[newbie]How to install python under DOS and is there any Wxpython can be installed under dos?

john san

How to install python under DOS and is there any Wxpython-like can be
installed under dos?

Thanks.

Daniel Bowett

john said:
How to install python under DOS and is there any Wxpython-like can be
installed under dos?

Thanks.

Are you actually still running a pure DOS machine? Or are you running
the dos prompt through Windows?

john san

pure DOS, old pc, used for teaching . want show some "windows" under DOS
(under Python).

john san

Just want to show "windows" under dos without MsWindows. Also find some
difficulty to simply install WxPython under directory(DOS) and then run,
which is very good thing if it is just like Java.
I want a simple solution for Python to install to DOS and then can have
"Windows" running.( to be used under mod-xbox which support only limited
python via using xboxmediacenter. (xbox using stripped NT OS).

Jeff Shannon

john said:
Just want to show "windows" under dos without MsWindows. Also find some
difficulty to simply install WxPython under directory(DOS) and then run,
which is very good thing if it is just like Java.

I don't think you'll have any luck finding wxPython for DOS. A bit of
a looksee around the wxWidgets website (wxPython is a wrapper for
wxWidgets) mentions being available for Win3.1 and up, as well as
various levels of *nix installs (wxGTK, wxMotif, wxX11), but no
mention of DOS. I suppose that a very ambitious person could perhaps
get the wxUniversal port to run on DOS, but I presume that this would
be far from trivial.

On the other hand, you probably could find and/or create some sort of
basic text-only windowing library. It won't be wxPython, nor anything
even close to that level of sophistication, but that's what happens
when you insist on using an OS that's been obsolete for a decade or
more. ;)

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International

john san

Actually the "windows" running very good under the xbox-NTOS via
xboxmediacenter. its just limited functions(not easy to programming the
"windows" prog.), if we can find WxPython-like can be ported (I can import *
from it to my xboxPython) )it will be a great great ......... You will have
HD screen and web surfing on HDTV and computing on HDTV. think about it!
That is a real thing the python-like lang. should to do otherwise just a
garbage(toy).

Leif B. Kristensen

john san skrev:
pure DOS, old pc, used for teaching . want show some "windows" under
DOS (under Python).

curses is a text-based interface that will let you build windowed
applications like you could with the crt unit in Turbo Pascal of those
golden days. I've no idea if anyone's compiled it for the 16-bits DOS
platform, though.

Leif B. Kristensen

john san skrev:
Actually the "windows" running very good under the xbox-NTOS via
xboxmediacenter. its just limited functions(not easy to programming
the "windows" prog.), if we can find WxPython-like can be ported (I
can import *
from it to my xboxPython) )it will be a great great ......... You
will have HD screen and web surfing on HDTV and computing on HDTV.
think about it! That is a real thing the python-like lang. should to
do otherwise just a garbage(toy).

You can run Linux with MythTV on an XBox. Does all the things you want,
and of course it will run WxPython.

Lucas Raab

Leif said:
john san skrev:

You can run Linux with MythTV on an XBox. Does all the things you want,
and of course it will run WxPython.

But does that involve modding the Xbox?? As in messing with the hardware??

Fuzzyman

john said:
Actually the "windows" running very good under the xbox-NTOS via
xboxmediacenter. its just limited functions(not easy to programming the
"windows" prog.), if we can find WxPython-like can be ported (I can import *
from it to my xboxPython) )it will be a great great ......... You will have
HD screen and web surfing on HDTV and computing on HDTV. think about it!
That is a real thing the python-like lang. should to do otherwise just a
garbage(toy).

I assume you mean that without python the Xbox is just a toy......

Regards,

Fuzzy

john san

Of course you can install Linux on xbox but its too "heavy" to the box.
Since the box already has the OS and we have the prog which support the
"Python" , what we need now is only let that "Python" can be easy to coding
and to show windows-like program.

john san

yes. u need mod-xbox. since its be easy done and we already have OS,
"Python" support what we need now is only that "Python" can easy to coding
and show "window" program just like wt we can do under Windows.

Diez B. Roggisch

john said:
yes. u need mod-xbox. since its be easy done and we already have OS,
"Python" support what we need now is only that "Python" can easy to coding
and show "window" program just like wt we can do under Windows.

You can't. DOS does not allow for graphical output - at least not in a way
python supports it by standard toolkits like wxPython. That has nothing to
do with python, btw. You won't find anything else that can do that - apart
from some really old legacy toolkits that certainly aren't available today.

Use either Linux with frambuffer output (see freevo) or a "real" Windows
that is capable of showing a graphical ui.

Maybe somehow the pygame sdl wrapper can be used for gui-stuff. SDL has had
a DOS mode. But it is discontinued.

Thomas Heller

Diez B. Roggisch said:
Maybe somehow the pygame sdl wrapper can be used for gui-stuff. SDL has had
a DOS mode. But it is discontinued.

What exactly is discontinued? pygame? SDL?

Thomas

Jeff Shannon

Leif said:
john san skrev:

curses is a text-based interface that will let you build windowed
applications like you could with the crt unit in Turbo Pascal of those
golden days. I've no idea if anyone's compiled it for the 16-bits DOS
platform, though.

Curses is a *nix interface. There are attempts at a work-alike
package for Windows, which by all reports are not very successful.
Whether any of those would maintain their already-limited
functionality under DOS is questionable.

There *are* similar-but-not-compatible libraries for DOS... or perhaps
I should say *were*, because I have no idea where one might find such
a thing now. (Though I presume that Google would be the best starting
place.) One would then need to find/create a Python wrapper for that
library...

Jeff Shannon