first of the major browsers to include built-in
    pop-up blocking, but this blocked *all* pop-ups: ones opened automatically
    but also ones opened as a result of user actions.

    Mozilla copied this feature from Opera (as it so often does!) but also
    introduced a block-unrequested-pop-ups option, which in Opera 7 got copied
    back.

    So certainly there are pop-up blockers that block all pop-ups.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Feb 28, 2004