    How to install python under DOS and is there any Wxpython-like can be
    installed under dos?

    Thanks.
    john san, Feb 16, 2005

  2. john san

    David S. Guest

    Re: [newbie]How to install python under DOS and is there anyWxpython can be installed under dos?

    john san <jkjone2002 <at> att.net> writes:

    > How to install python under DOS and is there any Wxpython-like can be
    > installed under dos?
    >
    > Thanks.

    If you are looking for Windows installers then, yes. See:
    http://www.wxpython.org/
    http://www.wxpython.org/download.php#binaries

    If you are really looking for dos binaries, I guess you need to
    build them yourself.
    David S., Feb 16, 2005

  3. john san

    Fuzzyman Guest

    Fuzzyman, Feb 16, 2005
  4. Re: [newbie]How to install python under DOS and is there anyWxpython can be installed under dos?

    john san wrote:
    > How to install python under DOS and is there any Wxpython-like can be
    > installed under dos?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Are you actually still running a pure DOS machine? Or are you running
    the dos prompt through Windows?
    Daniel Bowett, Feb 16, 2005
  5. john san

    Harlin Guest

    Any reason you're asking about wxPython for "DOS"? Just curious.
    Harlin, Feb 16, 2005
  6. john san

    john san Guest

    pure DOS, old pc, used for teaching . want show some "windows" under DOS
    (under Python).

    john san, Feb 16, 2005
  7. john san

    john san Guest

    Just want to show "windows" under dos without MsWindows. Also find some
    difficulty to simply install WxPython under directory(DOS) and then run,
    which is very good thing if it is just like Java.
    I want a simple solution for Python to install to DOS and then can have
    "Windows" running.( to be used under mod-xbox which support only limited
    python via using xboxmediacenter. (xbox using stripped NT OS).

    john san, Feb 16, 2005
  8. john san

    Jeff Shannon Guest

    john san wrote:

    > Just want to show "windows" under dos without MsWindows. Also find some
    > difficulty to simply install WxPython under directory(DOS) and then run,
    > which is very good thing if it is just like Java.

    I don't think you'll have any luck finding wxPython for DOS. A bit of
    a looksee around the wxWidgets website (wxPython is a wrapper for
    wxWidgets) mentions being available for Win3.1 and up, as well as
    various levels of *nix installs (wxGTK, wxMotif, wxX11), but no
    mention of DOS. I suppose that a very ambitious person could perhaps
    get the wxUniversal port to run on DOS, but I presume that this would
    be far from trivial.

    On the other hand, you probably could find and/or create some sort of
    basic text-only windowing library. It won't be wxPython, nor anything
    even close to that level of sophistication, but that's what happens
    when you insist on using an OS that's been obsolete for a decade or
    more. ;)

    Jeff Shannon
    Technician/Programmer
    Credit International
    Jeff Shannon, Feb 16, 2005
  9. john san

    john san Guest

    Actually the "windows" running very good under the xbox-NTOS via
    xboxmediacenter. its just limited functions(not easy to programming the
    "windows" prog.), if we can find WxPython-like can be ported (I can import *
    from it to my xboxPython) )it will be a great great ......... You will have
    HD screen and web surfing on HDTV and computing on HDTV. think about it!
    That is a real thing the python-like lang. should to do otherwise just a
    garbage(toy).

    john san, Feb 16, 2005
  10. john san skrev:

    > pure DOS, old pc, used for teaching . want show some "windows" under
    > DOS (under Python).

    curses is a text-based interface that will let you build windowed
    applications like you could with the crt unit in Turbo Pascal of those
    golden days. I've no idea if anyone's compiled it for the 16-bits DOS
    platform, though.
    --
    Leif Biberg Kristensen
    Leif B. Kristensen, Feb 17, 2005
  11. john san skrev:

    > Actually the "windows" running very good under the xbox-NTOS via
    > xboxmediacenter. its just limited functions(not easy to programming
    > the "windows" prog.), if we can find WxPython-like can be ported (I
    > can import *
    > from it to my xboxPython) )it will be a great great ......... You
    > will have HD screen and web surfing on HDTV and computing on HDTV.
    > think about it! That is a real thing the python-like lang. should to
    > do otherwise just a garbage(toy).

    You can run Linux with MythTV on an XBox. Does all the things you want,
    and of course it will run WxPython.
    --
    Leif Biberg Kristensen
    Leif B. Kristensen, Feb 17, 2005
  12. john san

    Lucas Raab Guest

    Leif B. Kristensen wrote:
    > john san skrev:
    >

    >>Actually the "windows" running very good under the xbox-NTOS via
    >>xboxmediacenter. its just limited functions(not easy to programming
    >>the "windows" prog.), if we can find WxPython-like can be ported (I
    >>can import *
    >>from it to my xboxPython) )it will be a great great ......... You
    >>will have HD screen and web surfing on HDTV and computing on HDTV.
    >>think about it! That is a real thing the python-like lang. should to
    >>do otherwise just a garbage(toy).

    > You can run Linux with MythTV on an XBox. Does all the things you want,
    > and of course it will run WxPython.

    But does that involve modding the Xbox?? As in messing with the hardware??
    Lucas Raab, Feb 17, 2005
  13. john san

    Fuzzyman Guest

    john san wrote:
    > Actually the "windows" running very good under the xbox-NTOS via
    > xboxmediacenter. its just limited functions(not easy to programming

    the
    > "windows" prog.), if we can find WxPython-like can be ported (I can

    import *
    > from it to my xboxPython) )it will be a great great ......... You

    will have
    > HD screen and web surfing on HDTV and computing on HDTV. think about

    it!
    > That is a real thing the python-like lang. should to do otherwise

    just a
    > garbage(toy).

    I assume you mean that without python the Xbox is just a toy......

    Regards,

    Fuzzy
    Fuzzyman, Feb 17, 2005
  14. john san

    john san Guest

    Of course you can install Linux on xbox but its too "heavy" to the box.
    Since the box already has the OS and we have the prog which support the
    "Python" , what we need now is only let that "Python" can be easy to coding
    and to show windows-like program.

    john san, Feb 17, 2005
  15. john san

    john san Guest

    oh, ya.

    john san, Feb 17, 2005
  16. john san

    john san Guest

    yes. u need mod-xbox. since its be easy done and we already have OS,
    "Python" support what we need now is only that "Python" can easy to coding
    and show "window" program just like wt we can do under Windows.

    john san, Feb 17, 2005
  17. john san wrote:

    > yes. u need mod-xbox. since its be easy done and we already have OS,
    > "Python" support what we need now is only that "Python" can easy to coding
    > and show "window" program just like wt we can do under Windows.

    You can't. DOS does not allow for graphical output - at least not in a way
    python supports it by standard toolkits like wxPython. That has nothing to
    do with python, btw. You won't find anything else that can do that - apart
    from some really old legacy toolkits that certainly aren't available today.

    Use either Linux with frambuffer output (see freevo) or a "real" Windows
    that is capable of showing a graphical ui.

    Maybe somehow the pygame sdl wrapper can be used for gui-stuff. SDL has had
    a DOS mode. But it is discontinued.
    --
    Regards,

    Diez B. Roggisch
    Diez B. Roggisch, Feb 17, 2005
  18. Re: [newbie]How to install python under DOS and is there anyWxpython can be installed under dos?

    "Diez B. Roggisch" <> writes:

    > Maybe somehow the pygame sdl wrapper can be used for gui-stuff. SDL has had
    > a DOS mode. But it is discontinued.

    What exactly is discontinued? pygame? SDL?

    Thomas
    Thomas Heller, Feb 17, 2005
  19. john san

    Jeff Shannon Guest

    Leif B. Kristensen wrote:
    > john san skrev:
    >
    >>pure DOS, old pc, used for teaching . want show some "windows" under
    >>DOS (under Python).

    > curses is a text-based interface that will let you build windowed
    > applications like you could with the crt unit in Turbo Pascal of those
    > golden days. I've no idea if anyone's compiled it for the 16-bits DOS
    > platform, though.

    Curses is a *nix interface. There are attempts at a work-alike
    package for Windows, which by all reports are not very successful.
    Whether any of those would maintain their already-limited
    functionality under DOS is questionable.

    There *are* similar-but-not-compatible libraries for DOS... or perhaps
    I should say *were*, because I have no idea where one might find such
    a thing now. (Though I presume that Google would be the best starting
    place.) One would then need to find/create a Python wrapper for that
    library...

    Jeff Shannon
    Jeff Shannon, Feb 17, 2005
  20. Thomas Heller wrote:

    > "Diez B. Roggisch" <> writes:
    >
    >> Maybe somehow the pygame sdl wrapper can be used for gui-stuff. SDL has
    >> had a DOS mode. But it is discontinued.

    > What exactly is discontinued? pygame? SDL?

    The dos mode of sdl.
    --
    Regards,

    Diez B. Roggisch